Need help with new cables for Shure SE535 (Asian Reds)
May 6, 2014 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

lostinthesauce

100+ Head-Fier
I need the gurus' help.

First the back story to allow informed recommendations.  I enjoy value, thus my gear is low-end mdifi,  Source is Fiio X3 feeding a Fiio E11 (shortly to be upgraded to the E12).  Currently using that with the SE535 and a variety of Audio Technica on-ears (ESW9 for the tubey sound, ES88 for the quick stylish moments and even sometimes the AD900X when I am at home).  Had previously had the SE425 (sadly departed due to my stupidity) with the same setup and replaced the stock cable with Fiio's RC-SE1 which I enjoyed immensely and caused me a bit of sorrow when the cable frayed through just above the 3.5mm plug.  At any rate, when I was in the shop buying the daughter's birthday gifts, I decided to upgrade to a more 'fun' set of IEM.  Thus the purchase of the 535.  However, I am pining for that 425 sound with the 535's fun; meaning I want that 425 detail back with the bass from the 535.

As I was so impressed with the change that the last cable brought I started searching.  Two different cables caught my eye, both from Brimar.  One is the Brimar Audio Monarch AG which appears to be a solid silver cable with the following specs: 7N Super OCC Super OCC Ag 26 AWG x 4 conductors, FEP Insulated.  The other is the the Brimar Audio Monarch SXC which says it is a silver plated copper cable with the following specs: 7N Super OCC Litz SXC 26 AWG x 8 conductors (SOCC Ag plated SOCC Cu), FEP Insulated.  

As there's a whopping 1,000฿ (~30USD) difference between the two there's little reason for me to worry about the cost difference.  I am leaning towards the SXC model due to the x8 connectors as I assume it will be more robust...and possibly more flexible due to the copper core.  Should twice the cables provide equivalent amount of upgrade I am looking for as I am not quite sure whether the composition of the exterior affects the end result or not.  Or would going for pure silver cables be best?

Postscript:  I mainly listen to female vocals but I am fairly eclectic; the only genres I don't listen to are Rap/Hip Hop and the ecstasy fueled ones (EDM/dubstep/electronica/whatever).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back