Need help in deciding on an AMP, DAC and headphones for around £1600
Nov 16, 2012 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Chaimera

New Head-Fier
Hey eveyone, I have posted once before looking to upgrade from my HD598's I plunged into head-fing and purchased a pair of HD650's, a SMSL SD-1995 DAC and a SMSL SAP-100 Amplifier i am now looking for a more high end rig.

I mainly listen to Deadmau5, Linkin Park, Rammstein, System of a Down, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Enter Shikari and Evanesence.

I have been looking around the fourms and i havent really found a thread for around £1600 ($2550) anyway onto the things i have found / thinking of getting

I have been looking at this set-up, what are your oppinions and any changes in recommendation.

Schiit Lyr Hybrid headphone amplifier - $450 + Shipping to the UK
Schiit Bifrost Fully Upgradeable DAC (No USB) - $350 + Shipping to the UK
Audeze LCD-2 Magnetic Planar Headphones - $995 + Shipping to the UK
APureSound V3 - Super Nylon - 6FT - Furutech 1/4in Plug - LCD-2 - $270 + Shipping to the UK

Total = $2065 + Shipping

How is this setup ?
Is there anything better for the money ?

Needs to stay around $2300-$2500 including shipping

Thank you for your feedback in advance !

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 4
Heya,

I would suggest researching into a speaker tap cable or adapter and speaker amps for the orthos.

I went from the Bifrost & Lyr for my othos (HE-500) to a different setup entirely (that was actually much less expensive). For example, I would actually consider instead the Maverick TubeMagic D2 for your DAC and a speaker amp like the Emotiva mini-X A-100 (50 wpc). Sounds better with my orthos than my Bifirost/Lyr for less cost and has way more power. Just a thought.

Very best,

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 4
The Maverick and Emotiva are around half the price.

With that saving would it be worth grabbing some HE-6's or a pair of LCD-3's instead ? or Would it be better to stick with the LCD-2's and get a decent Mobile rig ?

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
The Maverick and Emotiva are around half the price.

With that saving would it be worth grabbing some HE-6's or a pair of LCD-3's instead ? or Would it be better to stick with the LCD-2's and get a decent Mobile rig ?

That's up to you. Depends what kind of sound you're looking for. I would not bother with the LCD3. Is it better? Sure. Is it worth the price hike? Not really, no. The HE-6 is a phenomenal headphone. But it comes down to preference. The LCD2 is darker, and a little bassier perhaps, and so some people like that. The HE-6 is brighter and more flat. Then there's comfort to consider. Neither are the most comfortable headphones in the world and are heavy. I would suggest if you know what you want, stick with it, and if you're saving money, save that money. You'll find ways to spend it later.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back