Need Help with my RE Zeros
Jan 22, 2011 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hypote

New Head-Fier
Hello all, Ive been browsing these boards for some time and I decided after some time to get the Re Zero Limited Edition phones from Hifiman, After reading all the reviews I had understood that these phones are not bass heavy and are geared toward more detail oriented listening. I have to say that I enjoy them in that aspect but I feel that the bass is lacking to the point that I cant enjoy songs that were meant to be heard with more punch. So here is my question: 

Will using an amp like the Fiio E7 or Ibasso T4 etc, enhance the bass significantly but still keep a clear sound?

or 

Are these phones always going to sound weak when it comes to bass no matter what I do?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 7
I've owned the RE0 but I didn't like the fit and I preferred my ER4 as a bass-light, detail oriented IEM. I've also owned a T4 which has a subtle bass boost IIRC.

If you have a DAP with a good custom EQ like a Cowon, that can help a lot.  Everyone knows that the ER4 is somewhat bass-light(these I still own). I own a XM5 portable amp which has bass boost at 100 Hz (6dB). This works great for giving the ER4 a solid bottom end but it still can't touch my Westone 3 for big bass which I add no bass to. Using bass boost should not interfere with upper frequency clarity with a quality IEM.

One of the better amps with bass boost will work I think. Having a DAP  with a good EQ is also very helpful. Using a DAP that can use Rockbox firmware is even better.

Jan 23, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
 I have to say that I enjoy them in that aspect but I feel that the bass is lacking to the point that I cant enjoy songs that were meant to be heard with more punch.

You are making exactly the same mistake as hundreds who have gone before you - trying to find kit which will remediate poor headphone selection. The difference is that they often didnt have the kind of explicit warnings that the RE0 has on this board. I would add that HiFiMan's quality control on these phones is, in my experience, sadly lacking.

I strongly suggest that you look at alternative headphone choices before trying to find a 'bass monster' amp - such an amp will almost certainly sound coloured and be a poor match with successive headphone purchases.

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 7
You should have gotten a different, bassier 'phone from the beginning.  =\

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
You should have gotten a different, bassier 'phone from the beginning.  =\

Yea I think the biggest problem that I encountered was that I did not recognize how bass light they were even after reading many forum posts. Most posts seemed to focus on how great a value they were, and after seeing how the RE zeros were apparently updated to increase bass response I figured it might be in line with my older run of the mill earphones in terms of bass.  Despite the whole bass issue I really love them when listening to most music. They really have opened my eyes to a higher quality audio experience. Ill make sure to do way more research next time to avoid a mistake like this in the future. Thanks for your responses everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back