Need Help Deciding Between Sennheiser HD25-1 II and Amperior
Nov 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

paulcruz74

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi Community! This is my first post, and I'm quite excited to start getting into higher quality audio equipment. Recently I borrowed the HD25-1 II from my friend, and I loved their sound. After doing some additional research, I was pretty sure these were the headphones that I wanted to purchase, but after reading Tyll Herstens' review on the amperior, I learned that the amperiors generally have tighter and more punchy bass, as well as less sibilant highs, which was also confirmed by multiple comparisons on head-fi and on reddit. I simply wanted to know what are you experiences with both headphones? Should I get the amperiors? It might also be helpful to note that the amperiors are basically being sold at the same price as the HD25-1 II's now on amazon, which is where I plan on buying them from. Are there any downsides to purchasing the amperior? Because I can't seem to find any.

Thank you in advance for your help, any input would be much appreciated! 

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 2
  Hello Head-fi Community! This is my first post, and I'm quite excited to start getting into higher quality audio equipment. Recently I borrowed the HD25-1 II from my friend, and I loved their sound. After doing some additional research, I was pretty sure these were the headphones that I wanted to purchase, but after reading Tyll Herstens' review on the amperior, I learned that the amperiors generally have tighter and more punchy bass, as well as less sibilant highs, which was also confirmed by multiple comparisons on head-fi and on reddit. I simply wanted to know what are you experiences with both headphones? Should I get the amperiors? It might also be helpful to note that the amperiors are basically being sold at the same price as the HD25-1 II's now on amazon, which is where I plan on buying them from. Are there any downsides to purchasing the amperior? Because I can't seem to find any.

Thank you in advance for your help, any input would be much appreciated!

1. The Amperiors come with no case.  Granted the HD25-1 II case is a simple nylon bag, but still - there's nothing with the Amperior.
2. The Amperior was made with drivers that result in 18 ohm impedance.  That limits their applicability as much as a high-impedance headphone does - maybe more so.  Unless you find an amp that has next to zero output impedance, the Amperiors will not perform up to expectations.
3. The cables are crap, unless the only reason you are purchasing them is to connect them into a smartphone.  Yeah, they have the smartphone remote, but it's junk as a desktop cable.  As they come, they're almost useless as a desktop headphone.

IMHO, the original HD25-1 II's are more versatile and can perform well under a variety of conditions - solid-state, tubes, and with portables.  The HD-25 Aluminum provides all of this - a more versatile impedance at 70 ohms, HD25-1 II's cable, and a carrying case.  The only thing it may not have is the velour cushions add-on, but those can be purchased in many places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back