Need help with picking guitar as gift!
Jul 11, 2007 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

GlorytheWiz825

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys,

Need some help from the guitar gurus of head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's my girlfriend's birthday coming up, and I would really like to get her something nice. I was thinking of getting her a guitar since she mentioned that her current one "sucks". Anyway, I don't know the first thing about guitars. All I know is that she doesn't seem to be into electric guitars.

So what do you guys suggest I get her? I would prefer if you guys can point me to the place where I can purchase it. The vendor must also ship to Canada! My price limit is $300 USD.

Thanks everyone!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 18
Great Canadian guitars here http://www.seagullguitars.com/intro.htm but you really should find a local shop, spend a while, and play all in your price range to find the "pick of the litter" in terms of a sound quality that stands out for you and a feel that you like. Get the clerk to show you an easy chord or two so you can get a sense. It's really the only way to buy a new guitar.

Jul 11, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 18
You should find out if she likes steel string or nylon string guitars. If nylon, then within that price range, I'd recommend Yamaha, Alvarez, or Takamine as a good machine made classical guitar in that price range. The main thing you should look for is that the guitar should have a solid top (a solid spruce or ceder...no plywood). That's going to be the main difference with a $150 guitar vs $200-300.

You probably would have the best luck going to a "Guitar Center" or other similar music shop in your area. That way you can listen for yourself as to what guitar sounds the sweetest. They may even have a nice used guitar that gives you more value.

This site indicates which guitars can ship to Canada:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navig...=guitar&page=1

Jul 11, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 18
For standard size that will hold up really well over time and going anywhere, I recommend an Ovation. Mine is coming up on it's 40th birthday and going strong. Kaman (owner of Ovation) makes both handcrafted (Ovation) and manufactured (Celebrity) and the latter is much more price friendly.

I recently picked up a Washburn Rover (RO10) and it rocks! It's a travel guitar, but the best one I have found to date and is only $150 new, including a case, DVD and other extras. Depending on how much she plays and travels, she might enjoy it as a compliment to her other one. Worth being checked out if there's a store near you that has one in stock. Good luck!

*The Rover has a solid spruce top and comes in both a steel and nylon version, although the nylon is a little harder to find since Washburn recently discontinued making them.

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 18
I would take her to a store and let her choose. A guitar (like any instrument), is a very personal thing. Unless she told you a specific model/make, I'd seriously consider letting her choose.

GAD

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 18
Thanks for the quick advice guys. I agree it's better to let her choose the guitar rather than surprise her with one she doesn't want.

I am keep a tab of all the recommendations so far.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 18
x2 on letting her decide, but that wouldn't be the same surprise then. My husband wouldn't dream of getting me an instrument (or related) without first asking me, even tho he spent many a hour being my roadie. LOL... Lemme tell you he shed no tears when I finally sold off my Fender quad-reverb tube amp. That thing weighed at least 80-100lbs. He did once buy me an Adcom item... a light... for creating th right atmosphere for music and movies. It's nifty!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubcaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally don't like ovations, not bad plugged in, but I hate how the sound unplugged.

The older Ovations sound good, it's the newer manufactured Celebritys that sound aweful. Back when mine was made, they didn't put in pickups. My signature model is still one of the best they ever made and I've had many a person drool on it... and lemme tell you, getting that dried drool off requires quite a lot of elbow grease! Seriously tho, Ovations are not for everyone. It's like a Grado... a love or hate relationship.

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #10 of 18
The only guitar I have consistently recommended in that price range is the Takamine G-series. The quality and playability even at $300 has been consistent, and they sound really great, too. I'd also recommend some guitars in the Celebrity line by Ovation - I own several vintage Ovations and they're really nice guitars, and the newer guitars impress me all the same - watch out though, as they do sound quite different.

Also, I recently got a Larrivee guitar - they're made up in Canada. They make some fantastic lower-price point guitars out of all solid wood. Check them out.

I didn't give you specific models to look at because most companies have entire lines within a price range, and they all sound quite different - take a play around in and out of your price range. Martin, Taylor and most other companies have guitars around $300 as well, as that is a very popular price point (sub $500 guitars is a huge market).

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #12 of 18
Definitely let her choose. She may even want to buy something a little more expensive and pay the difference herself.

Not sure how often you make it into T.O., but for me, there is really only one guitar shop in this city, The Twelfth Fret.

You can purchase a Seagull there (excellent recommendation in that price range) and the staff are all incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.

Jul 11, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #13 of 18
Really the best way to do it, is to let her choose a guitar that she likes at a local shop. No two acoustic guitars are alike even the same two models. Some just feel 'right' while others are off.

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhashenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for the gift certificate...

With this option if she was to find $500 guitar she likes she could pay the difference out of her pocket.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Everyone wins, you for a thoughtful gift, she gets the guitar she wants, and the shop sells a more expensive guitar.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #15 of 18
Looks like this is the store in town for you-

http://www.theoctavemc.com/

They sell Breedloves, but those run over your budget. The next best are the Crafter axes, and the Crafter GAE27/N is a solid top guitar in your price range, and it's Grand Auditorium size, which should not be big for her at all - take her in there and have her check it out!

http://www.crafterguitars.com/galler...c/gae_27_n.php

Oh, and avoid the Washburns, you can get better for your money, even for a new axe.

And check that store's used section. You never know if a Guild or something was traded in for a Breedlove, and I LOVE Guilds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back