Need Help Choosing IEM Replacement ($150-$250)
Mar 5, 2008 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

X-Factor

New Head-Fier
I'm new to Head-Fi, and I've been researching IEM threads for a few days now and finally decided to post and ask everyone for their invaluable suggestions. =)

I owned a pair of Shure E3G's for 2 years until the cord broke. Shure replaced them free of charge with the new "pro" model SCL3 equivalent, and I used those for about 6 months until they mysteriously "froze" while snowboarding. These were then replaced by Shure again free of charge, no questions asked, where they were recently stolen from me while on vacation. I mention this for two reasons, one, to let everyone know that Shure has amazing customer service, and two, that I am somewhat influenced by this in my consideration for my replacement IEM's.

Having said that, I am debating upgrading from my previous SCL3's, since who wants to have something stolen from them only to pay more money to replace the same product they had initially?! My initial instinct was to look into the new consumer models of the Shure lineup, the SE420 in particular. These IEM's are really pushing my budget envelope though. I would only buy these over the less expensive alternatives (listed below) if they offered a significant added value to me in the areas of comfort, durability and sound quality. The SE530's are definitely not an option.

I really loved the sound of my SCL3's, but always wanted just a touch more bass from them. Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means a bass head, and I love the tight but unexaggerated bass of the SCL3's, but sometimes when listening to techno or hip-hop, I felt that there was a little more to be desired. After reading many reviews on the Shure SE420's, it seemed to me that they would offer me that little extra bass that I was looking for, with similar mids and highs as the SCL3's. Can anyone attest to this?

Build quality, durability and warranty are also very important to me as I am obviously very hard on my IEM's as previously mentioned. =)

Once I started to dig into the vast wealth of information that is Head-Fi, I started to notice a few other options in the same (or lower) price range than the SE420's, namely:

- UE Super.Fi 5 Pro
- FS Atrio M5
- Denon AH-C700
- Etymotic ER6i
- Westone UM2

I have no experience whatsoever with anything other than the Shure offerings, so your opinions on each are greatly appreciated!

The issues that I am worried about with the UE super fi's are their durability and comfort, as many people have mentioned having issues with the cases cracking as well as them not being as comfortable as they would have liked. Owners of both Shure's and UE's, what do you think? On a side note, I found with the Shure's that I can only use the foam inserts as none of the other options will fit snugly in my left ear canal. This is another reason I'm eying the Shure's because of the olive foam pads.

My Setup:
- iPod Touch
- ampless
- listen to mainly indie pop/rock, hard rock, alternative, techno, hip-rop and some rap

Desires (order of importance):
- Excellent mids and highs, with decent bass but not too overpowering
- $150-250
- Durable
- Comfortable
- Portable

Additional Questions:
- Do the SE420's show a noticeable improvement in bass response over the SE310's (or over my old SCL3's would help me even more)?
- SE420's vs. Super.fi 5 Pro's: worth the extra money?

Wow, that went a little longer than I wanted. Thanks so much for everyone's help, especially if you read through all that! Look forward to hear what everyone has to say. =)

Mar 5, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by X-Factor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

- $150-250
- Durable
- Comfortable
- Portable

Give Livewires a consideration, as they meet your requirements. They look pretty cool too. Livewires

Mar 5, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #3 of 16
I used the E3c (which is the same thing as the E3g) for a couple of years and upgraded to the SF5 Pro when the nozzle broke. Shure replaced it for me but I felt that it was time for an upgrade anyway.

The SF5 Pro improves on the aspects of the E3c sound signature that I didn't like. The E3c seemed to have very little bass and terribly rolled off treble. The SF5 Pro has strong bass (but not overpowering or muddy at all) and improved treble. The dual armatures really have nice bass and treble at the same time, although the treble is not as detailed as some other IEMs, such as the ER4. However, since you seem to like Shure, I don't really think that rolled off treble is a problem for you, and the SF5 Pro has much better treble than the E3c.

When I broke my SF5 Pro (by stepping on them and pulling the cord at the same time.. long story..) and sent them in for warranty, I was pretty upset going back to the E3c. It didn't compare at all. Also, UE customer service is great. They replaced my SF5 Pro with a brand new pair.

Also, the SF5 Pro have removable cables, which is a major plus. If you mess up your cable, all you do is buy a new one. You can upgrade the cable to the ES2 one as well.

The SF5 Pro are not as comfortable as my Shures were, but I did end up liking the memory wire. At first, the fit took a little getting used to, but after a week or so I actually preferred the memory wire. The nozzle/post is thicker than other IEMs so if you have tiny ear canals you may have a tougher time getting a good seal. I used the smallest black rubbery tips with my Shures, and I use the smallest black silicon tips on my UEs. The SF5 Pro in general are larger than other IEMs as well, which is an issue for some people. I don't think that it's really a big deal. The profile improves a lot with the F/S mod. Size is secondary to me and the sound of the SF5 Pro destroys all the other IEMs that I have tried in that price range.

