Need help choosing headphones
Jul 18, 2011 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

stv014

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi! Sorry for creating a new thread for this, but in the "Buying headphones" thread I got no response. I am looking for some advice on buying one of these headphones, or a similarly priced one if someone recommends it and I can find one for purchase:
  - Sennheiser HD428
  - AKG K99
  - Panasonic RP-HTF890
  - Sennheiser HD438
  - Sennheiser HD215
  - Audio Technica ATH-M30
The list is sorted in increasing order by price. How do these compare in terms of sound quality, comfort, and production quality/durability ? I would prefer one that is not optimized too much for a particular style of music, but has overall better quality and wider/more even frequency response, without having to use an amplifier or equalization.

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #2 of 16
Well, for now I will probably not buy any of these due to the lack of sufficient information to decide. I was thinking about buying the HD215, but its sound quality is apparently rated as "OK, but not particularly good" by many people who have reviewed it. The HD428/448 are reputed to have clean mid to high frequency sound, but lacking bass (according to http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/sennheiser-hd-448.php, both start cutting off from around 100 Hz), so I avoid those, too. I could not find enough usable information about the others to be convinced that they are worth buying; I found virtually nothing about the Panasonic one.

Jul 19, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 16
I would stay away from HD 515, all 500 series I have owned except one (see below) had serious bass clipping (rumble) issues even at a moderate volume level. The only way to correct this was to use a good quality headphone amp but there goes your value. On top of that models from that series are not particularly sturdy, they break easily and are often a PITA to fix. IMHO

One notable exception is the HD 595 which sounds great even without a dedicated amp, but they cost twice as much as most of the models you're considering.  

Regarding the 400 series, I have yet to be disappointed by any model I have owned, considering the value, and I have owned a dozen models over the years. In any case, I would choose the HD 448 over the HD 515 anytime. Heck it even looks better. 

As to the 200 series those are designed for recording/broadcasting/DJ'ing rather than home audio. I find them uncomfortable to wear for more than 30 minutes at once and that's not long enough for me to tell if they sound good or not. My impression is that they sound "flat", which they are supposed to I imagine.

Jul 19, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 16
SHR-240
MDR-V6

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 16
Heya,

What's your maximum budget, and what sort of music are you listening to mostly? Ie, do you need huge bass, or are you more into a neutral sound, or do you want light bass (sounds like you want more bass than neutral, making you more of a basshead). Need info.

Very best,

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
I would stay away from HD 515, all 500 series I have owned except one (see below) had serious bass clipping (rumble) issues even at a moderate volume level. The only way to correct this was to use a good quality headphone amp but there goes your value. On top of that models from that series are not particularly sturdy, they break easily and are often a PITA to fix. IMHO

One notable exception is the HD 595 which sounds great even without a dedicated amp, but they cost twice as much as most of the models you're considering.  

Regarding the 400 series, I have yet to be disappointed by any model I have owned, considering the value, and I have owned a dozen models over the years. In any case, I would choose the HD 448 over the HD 515 anytime. Heck it even looks better. 

As to the 200 series those are designed for recording/broadcasting/DJ'ing rather than home audio. I find them uncomfortable to wear for more than 30 minutes at once and that's not long enough for me to tell if they sound good or not. My impression is that they sound "flat", which they are supposed to I imagine.

OK, from what I have read about the HD515 elsewhere - similar issues as you have mentioned, I was already deciding against it, but thanks for the information.

I have generally read good things about the HD448, except for some lack of bass. Is the frequency response graph on www.headphone.com correct ? By the way, SRH-240 is shown to have a similar lack of bass there, although it otherwise may be good and is cheaper than the others mentioned so far as well.

From the HD2xx series, do you have experience specifically with the 215 ? It is said to be fairly comfortable, but there are mixed reviews (ranging from very good to mediocre) on its sound quality.

@BotByte: The Sony MDR-V6 looks good, but unfortunately new ones do not seem to be sold in my country.

Of the others listed above, did anyone try the Panasonic RP-HTF890 ? I have seen very little information about it, and no usable review.

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:

What's your maximum budget, and what sort of music are you listening to mostly? Ie, do you need huge bass, or are you more into a neutral sound, or do you want light bass (sounds like you want more bass than neutral, making you more of a basshead). Need info.

The headphones I have listed above are available in the ~80-90USD range (converted). However, in my country, some models are quite a bit more expensive due to customs, taxes, etc.

I do not need a huge bass, or a sound that is optimized for a particular style of music, so it is perhaps better to just have a more neutral/wider/accurate frequency response. When I mentioned some headphones possibly "lacking bass" above, I was referring to them removing/attenuating bass under 100 Hz, at least according to HeadRoom measurements; of course, I do not know if those are correct.

Jul 21, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 16
Another possible choice I found: Philips SHP8900. Is this a good one ?
The HD 448 costs about 16% more, but if it sounds better than the others mentioned so far, I may consider buying it.

Here is a summary of the various models from this thread, and the prices (converted to approximate USD values) I could buy them for:
- Shure SRH240 - $74
- Sennheiser HD 428 - $81
- Philips SHP8900 - $83
- AKG K99 - $85
- Sennheiser HD 438 - $93
- Panasonic RP-HTF890 - $94
- Sennheiser HD 215 - $95
- Audio Technica ATH-M30 $95
- Sennheiser HD 448 - $96

By the way, I had Technics RP-HT700 (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/477421/technics-rp-ht700-any-good-phones) before, and I thought those sounded decent for the price, although they did not have particularly good build quality and have been worn to a not too usable state since then. Not sure if this is of any help for giving suggestions, since I suspect no one here has used both these and and the ones listed above to make any comparison.

