Need help deciding on amp.
Oct 27, 2009 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

fenixdown110

Headphoneus Supremus
Oct 27, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 24
It may not be very useful, but I wanted to mention one thing. Almost with out exception, if you want desktop equipment, get desktop equipment, portable gear almost never is on par sound-quality wise.

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 24
Oh, I am very aware of that.
smily_headphones1.gif
I just need amp to use atm. I will save up and get a much more decent amp later.

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 24
From what I can tell, the Zero DAC seems to be the better deal in terms of higher quality components, while the aune seems to be the best deal in terms of pure shininess
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 24
Yeah, it looks that way.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's also open for modification later.
wink_face.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #6 of 24
Can anyone else give me more input?

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 24
I was considering Zero Dac last time but I read some terrible QC issue on the 09' version, and lots of units suffered sudden death. Not sure this has been addressed.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 24
Yeah, that's the thing I'm worried about. I'm hoping more owners of the Zero can confirm whether or not it's alright.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 24
The zero has/had problematic qc issues, and while the dac is nice i don't think the headphone amp is good in it at all.
The aune may have minor(meaning very easy to fix) qc issues, both the dac/amp of it is good for the price. However, it really needs a better power supply, that's the weakest point in it imo.
Both of these units can be "diy"ed , through-hole components are easy to work with, and you can change opamps to make it suit your tastes. The aune has more quality components (capacitors, volume pot etc).
The headroom feels too commercial for my tastes... also it has batteries, usb charging etc... it's not a desktop design.
But ultimately, choose what you like.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 24
I just want something reliable, but I guess it's hard to ask for that for paying so little. I also want to stay away from the commercialized Bithead. I just hope I don't run into one that instant deaths on me.

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #11 of 24
If you saved and stretched your budget $50, you could get the E-MU 0404 USB....

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking to buy a budget but decent DAC amp. My options have been narrowed down to 3 choices. The Aune Hifidiy.net MKII, 09 version Zero DAC amp, and the Headroom Total Bithead.

I'm leaning more toward the Aune or Zero though. Please advise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want something reliable, but I guess it's hard to ask for that for paying so little. {{{{I also want to stay away from the commercialized Bithead}}}}. I just hope I don't run into one that instant deaths on me.

I am not sure what you mean by "I also want to stay away from commercialized Bithead"

I have had my total bithead for a few years it is one of the newer redesigned models, with an adjustable gain switch. Good build quality, great sound, low noise floor, even with my Sure 530. Now with my Senn HD 650 it plays loud enough but lacks the power to really control them with authority but I didn't expect it to. It does sound quite good with the Sure IEM and also my Senn PX 100 . The dac sound a bit better than the one in my I pod. My opinion and good luck!!

Don't buy from Ebay it said you only get 7 days to return. Direct from Headroom you get 30 days!
http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/he...l-bithead-1040
HeadRoom Total BitHead Review — The Gadgeteer
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/pre...ithead-169912/

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 24
I'd go for the Aune.
From what I've read the amp is based on the Graham Slee Solo and some posts (of enthusiastic buyers) claim that the Aune beats the Solo.
I don't think so, but I believe it will be pretty good.
And it looks good
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #15 of 24
Go have a look in Musiland I think they have something that fits your budget.

I didn't hear any QC issue yet - another China brand so risk taking is there, but I saw a lot of good comment here. Especially on Monitor 02 US.

They have budget 02 US, then D10, and a mid-range market (cant remember).

Any owners can help recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back