Need help finding closed headphones under $400 that emphasize vocals
Apr 21, 2018 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sauronmordor756

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm looking for a closed pair of headphones under $400 that emphasize vocals and are good all-around. I usually listen to stuff like Hamilton and other pop music. I've looked at the Oppo PM-3 and it looks like a good fit. Would you recommend this headphone and what other headphones could you recommend?

Thanks

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 11
Not tried it myself, but I've seen complaints of the PM-3 sounding bland. Also be aware that OPPO is shutting down.

I'd suggest MSR7, but it would be best if you could audition the HPs before buying.

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 11
I find the PM-3 a bit on the boring side of the ledger, as mentioned above. You might also consider a Meze 99 Classics. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is possible it could work for you, IMO.

Apr 22, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 11
I also think the PM-3’s to be bland and also recommend the Meze 99 Classics. They take to eq very well also.

Apr 22, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 11
Hi,
I'm looking for a closed pair of headphones under $400 that emphasize vocals and are good all-around. I usually listen to stuff like Hamilton and other pop music. I've looked at the Oppo PM-3 and it looks like a good fit. Would you recommend this headphone and what other headphones could you recommend?
Thanks
I know zero about the Oppo headphones (but do know their location is in Menlo Park, next to Redwood city, in California).
I think my Beyerdynamic T70 headphones, offer the best audio clarity, of my cloaed headphones.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 11
The A900X if you can find one in good condition has very noice vocals and can generally be had quite cheap. You have to go used though most likely which kinda blows.

But my personal choice for vocals in closed on a budget would be the ATH MSR7. It has the weeb tuning which brings vocals, especially female, right up front next to you! Since hearing it I have had it on my buy list but I dont see need for a closed set just yet.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 11
The A900X if you can find one in good condition has very noice vocals and can generally be had quite cheap. You have to go used though most likely which kinda blows.
But my personal choice for vocals in closed on a budget would be the ATH MSR7. It has the weeb tuning which brings vocals, especially female, right up front next to you! Since hearing it I have had it on my buy list but I dont see need for a closed set just yet.

I've alway found my Audio Technica headphones good for vocals, including my ATH-A900X.

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 11
I've alway found my Audio Technica headphones good for vocals, including my ATH-A900X.
Quite honestly if vocals are your biggest point I feel the A and AD line are kings. I prefer the vocals even to other vocal kings like the HD600 and 650. Only headphones that beat the AT AD and A line in vocals for me is pretty much any STAX. Ofc any STAX setup will run way higher than most AT setups

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 11
If vocals are most important i would go pm-3 over Meze 99 Classics. I have both of them and acually a like the Oppos build and comfort even more than the meze and the sound of the pm-3's is much more linear. The Meze instead is on the bassheavy side. The Oppos are also quite EQ friendly.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 11
thx00, m4u1(or m4u8 if you want anc and bluetooth), t50rp, el8c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back