Need help finding a portable player with FLAC support
Nov 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Phileas Fogg

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a new portable player. I want:
 * Durability (I am going to use it at work - Landscaper/tree climber/construction worker)
 * FLAC support
 * Low output impedance (It will be used with BA IEMs)
 * Hardware buttons
 * Compatible with Linux
 * At least 8 GB
 * Small size

Thanks for your help...

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 6
If I may suggest an unorthodox idea?  Buy an old smartphone (preferably Android based, not sure if the iphones have flac support).  Get one that has an microSD card slot so that you can upgrade/add more storage if it's built in memory is insufficient.
You can also find many free music players in the Android app store if the Android smartphone that you buy doesn't have native support for flac.

Here's a sample article that could help: http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/beginner/breathe-new-life-into-that-old-android-phone-by-turning-it-into-an-personal-media-player/

You could find a used smartphone that someone's selling cheap. 
As for durability:  Find a case for it.
Added bonus:  if you get a model with wifi (almost all of them have that) than you can do some casual web browsing when near a hotspot.

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks,
I will look into Sansa Clip +. The price is a very good argument.

A smartphone would not be a good choice for me. It is just too many disadvantages to make it preferable over a single purpose music player.

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 6
I use Sansa clip + and Flac files...no problem....grab yourself an extra memory card and you are all set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back