need help with a chinese character
Dec 9, 2009 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

timmyGCSE

500+ Head-Fier
I'm going to get this image as custom artwork on the right shell of JH13's:
turtle_tattoo_drawings.jpg

but I would like to know what the chinese (I assume its chinese) character in the middle means. Being the ignorant soul I am I would have assumed it meant turtle but this is the character for turtle apparently:
turtle.gif

:-/

I would be really grateful if someone could enlighten me
smily_headphones1.gif
many thanks

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 22
Ah, my Chinese friend just took a look at this page. The symbol on the turtle does mean turtle (gweh), but the one below is simply a simplified version. I hope this helps...
beerchug.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, my Chinese friend just took a look at this page. The symbol on the turtle does mean turtle (gweh), but the one below is simply a simplified version. I hope this helps...
beerchug.gif

ahh great thankyou very much to you and your friend.
If you friend could be ever so helpful, could he please tell me what this now means:
1260380615.jpg

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The two words 蒂姆 is the name "Tim" translated into Chinese. Did your friend do that on purpose?
tongue.gif

excellent
biggrin.gif
thankyou very much..so the whole phrase now says Tim Turtle..perfect!
Naa I changed it by googling timmy in chinese and then photoshopped..(well..paint haha) it in.
thats perfect because the reason I have a turtle in the first place is my dearest's nick name for me is timmy turtle (
redface.gif
), will look great on a lime green transparent background

I owe you all a beer
beerchug.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 22
I think the original version is cooler. Well, for a traditional Chinese reader at least
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the original version is cooler. Well, for a traditional Chinese reader at least
biggrin.gif

I also prefer the traditional characters. They're so cool but its so darn difficult to remember those strokes.

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

biggrin.gif

well..lol..yea I suppose like you say if you are a traditional chinese reader but I guess the second one has a personal meaning
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 22
With the right font installed, you can easily change the simplified Chinese to traditional Chinese characters (well, need to know Chinese first of course). Actually I am installing some old Chinese font right now, give me a few moment and I can show you all the differences.

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #10 of 22
Here you go: all the same words, different font / writing style.

attachment.php

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #11 of 22
I see your friend is moking you without you knowing it. not very nice.

龟 ~ 王八

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see your friend is moking you without you knowing it. not very nice.

龟 ~ 王八

Post #5? As the symbol of longevity for the Chinese, it is not necessary a mocking word.

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #13 of 22
????

what am I missing :-/

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I'm a traditional Chinese reader (A terrible one) but I'm thinking how to actually write the word and how many strokes it's going to take O_o It looks so complicated, more complicated than any word I've seen.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a traditional Chinese reader (A terrible one) but I'm thinking how to actually write the word and how many strokes it's going to take O_o It looks so complicated, more complicated than any word I've seen.

Surprisingly, it's only 16 strokes. Here's a Japanese site I found with the proper stroke order: 漢字の正しい書き順(筆順):「龜」の筆順(書き順)です. (The Japanese usually simplify the character to 亀).

@Timmy: Can't wait to see the final product. I'm sure it'll turn out great!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back