Mar 5, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by X-Factor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm new to Head-Fi, and I've been researching IEM threads for a few days now and finally decided to post and ask everyone for their invaluable suggestions. =)

Build quality, durability and warranty are also very important to me as I am obviously very hard on my IEM's as previously mentioned. =)

Once I started to dig into the vast wealth of information that is Head-Fi, I started to notice a few other options in the same (or lower) price range than the SE420's, namely:

- UE Super.Fi 5 Pro
- FS Atrio M5
- Denon AH-C700
- Etymotic ER6i
- Westone UM2

I have no experience whatsoever with anything other than the Shure offerings, so your opinions on each are greatly appreciated!

The issues that I am worried about with the UE super fi's are their durability and comfort, as many people have mentioned having issues with the cases cracking as well as them not being as comfortable as they would have liked. Owners of both Shure's and UE's, what do you think? On a side note, I found with the Shure's that I can only use the foam inserts as none of the other options will fit snugly in my left ear canal. This is another reason I'm eying the Shure's because of the olive foam pads.

My Setup:
- iPod Touch
- ampless
- listen to mainly indie pop/rock, hard rock, alternative, techno, hip-rop and some rap

- $150-250
- Durable
- Comfortable
- Portable

Additional Questions:
- Do the SE420's show a noticeable improvement in bass response over the SE310's (or over my old SCL3's would help me even more)?
- SE420's vs. Super.fi 5 Pro's: worth the extra money?

Wow, that went a little longer than I wanted. Thanks so much for everyone's help, especially if you read through all that! Look forward to hear what everyone has to say. =)

I would get a pair of the Westone UM2's - they are extremely comfortable and they have an excellent soundstage for the money. They were my replacements of choice when my Shure's finally gave aout and I have NEVER been uncomfortable wearing them for as long as 5 hours+. As far as durability mine are over a year old and they look as new as the day I got them.

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #5 of 16
Great suggestions guys! Today I saw a post here that the UE Triple.fi 10's were on sale for $269 on ECost, so I'm seriously contemplating those now, even though they are slightly out of my price range. How do these compare to the SE420's? I'm really having trouble weighing all the variables and spending my hard earned cash! =)

Mar 6, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 16
In my opinion, I think that you should get a balanced phone, like an ER-6i or ER-4P, and get an amp. Optimally I'm thinking: Get an ER-4(S) (because they benefit from an amp) and get an amp that has a bass boost switch, so that way when you need your extra bass response, it's just there by a flip of the switch. I actually think that after I upgrade to the ER-4Ps from my ER-6i's, I'll never buy another IEM at least for a couple years, because the ER-6i already sounds fantastic.

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 16
I'm trying to stay away from buying a portable amp, simply because I don't like to carry around a lot of equipment with me. How are the ER-4's without an amp?

I've narrowed my options down to the UE triple.fi 10 Pro's and the Shure SE420's. They are both around the same price, so I'm wondering which of these two earphones you guys would choose and why? Thanks again for all your excellent suggestions!

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 16
My Future Sonics Atrio M5s destroy my Shure E3Cs ... they're at the low end of your stated price range, but coming from the Shures you wouldn't feel like you were economizing. They're very pleasing ... and you would have money left over for music, or food, or whatever.

I was intrigued by the UM2s -- if you're in a spending mood, they seem to have a lot going for them. Lots of good suggestions so far, actually. But even unamped straight out of an iPod (not know for its bassiness or EQ'ability), the M5s are very musical ... very nice with various forms of electronica.

Edit: I posted before I read your "finalists." Can't comment on those.

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #10 of 16
The UM2's are probably the most comfortable, but may also be a little bit too bassy. I'd say based on what you said the Super.fi 5's sound kinda like your flavor. Comfy, cheaper, durable (replaceable cables), and well balanced tonally due to the dual driver dual bore design. The 420's are definitely bassier but might even be some of the bassiest earphones on the market. The bass quality is a bit on the boomy side, not as tight or controlled as on the 530, which you said wasn't an option, or the UM2.

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for the suggestion on the UM2's. I am now researching more into them and they sound like another excellent option. The only problem is that they are getting outside my price range. The cheapest I can find them at is $300. The reason I was contemplating the Triple.fi's was eCost's awesome deal at $270. It seems that my current options (SE420, Triple.Fi, UM2) all have excellent sound quality overall, so comfort is going to be a major deciding factor. I have heard many issues with UE's comfort, and I have an unusual left ear canal that limits me from using any tip other than foam. Also, I like to sleep with my earbuds in, so a bud that is relatively comfortable lying down on a pillow is a plus for me. How is the profile on these three buds?

Mar 11, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #13 of 16
Comfort wise the UM2's will beat pretty much anything else out there. If you have bigger ears the UE's will be pretty comfy too. No experience with the SE420's but if they're anything like my SE530's then they pretty much disappear in your ears. The UE's you wouldn't be able to sleep in at all...The UM2's and 420's would probably work with this. The side profile of the UM2's is the smallest out of the three.

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 16
Well, I pulled the trigger after much internal debating and purchased the Westone UM2's. I'm really looking forward to trying them out! Thanks to everyone here who took the time to give me their suggestions. Much appreciated. I guess I can now say that head-fi has been responsible for relieving me of some hard earned cash. I hope it's worth it. I'm a little worried about how much more I'm going to spend in the future. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back