need help finding warm sounding IEM
Jul 14, 2010 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

pkim87

New Head-Fier
I've been looking around this website and some IEM review articles to upgrade from my Cresyn LMX-E630. I'm specifically looking for a well-balanced (w/ highs,mids,lows) IEM with a generally warm sound signature. I'd say my musical preferences are post-rock, mellow jazz, and underground hip-hop (may seem like really different types of music, but I generally like music that is relaxing or very harmonious). My budget would be around the $50-$100 range (somewhat flexible).

So far, I'm leaning towards the SoundMAGIC PL-50 because of the high comfort level and seemingly well-balanced highs,mids, and lows with a supposedly really good mid (Not sure if strong mids go well with my musical preferences).

Anyways, it would be really appreciated if somebody could give some feedback on whether the PL-50 is an appropriate choice or not, and also if there are any other IEM that I might have overlooked that will fit my needs.

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 3
The PL50s are very good if you're looking for balance and smoothness and don't mind giving up a slight bit of airiness compared to similarly-priced dynamic earphones. I wouldn't call them downright warm, but they're slightly off-neutral.

You may also want to take a look at the ViSang R03 (aka Brainwavz M2), which are warm and have a slightly forward midrange. The treble isn't as extended as that of the PL50 but not badly rolled off, either, and the midrange is very warm and pleasant. Another option is the Fisher Audio Eterna, which is quite spacious-sounding and more capable in the lows and highs (compared to the R03) but lacks the midrange emphasis and warm intimacy of the ViSangs. There's plenty of threads on both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back