Need help choosing a new in-ear in the 1k-1.5k range
Dec 12, 2021 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Aaronf8

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I am looking for a little support in choosing new in-ear headphones/IEM. I can list my collection below but I'm not sure it is going to be too helpful since what I'm looking for may not really match. I am a former live engineer and I still travel a lot for my new job so I'm looking for an IEM for isolation purposes(flying). I don't work in the audio world at all anymore and since leaving I don't really listen to headphones in... "reference mode" anymore. I am looking for a headphone to really just enjoy the music. I'm looking for a bit of warmth in the headphone, not the flattest on the market. I am currently wearing a pair of CA Holocene's and really enjoying them but I would love a little more separation and a wide stage. Below is what I have and my comments in reference to what I'm currently looking for! Please let me know if you have any questions. I know this is a little rambly and specific!

-up to 1500 USD ( used is great!)
-Plus if it is on Amazon Prime as I have a lot of points!
-IEM
-Mostly Classic and Pop, little jazz and Broadway
-IFI Diablo and Astell & Kern SR25

-LCD-2 (My favorite "listening" headphones! I really enjoy these all the time but obviously I need to be somewhere specific for them)
-Ether 2( As much as I love these they are not what I'm looking for for this purpose, great reference but very flat.)
-Euclid( Similar to Ether 2, I actually find them wonderfully flat which I'm not sure everyone does)
-Westone W60 ( This is certainly one of my primary headphones, I am moving away from them as they were really a work IEM for me)
-ATH-LS70iS ( Another work headphone, I enjoy them but they arent what I'm looking for here. too flat)

Thanks so much for any recommendations!

Dec 12, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 15
Try looking at Thieaudio Monarch Mk2 Link
Superb reviews all around.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 15
Monarch, or MEST Mk2.

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #4 of 15
Monarch, or MEST Mk2.
Try looking at Thieaudio Monarch Mk2 Link
Superb reviews all around.

Both of them are supposedly excellent IEMs but tuning is more bright-ish neutral with sub bass boost rather than warm.

Sony IER-M9 has a warm-neutral tuning with excellent detail, imaging and treble and very good separation.
The soundstage is interesting - not really that large but has very good depth and shape, and pinpoint positioning. It's like you have shrink yourself and step into it, like into a mini-world, then it becomes very realistic, also in size. Superb for classic, acoustic and jazz. For bass heavy genres you trade bass slam (not much) for texture and detail (very good).

The IER-Z1R would be the muscle version of the M9 with bottomless bass rumble when called upon and the biggest, most speaker like soundstage in an IEM.
You need big ears to fit them!

Based on Crinacle's list the Campfire Andromeda 2020 would also meet your requirements

Not much else that's warm tuned and technically excellent

Feb 5, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 15
Both of them are supposedly excellent IEMs but tuning is more bright-ish neutral with sub bass boost rather than warm.

Sony IER-M9 has a warm-neutral tuning with excellent detail, imaging and treble and very good separation.
The soundstage is interesting - not really that large but has very good depth and shape, and pinpoint positioning. It's like you have shrink yourself and step into it, like into a mini-world, then it becomes very realistic, also in size. Superb for classic, acoustic and jazz. For bass heavy genres you trade bass slam (not much) for texture and detail (very good).

The IER-Z1R would be the muscle version of the M9 with bottomless bass rumble when called upon and the biggest, most speaker like soundstage in an IEM.
You need big ears to fit them!

Based on Crinacle's list the Campfire Andromeda 2020 would also meet your requirements

Not much else that's warm tuned and technically excellent
I got the Monarch Mk2 and im in love.... so I'm looking for another! I love the frankly unreal sound, stage size as well as the nice boom it provides!

So the question is IER-Z1R or MEST Mk2!?

Feb 5, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 15
I got the Monarch Mk2 and im in love.... so I'm looking for another! I love the frankly unreal sound, stage size as well as the nice boom it provides!

Between those two I vote Z1R. But I think you should strongly consider the IER-M9 as well. It has a strong following nowadays after a pretty slow start in late 2018. I've had once since early 2019. Love it.

Feb 5, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 15
I still travel a lot for my new job so I'm looking for an IEM for isolation purposes(flying).

If in-flight is your primary use, I think ANC is the path for isolation & listening enjoyment (unless it messes with your hearing & equillibrium). In my experience, just do not get enough isolation to be worth the extra money for a high end IEM, unless it is truly multi-purpose and you intend to use it a lot outside of flying.

Otherwise I suspect you're not going to find much better in-flight isolation than with the Westone (I haven't had a westone IEM, but the long westone star foam tips on similar narrow nozzle, negative profile IEMs- old earsonics in my case- is the most tolerable in-flight listening i've experienced).

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 15
If in-flight is your primary use, I think ANC is the path for isolation & listening enjoyment (unless it messes with your hearing & equillibrium). In my experience, just do not get enough isolation to be worth the extra money for a high end IEM, unless it is truly multi-purpose and you intend to use it a lot outside of flying.

Otherwise I suspect you're not going to find much better in-flight isolation than with the Westone (I haven't had a westone IEM, but the long westone star foam tips on similar narrow nozzle, negative profile IEMs- old earsonics in my case- is the most tolerable in-flight listening i've experienced).
I get good isolation on almost all my IEM's I also just don't have space for cans

Feb 5, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 15

Like @CoryGillmore I’d pick the Z1R, it is a really special and exceptional IEM and it will be a great contrast to the Monarch.
Fit is a bit risky, since they are big and some have problems. But if the price is no issue, the Z1R is definitely worth a try.

Feb 5, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 15
I get good isolation on almost all my IEM's I also just don't have space for cans

I guess everyone has different tolerances. Was referring to ANC IEMs, not over-ears.

Large nozzle? is that the fit issue.

Nozzle isn't too bad IMO- normal width for shallow fit IEMs. Z1R can just be big and heavy depending on your ears. I have somewhat shallow ears, can only wear them without discomfort for maybe 2-3 hrs.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 15
For airplane use, you should have a good look at 64Audio.

I just got back from a return trip from Australia to the US, and the U6t with the M20 Apex module was an absolute joy to listen to, even straight out of the in-flight entertainment system on American Airlines. The U6t is easily the most comfortable IEM I own, I had no problem watching 3 movies back to back with zero fatigue.

As much as I adore my Andro2020, it was a total non-starter on the plane. The excess ambient noise was a killer, I put them away after about 15 seconds. I didn't even bother to take the IER-Z1R with me, it stayed home where it belongs.

Feb 15, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #15 of 15
Two in ear monitors that I currently have and can vouch for them. They are Pears SH3 and Oriolus Mellianus.
SH3 is in that price range and you get a custom done. They are excellent. Mids to die for, highs for days and bass that hits hard despite being a bit attenuated.
If you can get Mellianus at that price then please go for it. Not sure if they can make a custom of it though.
Another one to look into is InEars Prophile 8. The universal fits like a dream so I cannot even imagine how good a custom will fit. It has a very balanced sound and you have switches to change the lows and highs based on your preference. This one has a holographic soundstage but I found it to be a little less fun and energetic as compared to SH3 when I demoed them side by side. But isolation was very very good cause of the snug fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back