Need help in choosing a pair of OVER ear headphones(budget is $85) that has good sound(balanced/just enough bass). thanks! :)
Jan 4, 2014 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TheAstray

New Head-Fier
hi guys! :) I am a newbie in headphones and stuff and I need help in buying some over-headphones. I have $85. my plan is to buy a Superlux hd681 evo to be paired with my Fiio e11. any suggestions on what other headphones should I buy? :) thanks

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 17
Hands down, the best pair for you is the NVX XPT100s. They are easily the best over-ear headphones in the sub-$100 category (including ATH-M50s), and they are the most comfortable things you could buy with your budget.

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 17
The closeout prices on the UE 6000, both new and refurb, are probably the best value in your price range.  They have excellent balanced sound with active noise reduction turned off.  They don't need an amp.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 17
  The closeout prices on the UE 6000, both new and refurb, are probably the best value in your price range.  They have excellent balanced sound with active noise reduction turned off.  They don't need an amp.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

Not really into any set that requires batteries...

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 17
Are you looking for something that is more balanced or with more bass/highs/mids? I'm currently running Superlux 681 Evo with Fiio E10 and I couldn't be happier. The bass is definitely powerful enough, possibly borderline basshead. Can't comment on the Fiio E11 but if you're looking for bass the bass boost feature on the E10 is really amazing. Unfortunately I have no other headphones/amps to compare these to though.

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 17

Not really into any set that requires batteries...

They don't require batteries.  They operate in normal mode without them, as pointed out by the review I linked.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 17
Thanks guys! :) btw, some audiophile peeps are suggesting sennheiser hd429,439 and 449 cuz I have and amp. so, who would win, superlux hd681 evo, senn hd429,439 or 449? thanks guys. c: another audiophile person suggested sennheiser hd215-ii. who agrees? :)

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #11 of 17
  Thanks guys! :) btw, some audiophile peeps are suggesting sennheiser hd429,439 and 449 cuz I have and amp. so, who would win, superlux hd681 evo, senn hd429,439 or 449? thanks guys. c: another audiophile person suggested sennheiser hd215-ii. who agrees? :)

I tried the Senns you mentioned at the store where I got the evos. I felt the evos do a better job of isolating noise, with the senns I can easily hear the noise in the mall. If your planning to listen anywhere other than a quiet area I would suggest the evos cause they are tagged as semi-open but to me are close to being closed. Senns are open backed which means it doesn't isolate sound as well. With regard to the actual sound quality I'm not audiophile enough to tell the difference sorry, but with the price difference of the 449 or even the 439 to the 681 evos, I'd take the evo since it's around half the price of the 449 with arguably "better" performance. I've read posts here from people saying the 681s can compete with the sound quality of Senn 558, 598, or even 650 in some cases, all these are higher models than the 4xx series so that leads me to believe the 681 evos would be the better pick. Cheaper, possibly better sounding, and for me better looking than the Senn 4xx series. Plus you get free velour pads which are really great for both comfort and add a bigger sound stage while sacrificing some isolation.

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #12 of 17
Do they have to be closed back?
Sennheiser HD518 might just squeeze into your budget.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #14 of 17
The 681 will destroy all the closed sennheisers in terms of pure sound quality. Another good headphone to consider is the Koss DJ100 for great mids but it has very uncomfortable earpads at least for me. I've heard it sounds much better with an amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back