Need help deciding on a TOTL headphone $1000-$2000.
Feb 23, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #16 of 24
It’s ok!!!

OP was on today! He may have been waiting for this for the last 7 years!

@LepakVT get the auteur classics!

Lol :)
I thought it was weird for someone to ask for a TOTL headphone for “only” $1000-$2000…how times have changed!

Feb 24, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #18 of 24
Would you consider buying used? If you're patient, you might find a used but in great condition Focal Utopia for a notch under $2000.

While I don't have the Utopia, I do have, and love, the Focal Clear, but my budget at the time was $1000 and that's the exact amount I paid for them. Great mids and slam.

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #19 of 24
Would you consider buying used? If you're patient, you might find a used but in great condition Focal Utopia for a notch under $2000.

While I don't have the Utopia, I do have, and love, the Focal Clear, but my budget at the time was $1000 and that's the exact amount I paid for them. Great mids and slam.
im thinking of jumping off and getting a pair of utopia's. Thoughts?
I have q701 and th900 mk2 now love them but want something different.

Mar 26, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #21 of 24
im thinking of jumping off and getting a pair of utopia's. Thoughts?
I have q701 and th900 mk2 now love them but want something different.
I own the Denon D7000 which has similar characteristics to Th900 which is engaging, musical and fun and I would say they complementary characteristics of Utopia which is more toward reference but sharp and clear (a bit cold) quite well.

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #22 of 24
I own the Denon D7000 which has similar characteristics to Th900 which is engaging, musical and fun and I would say they complementary characteristics of Utopia which is more toward reference but sharp and clear (a bit cold) quite well.
I have a pretty similar pairing. Clear and EMU Ebony (kind of falls in line with that Denon/Fostex series). The EMU is very warm and bassy, a nice alternative, but not as resolving as the Clear. The Clear does just about everything better and if I didn't sometimes need the added isolation from EMU I would probably never use it, though it is a fun change of pace every once and a while and some music sounds very nice with it.

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #23 of 24
I thought it was weird for someone to ask for a TOTL headphone for “only” $1000-$2000…how times have changed!
… it could be weirder … asking for a TOTL fuse for ‘only’ $1000-$2000 … 🤪💸

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #24 of 24
I have a pretty similar pairing. Clear and EMU Ebony (kind of falls in line with that Denon/Fostex series). The EMU is very warm and bassy, a nice alternative, but not as resolving as the Clear. The Clear does just about everything better and if I didn't sometimes need the added isolation from EMU I would probably never use it, though it is a fun change of pace every once and a while and some music sounds very nice with it.
Yeah Emu looks really good and looks exactly like Denon D series with the headband! I heard Clear has like what 90% of Utopia OG has, so good to know we have complimentary headphones for different flavour.

I love the sound of the Denon D7000 and would never sell it, it had also been modified by the previous owner with Lawton mod, so the bass is not as bloated as before. The D7000 is my main headphone when I am on a train journey. And Utopia stays at home mainly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back