Need Help - IEMs for Migraine Sufferer
Apr 8, 2012 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

jekostas

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, this one may be a bit of a strange request, but bare with me here and I'll give you some background.

A couple years ago I started to suffer from terrible migraine headaches and in the intervening time one of the things that's helped me deal with them is listening to music.  As such, I'm looking for a good pair of IEMs (supra or circumaurals are out because of the pressure on the side of my head) with some very specific requirements.

1.  Balanced.  No super bright and sparkly, no bass monsters.  They don't specifically have to be mid-centric but that's not completely out, either.  A little bit of treble sparkle wouldn't hurt, though.
2.  No sibilance.  This is a biggy, as this will aggravate the headaches as much as heavy bass will.
3.  Smooth.  Prefer a more laid-back approach rather than an analytical set like the ADDIEMs (my benchmark, as I've tried them and didn't like them).  I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of absolute clarity, but I'd prefer it not to be a muddy mess either.
4.  Extension.  I'm currently using a pair of Shure SE115s and while they hit most of my needs, the roll off high and low is bad enough that it's noticeable for me.  Also, when pushed they can be a sibilant mess.

Things like soundstage, fit and accessories aren't a big deal.  I'll be using these almost exclusively stationary and I can always buy more tips.

Price:  Under $100

I've looked at a number of reviews and am having trouble finding the best for my needs, so if anyone knows of a good set that'll hit my points I'd seriously appreciate it.  I can stretch the budget a little if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 8, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 24
Alright, this one may be a bit of a strange request, but bare with me here and I'll give you some background.

A couple years ago I started to suffer from terrible migraine headaches and in the intervening time one of the things that's helped me deal with them is listening to music.  As such, I'm looking for a good pair of IEMs (supra or circumaurals are out because of the pressure on the side of my head) with some very specific requirements.

1.  Balanced.  No super bright and sparkly, no bass monsters.  They don't specifically have to be mid-centric but that's not completely out, either.  A little bit of treble sparkle wouldn't hurt, though.
2.  No sibilance.  This is a biggy, as this will aggravate the headaches as much as heavy bass will.
3.  Smooth.  Prefer a more laid-back approach rather than an analytical set like the ADDIEMs (my benchmark, as I've tried them and didn't like them).  I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of absolute clarity, but I'd prefer it not to be a muddy mess either.
4.  Extension.  I'm currently using a pair of Shure SE115s and while they hit most of my needs, the roll off high and low is bad enough that it's noticeable for me.  Also, when pushed they can be a sibilant mess.

Things like soundstage, fit and accessories aren't a big deal.  I'll be using these almost exclusively stationary and I can always buy more tips.

Price:  Under $100

I've looked at a number of reviews and am having trouble finding the best for my needs, so if anyone knows of a good set that'll hit my points I'd seriously appreciate it.  I can stretch the budget a little if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

If you could find them. The sony pfr v1.
Otherwise, if you can find them as well, the jvc hp-a1000 clip-on.

Iem-wise, the re-zero will have to suffice. They are balanced and have proper extension on both ends.

Apr 8, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 24
balanced armatures are what you want. PFE, A161(A151) or triplefi

Under 100 dollars... Please read.
The tf-10 are anything but balanced. Favoring a V-shaped signature.
The PFE are as bright as the er4s.

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #6 of 24
maybe something like vsonic gr06? i havn't heard them but from the reviews it seems like what your looking for... i would highly recommend the re262 if you can find some cheap second hand ones, i have found many on this forum kept these while they sold the se535 and w4s, there is just a magical touch with them... with a decent dap the bass is quiet good. i even like them better than my ACS T1s.

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #7 of 24

Quote:
maybe something like vsonic gr06? i havn't heard them but from the reviews it seems like what your looking for... i would highly recommend the re262 if you can find some cheap second hand ones, i have found many on this forum kept these while they sold the se535 and w4s, there is just a magical touch with them... with a decent dap the bass is quiet good. i even like them better than my ACS T1s.

I think it's not that it is better than the SE535 or Westone 4, but dynamic drivers tend to produce a more natural sound. 

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #9 of 24
i never said they were better (especially in the technical aspects) they merely sound special and don't focus on being an analytical iem, which is what the op is looking for...

Quote:
I think it's not that it is better than the SE535 or Westone 4, but dynamic drivers tend to produce a more natural sound. 

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #11 of 24
I'd recommend you get either the Vsonic GR06 or the Meelectronics A151. I lean more towards the A151 because of Meelectronics' excellent customer service, and you won't have to ship your iems to another country for warranty, or wait weeks for them to be delivered.

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #13 of 24
Thanks for the suggestions, all.  I'll start taking a look at the phones listed.

Remember to keep an eye out on the fs forums! Good luck.

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
I'd recommend you get either the Vsonic GR06 or the Meelectronics A151. I lean more towards the A151 because of Meelectronics' excellent customer service, and you won't have to ship your iems to another country for warranty, or wait weeks for them to be delivered.

I'd go with the Vsonics, the 151 isn't even in the same range sound wise.  The 151 is quite good but the Vsonics just out perform them in every aspect.
Plus if the original poster is a U.S buyer  Lend me Ur ears ships from ILLINOIS here in the states.  3 days to my front door here in California.  My M6s took 4 days and I'm two cities away from Mee :)

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
I'd go with the Vsonics, the 151 isn't even in the same range sound wise.  The 151 is quite good but the Vsonics just out perform them in every aspect.
Plus if the original poster is a U.S buyer  Lend me Ur ears ships from ILLINOIS here in the states.  3 days to my front door here in California.  My M6s took 4 days and I'm two cities away from Mee :)

Where would you have to ship them, though, if there's a warranty problem? Likely oversees?  I'm curious about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back