Need help finding a pair of closed headphones for work
Mar 31, 2010 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Dralan

New Head-Fier
My company has just opened up a new building and my department has moved into it.

One of the big differences with this new building is that it is a mostly open landscape building and there are way too much noise all around. With all the different sound bombarding you it is difficult to concentrate and focus on the work.

So what I need is a good pair of closed headphones that can minimize all of the disturbing noise and just provide me with a nice clean music that I can enjoy while managing to focus on my work. ( closed so that I will not bother my co workers ) It would also help if they were comfortable to wear so that I could use them for hours without getting tired of having them there.

My budget is around 300-350$

My preference in music is a mix between classical, metal and movie soundtracks with loads of different instruments. Anything that can play symphonic tunes well would be preferable.

Thank you for your time and hopefully for your advice.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 16
I'll throw in the Audio Technica M50 and D1001. Both can be had for around $100. At the $200 range the Ultrasone HFI-780 and Pro 750 and possibly a Shure 840. Sennheiser HD25-1 might also be a good option though they are on ear. Not too sure on the $300 dollar range as I'm not quite there yet. You might also can to consider getting IEM's.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 16
Do you know the difference between the K-271MK2 and the K-272 HD Acix ?

Acix : Ive read through your entire thread on the GMP 8.35 D monitor and they also seem very nice based on the info there but I would have been nice to be able to listen to them to compare with the 272s.

But thank you very much for your advice sofar. You have given me 2 new models to think about and they do seem interesting.

NapalmK: Will also try to take a closer look at the Ultrazone Pro 750s but cant seem to find anyone that sells that around where I live either.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 16
Sorry for the double posting. ( mods: please delete the post )

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dralan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know the difference between the K-271MK2 and the K-272 HD Acix ?

Acix : Ive read through your entire thread on the GMP 8.35 D monitor and they also seem very nice based on the info there but I would have been nice to be able to listen to them to compare with the 272s.

But thank you very much for your advice sofar. You have given me 2 new models to think about and they do seem interesting.

NapalmK: Will also try to take a closer look at the Ultrazone Pro 750s but cant seem to find anyone that sells that around where I live either.

I have experience only with the MKll and they are great for classic. About the 8.35 you can try to ask the company if they have distribution in your area.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 16
Firstly, don't get an Ultrasone as they hurt your head after a while and will probably give you a headache. I have no idea why the others are recommending them...

The contenders are:
Shure 840
Beyerdynamic DT250 and DT770
Audio Technica A900

They are all comfy and provide great sound quality. I would personally be tossing up between the Beyerdynamic DT250 and Shure 840. The DT250 is more comfortable and durable with a very nice balanced sound, perfect for every type of music. The Shure 840 has a bit more bass and an overall dark/warm sound. You will be happy with either. (I would get the DT250)

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.R.A.N.C.E. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Firstly, don't get an Ultrasone as they hurt your head after a while and will probably give you a headache. I have no idea why the others are recommending them...

Our experiences must have been completely different then. I never got a headache when I listened to them. What caused your headaches? Comfort or sound?

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #9 of 16
HD 25 I II, and be done with it. Great isolation, rugged construction, comfort, and great sound quality.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 16
Update time:

Thank you for the advice on possible cans to buy. I decided to try out several of the cans and buy atleast one of them but ended up buying two. This place is quite dangerous for my wallet.

I went to one of my local dealers and testet the AKG K-272 HD and was dissapointed by the test. It might be the test cans, or his set up but I did not enjoy the experience at all so I quickly ended up dropping AKG from my plans

Secondly I just decided to order a pair of GMP 8.35 D Monitors from German Maestro. I had just previously read through all the threads about them and what I read seemed to indicate a very good pair of cans. And since they have no resellers in Norway I had to order on blind faith. Ahh, well thats life.. ( Mini review coming later )

While I was waiting for the GMPs I read more and more in other threads around the other models you guys presented me with. I became really interested in finding out more about the Shure 840 that I read so much positive about and after a couple of hours of detective work I managed to find one shop who sold them not too far from where I live and went over there for a test.

I immediatly fell in love with the 840's. They were quite comfortable and sounded amazing with the two cd's I brought with me for testing. So I ended up buying them right then and there. I have not regretted that a single moment. I have not fully burned them in yet but are closing in on the 60 hour mark and I cant stop listening to them.
atsmile.gif

So the Shure 840's are definitivly a very good buy for my music preference atleast. And their sound isolation is extremly good so I will not annoy any of my coworkers with my music atleast.

I will write a real review of my experience with them once I get a bit more time and have finished the burn in period. Though considering my experience sofar it is going to be a nice review for them. I will also compare them to my other new cans, the GMP 8.35 D Monitors .

Yesterday I got the 8.35's in the mail and prepaired myself for another new experience.

First impressions: Those cans can probably withstand anything. The build quality is damn good. The size was also pretty damn good and they fit perfectly. Now to the first negative part. The clamping force is way to strong here. I really hope they loosen up later because with the current clamping force there is no way I can have these cans on for more than an hour at the most.

On to the first listening impressions: The 8.35s are quite cold and emotionless cans with several of my first test songs. But they provide excelent clarity and separation of the instruments. And one area the seem to do very good is Guitar solo's. Listened to a couple of Joe Satriani's songs and these cans worked very well with that. I tried to listen to a few more songs but due to the clamping force I focused more on that than on the music and let them rest for a while.

So the GMP 8.35 D Monitor cans first impressions are very mixed and compaired to the first impressions of the Shure 840's they are on the loosing team here it seems.

I will finish burning in both cans and try to get the 8.35's clamping force reduced before I go insane so that I can do a more thorough review them both side by side.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 16
Glad you like them.

You might be able to loosen up the clamping by placing them over a pillow, box, etc to "stretch" them out.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 16
Dang it. First double post. Sorry.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 16
I will try several different things to try to lessen the clamping force. I will post details if sucessfull.

I will also try to get a listen to the Ultrasone cans you mentioned if I can find a dealer that has them but considering the current dent in my wallet, I will not do another impulse purchase for a little while atleast :p I will have more than enough to do just enjoying my two new pair of cans and writing up a review of them.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #14 of 16
Apr 19, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #15 of 16
I've never had the GMPs, but when I first got my M50s, I had the same complaint; the clamping force was way too tight. Like you, I could only wear them about an hour at a time.

After a couple weeks though, I could wear them a full workday at a time. I hope your experience is similar!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back