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #10 of 16
Well, I had a chance to try 3 of these in a store: the HD 428, 438, and 515. Unfortunately, the 428 was with a different music and very loud (distorted) volume, so I could not really find out much about that one, however it would probably not have been my preferred choice anyway. Of the 438 and 515, I found the 438 to have a better and cleaner sound that I did like, although the headphone is maybe a bit small. The 448 is a higher model in theory, and I can get it for only slightly higher price (see above); does it have any advantages ?

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #11 of 16
In layman's terms...

the music that comes off the HD448 is lighter than the HD438.
In fact, the HD428 and HD448 are mislabelled as having enhanced bass,
they're not really for people who want bass headphones.

Cheap bass headphones include the Sony XB series, loud, sometimes overpowering
bass. I have the Senns HD438. It looks a little ridiculous when an adult wears them, but
for people 15+ - early 20s, they don't look as outrageous as wearing skullcandies or off-beat
Sony headphones.

The HD438 definitely has more bass than the HD448 and HD428. Pricing is about the same,
in USD. They're comfortable for prolonged usage but depending on where you're at, they might be
too hot to use. I live in Southeast Asia, which is a tropical region, and they are not suited for outdoor use.

I actually wrote a short review on the HD438s on this website (use the search button, click product, click review)

I actually considered the Shure 240, since it was within my budget but I never got around to try it. The shiny
plastic look was too cheap, and I was looking for headphones with a single sided cable. Also, I'm an Adidas fan,
which was part of the reason why I gravitated towards German brands.

Grado

The Grado SR-60i (new) go for about the same price as a HD438. They sound livelier, imo, but the Grados
aren't renowned for having good bass. They're supposedly better for rock music. I tried the SR-80i recently
at a store and I loved the music, the design, everything was perfect, except for the price tag xD SGD170..

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:

The headphones I have listed above are available in the ~80-90USD range (converted). However, in my country, some models are quite a bit more expensive due to customs, taxes, etc.

I do not need a huge bass, or a sound that is optimized for a particular style of music, so it is perhaps better to just have a more neutral/wider/accurate frequency response. When I mentioned some headphones possibly "lacking bass" above, I was referring to them removing/attenuating bass under 100 Hz, at least according to HeadRoom measurements; of course, I do not know if those are correct.

Heya,

Look up the Shure 840's (or 440's if the price difference where you are is crazy). At the $80~90 range, the $120~130 range opens up much better options. It's such a small difference in cost for a tier jump in terms of quality headphones. I suggest if that's a problem, saving a bit more to make this purchase really worth while. Also see Sony ZX700's. Also see AudioTechnica A700's. Also see Ultrasone Pro 550's. Overall though I suggest the Shure 840's as a starting point.

Very best,

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 16
I liked the 448 as a relatively cheap all-around. They are not bass heavy, but the bass is quite deep (though not punchy at all), and the cable is a bit thicker than the 428, which gives a better feeling - I always had the impression I was going to damage the cable of the 428.

There's also a review of the KRK 6400 (99 USD) with comparisons to other headphones, including the Shure 840 (I haven't heard them but I'm planning to get them... as soon as I decide which headphone will be my next purchase 
biggrin.gif
): http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/560605/krk-kns-6400-review-impressive-99-giant-killer

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
Heya,

Look up the Shure 840's (or 440's if the price difference where you are is crazy). At the $80~90 range, the $120~130 range opens up much better options. It's such a small difference in cost for a tier jump in terms of quality headphones. I suggest if that's a problem, saving a bit more to make this purchase really worth while. Also see Sony ZX700's. Also see AudioTechnica A700's. Also see Ultrasone Pro 550's. Overall though I suggest the Shure 840's as a starting point.

Very best,

I found these prices:

MDR-ZX700 - $148 + ~$10 shipping

SRH-440 - $133 + $4 shipping
SRH-840 - $261 + $4 shipping

ATH-AD700 - $206 + ~$10 shipping
ATH-M50 - $222
ATH-A700 - $253 + ~$10 shipping

Grado, Ultrasone - these do not seem to be available

I may consider the SRH-440 or maybe the ZX700 if they are a big improvement over all the cheaper models, but the others do seem to be too expensive. Unfortunately the overpricing factor apparently increases with the more expensive headphones that are imported and sold in smaller numbers.

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
I liked the 448 as a relatively cheap all-around. They are not bass heavy, but the bass is quite deep (though not punchy at all), and the cable is a bit thicker than the 428, which gives a better feeling - I always had the impression I was going to damage the cable of the 428.

There's also a review of the KRK 6400 (99 USD) with comparisons to other headphones, including the Shure 840 (I haven't heard them but I'm planning to get them... as soon as I decide which headphone will be my next purchase 
biggrin.gif
): http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/560605/krk-kns-6400-review-impressive-99-giant-killer

Unfortunately, KRK headphones do not seem to be sold where I live. I hesitate between the HD 438/448, or if there is anything that is only slightly more expensive but clearly better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back