Need Help With Amplified IEM's
May 3, 2014 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Eric95M

100+ Head-Fier
I don't hear well (an understatement), I use a Fiio E12 (upgraded from E11) to drive my iPod with a line out dock.  I use almost all of the E12's power. To the point the IEM's get warm in my ears.  I have only found 2 IEM's that are able to stand up to the usage I put them through.  I have tried S4's, X5's, X7's,  Audio technica, Marley's, Sennheisers, Jlabs, etc.  The only 2 that are holding up are the Jlab epics and the Meelectronics M-Duo.  These are both leaving a little to be desired.  Each is good in its own way.
Does anyone have any suggestions?  I don't have a huge budget.  But, has been my experience the higher price you pay, the less power they can handle as it is about clarity etc. 

Thanks
Eric

May 3, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #4 of 6
sounds like you need something with very high sensitivity/low impedance, if I am reading correctly that you need more volume than most people. Many multi-ba iem's have much lower impedance than dynamic microdrivers and single ba iem's.

Also, you're statement about higher price, less power it can handle is not really true. In both meanings of the term "power" (amplification headroom for sound quality and pure loudness), many expensive iem's, notably multi-ba iem's, have quite low sensitivity, and can easily be driven to loud volumes. The higher end the iem, the higher the headroom and potential for sound quality scaling with amplification as well.

May 3, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 6
Thank you for the reply ethanc.  I am an enthusiast, sure not an expert.  The reason I typed that regarding the higher end IEM's is, the Klipsch X7's which were the most expensive ones I have bought to date, lasted about 2 minutes before the right bud tore itself up.  I may have gotten a bad pair.  Just, that is why I typed what I did.  Would you think the Meelectronics A161 would be a decent candidate?  They have the absolute best customer service of any of the manufactureres I dealt with... so far anyway. 
Thanks,
Eric
I apologize for posting this in the wrong section of the forums.  If there were a way for me to delete or move it, I would.

May 3, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 6
I suggest looking at GR07 Classic, if there's a driver that can get loud without distortion and take a beating it's the Vsonic drivers. Members put them them through 300 hours hardcore burn in with heavy bass music and they survive. I've personally not heard an IEM go louder without distortion. Plus they're 50ohm impedance which will work well. You can find them for about $99 USD from Mp4nation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back