Need help deciding on an IEM
Nov 1, 2012 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

theque

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and mobile audio gear in general. I am very familiar with audio equipment as my in home surround sound system consists of (Well did before my recent divorce heh) a combination of Denon Receiver, Marantz Amp, Klipsch Speakers and HSU Research Sub. Though I would not by any means consider myself an audiophile, I do like quality sound reproduction.

With that said, I am on the road about 180-200 days a year with a lot of 6 hour plus plane rides. Recently the dull background engine noise has started giving me headaches after 4-5 hours on the plane and I decided I needed to invest in noise cancellation headsets. Now, as far as actual noise cancellation technology, I believe it is universally believed Bose has the best technology; but I think the audio quality sucks for something that costs $300-$350.

After reading many reviews and opinions it has become clear that passive noise isolation, what many IEM’s provide, is superior to active noise cancellation. This brings me to my IEM search. My priorities in order are as follows:

1.[size=7pt]      [/size]Sound Isolation (This is the reason I started this search)
2.[size=7pt]      [/size]Comfort (Flights from West Coast to east are 5-6 hours, to Europe 11-13 hours, China 15+ hours)
3.[size=7pt]      [/size]Sound quality (If I am paying multi hundred dollar price tags, I want quality sound)
4.[size=7pt]      [/size]Build quality (I don’t want these to break in a month of use.)

Given the above criteria, it looks as if the Shure SE535’s are the way to go. Even better I have found a set of SE535 Limited Edition for $485 from Accessoryjack.com. However I am interested in the opinions of the users of high end IEM’s before shelling out such a large sum of money.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Nov 3, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 3
well you havent specified any sound style preferences so that makes it hard to narrow it.  But...........

high isolation and comfort with a hefty budget makes me think shure or westone.  which one is going to come down to what sound you prefer, the se535, se425, um3x, W3 or W4 are all top stuff and should fit your criteria.  given the stuff you list you had , denon receiver, klipsch speakers etc makes me think you probably would be best going for the W3 with its V shaped sound.  i tihnk the 535 may be a bit mid centric for youcompared with what you have had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back