Need help regarding a little home set-up.
Jun 6, 2016 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Kapitein

New Head-Fier
First of all, thanks for possibly helping me out.

I'm in the market for a little home system (budget being $400 $500)
This is for a small system which I'm hoping to comprise of 2 speakers (and a subwoofer?) just for my apartments living room. The system doesn't have to be anything crazy but would like it to be at least decent. This will be exclusively used for music
A friend suggested me hooking 2x KRK RP5 G3's to my PC, however I'm not really where to go from there, given my minimal knowledge regarding monitors and the likes.

Would I be better of going the way of a HI-FI system, or would studio monitors be a better choice?

Someone who could help a slacker out? <3

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 29
For studio monitors, look into JBL LSR305. Many people find that they compete well with the best of the <$500 monitors. This works well if you want a desktop computer setup.

The advantage of going receiver and passive speakers is that you can continue to build it from there if you want into a surround system that is flexible enough to be used with or without your computer. An audio video receiver also makes it easy to integrate a subwoofer later on because of its bass management features. Accessories4less has factory refurbished/factory warrantied Denons that are a very good price for an entry level setup: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavre200/denon-avr-e200-5.1-ch-x-75-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html. For speakers, look at Elac, Ascend Acoustics, Chane, HSU Research, and EMPTek.

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 29
Hi-Fi systems are generally much more expensive as a whole than studio monitors, which usually have an integrated amp, making studio monitors a better solution given your budget. Also, hi-fi systems are designed to be listened to at a distance in a dedicated listening room with good acoustics, while most studio monitors are near-field and will sound good as long as your surroundings don't have terrible acoustics. Considering you are going to be using this in your apartment's living room, not a dedicated listening room, go with the studio monitors. I would recommend the Yamaha HS series, with the HS5 being the cheapest and best value, while the HS8 has bass that extends deep enough that you likely won't need a separate subwoofer.

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 29
Also, hi-fi systems are designed to be listened to at a distance in a dedicated listening room with good acoustics, while most studio monitors are near-field and will sound good as long as your surroundings don't have terrible acoustics.

Myth.

Used to be everyone thought that studio monitors were more neutral than passive speakers with hifi systems, but now that more speakers are measured independently, we know there are many passive speakers that are extremely linear and many studio monitors not as linear as one would think that they should be. As far as near-field vs using in a listening room, I use passive speakers which I KNOW will hold their own with any studio monitors for near-field listening in the same price range as the cost of my speaker/amp setup. And many studio monitors can work very well for dedicated listening rooms and home theater against similarly priced passive speaker setups.

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 29
I never said anything about neutrality of the two types of systems. I'm just saying that since the OP has an entry level budget, there's more value to be had in studio monitors in the OP's price range. You can get a decent studio monitor setup for $400-$500, whereas a decent hi-fi system will run you at least $800, anything less than that involves serious compromises.

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 29
Volume control is another thing also. It is nice when just hanging out and that song comes on that you want to turn it up and to twist just one knob . Instead of two and or waking the computer up and clicking a few times.

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 29
I never said anything about neutrality of the two types of systems.

I know you didn't. If you reread it, you'll see I was talking about the background of the studio monitor vs. passive speaker myths ("used to be").

You can get a decent studio monitor setup for $400-$500, whereas a decent hi-fi system will run you at least $800, anything less than that involves serious compromises.

I'm not convinced that is true either. But it sure has been part of the legend. There are excellent speakers in the $300 range that can compete with many $400 to $500 studio monitors. And then an AVR can be had for <$200.

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 29
  I never said anything about neutrality of the two types of systems. I'm just saying that since the OP has an entry level budget, there's more value to be had in studio monitors in the OP's price range. You can get a decent studio monitor setup for $400-$500, whereas a decent hi-fi system will run you at least $800, anything less than that involves serious compromises.

I strongly agree with the above statement, especially in the budget range that you are in.  I've had a heated debate with CEL4145 on this topic some time ago, but I will not bring up the details here (please PM me if you would like to see the link).  Despite our disagreement, CEL4145 seems like a helpful gentleman with a nice disposition.

