Need help deciding on what headphones to purchase.
Aug 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jebril

New Head-Fier
Hey guys this is my first post here, I actually just registered here just to ask this question since it seems this site has a good reputation on knowing what's what when it comes to headphones.

I want to get headphone for around 200 or under if it goes over 200 that would be fine too as long as it wasn't much higher than 200. I currently have Sennheiser HD428's I've had them for about 2 years now and I have to say I love how they're pretty neutral as opposed to most headphones in that 70 dollars price range that have overpowering bass to muddle out the lower sound quality. I want bass obviously but I don't want overpowering bass, I watch movies and play games also with headphones and I mostly listen to Ska, Ska/Punk, Acoustic music so bass isn't the most important thing for me. I do want the headphones to be lightish though, as I like to take them on the go, it's okay if they're not perfect in terms of portability just not headphones that are ridiculously bulky.

From a list of a few headphones I've seen looking around I've found that these interest me: 

Sennheiser HD558:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A

(I'm actually wondering about the plush on these Sennheiser's as well, I don't like how that material looks, it looks like it'll make my ears sweat honestly. :| How is it?)

Audio-Technica ATH-M50:
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U

Shure-SRH840:
 http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH840-Professional-Monitoring-Earphones/dp/B002DP8IEK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339014007&sr=1-1

V-MODA M-80:
http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-On-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B005HSDLCO

I'm interested in seeing what kind of replies I will be getting, thank you for your time everyone. 

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 6
On the 558 - haven't heard them, but I'm assuming they didn't change the pads (much, if any) from the 555 or 595 (which are themselves similar to most every other velour pad they've made since 1990!), and if that's the case - no, it won't make your ears sweat. It's very soft and breathable fabric. Those headphones are also fully open, and provide no isolation - not a good idea for taking on the bus or train or whatever.

The others, I have no experience with. :xf_eek: I have been told the M50 heat up quite a lot though, which isn't surprising given their design. Absolutely no ideas about the other two.

I would suggest you the Ultrasone HFI-2400 though, they're also open (so like the 558, not a good out-and-about can, but I don't like full-size cans for mobile use anyways) - very good ~$200 performers (MSRP is like $330, so they sometimes bounce up to that, just wait them out if needed). I liked them with punk/grunge/metal quite a bit, and they're not bad with acoustic sets either. A bit slow, but that's against steep competition. If you want a fully closed headphone, I don't have many picks in your price range (the HD 280Pro and Q40 are two suggestions though, both are decently under $200). I'd look at IEMs if you're really using them in a mobile setting. :)

Aug 4, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 6
I honestly don't care if they're open and let sound out that much, I'm usually not on buses or traveling much, I take my headphones for walks outside in the woods or something. Rarely travel. Thanks for the input!

Aug 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 6
I honestly don't care if they're open and let sound out that much, I'm usually not on buses or traveling much, I take my headphones for walks outside in the woods or something. Rarely travel. Thanks for the input!

Ah, in that case, the 558 or HFI-2400 are very much worth consideration. Open headphones at a given price tend to outperform closed models - they have less physics to wrestle with (this doesn't mean open > closed, mind you). I think either of those two would be a good choice in that case, with the 2400s you can buy a hard-case for carrying them (Ultrasone sells it as "PRO case" for their pro headphones, but they're all the same size, and will fit the same case - it's like $30), I'm not sure if something exists like that for the 558 (or that can be made to fit them), fwiw.

Based on the 5x5 cans, the Sennheisers will be closer to flat/neutral and have a relatively clean/airy presentation, while the HFI-2400 will be darker and bassier, and offer a bit smaller overall soundstage. I'd pick the 2400s for movies, games, etc over a lot of other headphones (because of the increased bass impact, and S-LOGIC), but for music I think it'd be a toss-up that comes down to your preferences.

Aug 5, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 6
+1 Shure 840 and V-MODA M80

Others to consider:

Ultrasones ... 

Phillips Uptown

KRK KNS 8400

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 6
The Sennheiser HD 558 is actually the successor to the HD 555. I have the HD 598 and the plush is actually much more comfortable than  leather. I would say that you would less likely have issues with sweat here as the material is breathable. Have you looked at the Audio Technica ATH-M50. I don't own this  model but they have some stellar reviews around the web. They can be had around $150. Otherwise there is the option of going with the HD 558 for about $25 more; these too have some really nice reviews. Good luck. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back