Need help upgrading...looking at DBA-02, GR07, ER-4S, RE262, etc...
Mar 25, 2013 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kylezo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi ya'll.

Been using some FXT-90's for a long time now. I love them, and recently switched them out for a pair of M5s (MG7 driver). I noticed a huge shift in sound with the M5s which have a much darker signature and learned a lot about my preferences. So now, I'm looking for a new set of IEM's with a more analytical, spacious sound. I love detail, separation, and imaging. One thing I also loved about the FXT-90 is it's dynamic presentation. It has a musical quality and much more intimate portrayal of vocals and strings, as compared with say the M5s, which sound distant in comparison. This is great for some music, but not most of what I listen to (which tends to be orchestrated film score or soundtrack type of music, or intimate acoustic stuff).

So, I'm wondering if anyone who has gone through these IEM's or digs a similar sound can weigh in on what might be a good choice for what I'm looking for? Some of these are getting hard to find, too...so alternative suggestions are always welcome!

Thanks!
Kyle

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 5
First off (just in case you didn't notice)- http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-276-iems-compared-sennheiser-cx980-ie7-added-03-23-13-p-655#post_6492044

Analytical, spacious, detail, separation, imaging - The DBA-02/B2 or the ER4S would more about width than sheer lateral size. If you can stand the FXT90 sparkle though and wouldn't mind the loss in depth they'd be solid choices (would lean more towards latter for build and isolation, even with the price difference). Otherwise, something with a slightly more depth and better imaging, not to mention similar presentations/signatures would be the R-50 or (something more soft and balanced out/warm) the GR01. 

If you want a good compromise between what you're asking for, and the FXT90 signature the GR07 would be a cinch though. Stage size and imaging would be the best out of the 4, great detail and texture. A bit warmed over but tonality is still rather neutral. Curious as to why the RE272 weren't being considered since the RE262 was mentioned already. 

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi Twin, thanks for the reply. the 272 is definitely on my short list, just didn't want to fill the title with a thousand IEMs, haha. Thank you for weighing in. I have been through the dozens of thread all around, and my apologies for posting a new thread (I guess), but I was looking to get info from some folks who have similar taste to mine and/or have owned or tested these particular IEMs, so that's why I decided to post my own.

I never really felt the FXT90 had a "sparkle" per se - really no sibilance or anything like that that I noticed. But your input on depth is much appreciated - that's definitely a very important element to me. I'll take a look at the R-50 and GR01.

Also, what would your thoughts on the GR07 vs the 272 be? The GR07 is becoming harder to find since the mkii release, but there are some original version ones floating around the FS forum that I'm considering. I know the highs are supposedly worked over in the mkii, but the price increase is pretty dramatic, so I'd probably stick with mki.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Hi Twin, thanks for the reply. the 272 is definitely on my short list, just didn't want to fill the title with a thousand IEMs, haha. Thank you for weighing in. I have been through the dozens of thread all around, and my apologies for posting a new thread (I guess), but I was looking to get info from some folks who have similar taste to mine and/or have owned or tested these particular IEMs, so that's why I decided to post my own.

I never really felt the FXT90 had a "sparkle" per se - really no sibilance or anything like that that I noticed. But your input on depth is much appreciated - that's definitely a very important element to me. I'll take a look at the R-50 and GR01.

Also, what would your thoughts on the GR07 vs the 272 be? The GR07 is becoming harder to find since the mkii release, but there are some original version ones floating around the FS forum that I'm considering. I know the highs are supposedly worked over in the mkii, but the price increase is pretty dramatic, so I'd probably stick with mki.

MK1 VS MKII - personally didn't mind any sonic difference (I dare say there might not have been any) but the cabling is much, much better. Supple and manageable. Worth the extra price? Maybe. Might have been a bit too smoothed out as the cable cinch didn't stay as secure.

The GR07s are a bit warmer. Bass has more texture, less tactile and not as mixed together with the mids. Treble is smoother on the HiFiMANs. Stage is still larger on the GR07s. Good focus on the RE272s though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back