Need help with choosing my firs good headphones.
Apr 7, 2013 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rudolfsr

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for comfort, sq, and durability. 
I will be using them at home with a pc for extended periods of time (up to 5hrs).
So far I've been looking at Grado sr125i and Sennheiser hd 558 headphones, but I want to know if there is anything better in the 200$ price range.
I don't have an amp as of yet, but I do plan on making or buying one.
I know that Grados can get uncomfortable for some, but I was thinking that there may be some mods that I can do to make them more comfortable.
As you've already probably guessed I'm not a native English speaker so I'm sorry that you've had to endure my English.
Where I live the prices are very different from those in North America so please try to give me options to choose from.
If you're curious about the prices you can visit kurpirkt.lv, there you can compare prices. When I say the prices are different I mean everything is more expensive.
For example ath-m50 cost about 260 usd, but the hd 558's are 200 usd.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and once again sorry for my bad grammar and composition.

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 10
Laipni lūdzam to head-fi
Sorry about your wallet.

Here's the thing. I had some issues searching in latvian websites. Can you buy on amazon.de? or other websites? People can suggest you thousand of options but if you can't find them...

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 10
Hello!

I hope you understand about open and closed headphone. Open leaks sound while close do not. Open you get more soundstage but less bass. With closed, you get less soundstage but more bass. However, these are just majority. Some closed headphone might have wide soundstage but lacks bass. "Open leaks sound while close do not" fixed unlike sound sig.

For US200 and since the price might be higher, I would highly recommend you the HD439 for electronics and a little bit of rocks, UE4000 would be excellent with most of the modern musics. SRH-840 is great with everything but master nothing.

I hope this help!
Billson :)

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 10
I am familiar with the concept of open and closed headphone design.
I'm not a bass head and I'll be using them at home so there's no need for the closed design headphone for me.
Thank you for replying.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #6 of 10
U should tell us your music preferences, if you like forward sound and prefer rock/metal than Grado SR225i are awesome headphones, yes there is that comfort thing, but it goes away after some time and adjusting headband. Other than this little "issue" , they are unbeatable for me at the street price.

When I'am in mood I listen kind of everything on them, pop/dance/house/rock/metal/hardcore/jazz .... actually thinking about getting RS1 so might even sell them if u would be interested.

As for cheaper stuff I think CAL! are great.

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 10
Well I listen to all types of rock,jazz and some classical music, but I will be using the headphones for movies and video games too.
At this point I'm almost decided on buying the hd 558's because they seem like the best allrounder headphone in my price range.
But If the Grados or anything else has much better sound quality than the 558's I would like to know.
I'm buying the headphones for next few years, that's why I want to buy the right ones.
Thank you for replying.

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 10
Didn't hear 558's. But Grado SR225i is exciting headphone, love them since I got them. Bass punch will be definitely much better on SR225i , depends on what kind of sound you are looking for, I'am sure 558's are good headphones also but there will be huge difference in sound signature between these two in my opinion.

Best way would be listen to both before you buy them.

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #10 of 10
It's out of my price range, but I heard that there is a mod you can do to make the 558's sound 90% of the 598 sound.
I think I'm going to go with the 558's and buy sr60i used just to know how grado sounds compared to sennheiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back