The point I want to make is that us headphone forum hacks don't know as much as the manufacturers that base their livelihoods on this subject.  Call or email ATC Loudspeakers or Adam Audio about passive versus active speakers and they will tell you the truth.  They make both versions.

- http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/technology/active-amplification/
- http://www.adam-audio.com/en

My suggestion in the $500 range in case you were interested:

1.  Presonus E5 Monitors or JBL LSR 305 Monitors
2.  Centrance Dacport Slim (on Massdrop) or Dacport HD
3.  Blue Jeans Cable MSA-1 Cable

Good luck.

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 29
The point I want to make is that us headphone forum hacks don't know as much as the manufacturers that base their livelihoods on this subject.  Call or email ATC Loudspeakers or Adam Audio about passive versus active speakers and they will tell you the truth.  

I agree about head-fi not being the best place to find out the answer to this. Come over to AVS, and us speaker fans will give you the lowdown: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/. But I wouldn't call a speaker company. They all have their own agendas that are about making money. If I had a dollar for every time an audio company misled someone in some way, I'd be as rich as Bill Gates :D

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 29
Because ADAM and ATC sell both versions, luckily, they will not be pushing one version over the other to just make a buck.  I find them and others who make both passive and active speakers to be informative.  Focal and PMC also come to mind.

Call, research, and let science be your guide.

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 29
Because ADAM and ATC sell both versions, luckily, they will not be pushing one version over the other to just make a buck.

You cannot know that to be true.

Call, research, and let science be your guide.

My knowledge comes from personal experience in listening and comparing speakers. Others at AVS have personal experience as well. That trumps "because the manufacturer told me." LOL

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 29
I think the direction you go really depends on your audio needs. The OP wants a 2.1 system for his living room, sure he could go with powered speakers, but he will need a way to integrate a sub, and some kind of preamp for volume control and input management. He will also need a DAC for any analog sources. There just so happens to be a device that does all this in one package and benefits from economy of scale, an AV receiver.

Getting one to use with powered speakers requires preouts which adds to the price. Given this budget, I would recommend going with a 2.0 system to start.

Spend $200 on a receiver, as Cel pointed out, get a refurbished unit, Denon and Yamaha are both good choices.

For speakers, you have a lot of good options in the $300 price range. Check out the Chane Arx-1, Elac B6, RBH R5Bi, Ascend CBM-170, and HSU HB-1, and NHT SuperOne 2.1. Later on, add a sub when budget permits.

Yes there are some good powered options, but for your needs, it would be cost prohibitive to make a practical system. Each has its merits, but I think this would be the better path for you. And yes, come on over to AVS forum for some fantastic advice resources.

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #13 of 29
Volume control is another thing also. It is nice when just hanging out and that song comes on that you want to turn it up and to twist just one knob . Instead of two and or waking the computer up and clicking a few times.

That's why people use a preamp output from an audio recording interface (even if they don't record), a DAC, HPamp, or DAC-HPamp.

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #14 of 29
I think the direction you go really depends on your audio needs. The OP wants a 2.1 system for his living room, sure he could go with powered speakers, but he will need a way to integrate a sub, and some kind of preamp for volume control and input management. He will also need a DAC for any analog sources. There just so happens to be a device that does all this in one package and benefits from economy of scale, an AV receiver.

Getting one to use with powered speakers requires preouts which adds to the price. Given this budget, I would recommend going with a 2.0 system to start.

It's his budget really that will be a problem, but it will not need to be an A/V receiver since he won't need the amplifier there. A pro-studio subwoofer has analog line inputs and outputs - fullrange signal from preamp goes in, high-pass filtered signal goes out to the monitors.

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #15 of 29
You cannot know that to be true.
My knowledge comes from personal experience in listening and comparing speakers. Others at AVS have personal experience as well. That trumps "because the manufacturer told me." LOL

We all have personal experience comparing speakers.  I question your personal experience trumping the PHDs and sound engineers at ATC who design for some of the best studios in the world that work with some of the best artists in the world.  

I have been wrong today though ... about the helpful gentleman part.

Back on topic, if the OP has a Guitar Center or a pro-audio shop near by, a comparison of DAC & active speakers vs receiver & passive speaker combo would serve him well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back