Need help narrowing search for headset for Asus XONAR
Apr 1, 2012 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bcschmerker4

That's bcschmerker4® to you!
I am currently starting the process of specifying requirements for a new headset to use with my Asus® CM1630-06 with EAH6850 DirectCU® video and XONAR® Essence STX audio.  My current Corsair® HS-1A headsets have decent sound for a budget headset from 50mm transducers; the cable installation thereon, however, is more fragile than anticipated, as one has already lost its left speaker.  I have determined that the stock strain relief on the HS-1A's cable has failed to do its job.

Since I will be using the HS-1A's replacement for, among other tasks, monitoring the audio of an Internet video stream transmission, I anticipate needing a frequency response, ±0.5dB, of at least 16 Hz - 16 kHz, and a minimum transducer impedance of 64Ω (the XONAR® packs an internal headphone amplifier that can run 600Ω cans with the correct drive settings).  As of 1 April 2012, I plan to allocate a maximum of $350.00 (before taxes and shipping) for the new headset.  An especially solid input cable installation is a necessity; a built-in boom microphone is optional, as I have other microphones available.  The ideal cable length is about 10' (3m) due to routing considerations; the ideal connector is a 1/4" (6.5mm) TRS plug, which the Essence STX can handle sans adapters.

Apr 15, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 4
Bump!  In addition to the above information, I recommend cable for the headset this Thread with no smaller "hot" conductors than 22 AWG stranded, as the HS-1A is found to have 36 AWG conductors in its harness, which probably explains the failure thereof.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #3 of 4
Bump 2!  In the event that I cannot field some recommendations on a ≧110Ω over-the-ear, I have chosen, as a fallback, the Heil Sound® Pro Set™ iC™ (earcups 200Ω; HOT cardioid condenser mic on boom orig. intended for iCOM® communications transceivers).  Be advised, however, that with its 8 kHz treble roll-off (intended to improve clarity on communications equipment whose sound fidelity often leaves much to be desired), this headset is not exactly the best item for monitoring an outbound audio transmission for the Internet.

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back