Need help adding headphones to basic home theater setup
Mar 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BigCactus

New Head-Fier
I have a soundbar w/ a subwoofer (Sony HT-CT150) hooked up to my plasma TV (Panasonic TC-P50U50) via HDMI ARC. I also have a cable box, Blu-Ray player, and an Xbox 360 hooked up to the soundbar via HDMI, so that the soundbar acts as a switcher. How can I add a wireless headphone to this system? Neither the TV nor the soundbar have headphone jacks.

I would like to be able to use headphones from time to time so that I don't disturb neighbors with the bass during certain times of day. How could I connect headphones to my setup, and get quality sound? Would I need to to connect an amp or DAC to my TV via digital optical? Or would I have to rewire my peripherals?

Could I do this:

-Connect all peripherals to a headphone amp using optical digital
-plug headphone jack into headphone amp

Here are the connections for the soundbar and the TV:

TV:

HDMI ports qty: 2
Input/Output connections:
HDMI - Rear,
1 x USB 2.0,
Composite video / component video input (RCA phono x 3),
Audio line-in,
(Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm),
1 x (TOSLINK)
Video interface:
HDMI,
Component,
Composite

Soundbar:

Connections:
1xHDMI output-Rear,
3xHDMI input-Rear,
2xSPDIF input-Rear,
1xSPDIF input-Rear,
2xAudio line-in-Rear,
1xDigital Media Port-Rear
Coaxial Digital Input: Yes
Optical Digital Input: Yes

Thanks!

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 3
Heya,

Based on all the things you're trying to do, I would invest into an inexpensive AVR, like an entry Yamaha or Pioneer. It will give you the options to do everything you're looking for. This can be $150~300.

Then add quality wireless headphones, or a really good wired headphone. And you're done.

Wireless headphones that are actually good start in the $200~500 range.
Really great wired headphones can be $200~300.

Very best,

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 3
This is my soundbar: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HT-CT150-Sound-Bar-System/dp/B003C1AO2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363056923&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+ht-ct150

The receiver (and HDMI switcher) is built into the subwoofer.  If I got an AV receiver, would I just connect all of my peripherals and TV (via HDMI) to the receiver, and then have an output going out to the soundbar?  Then I would amass a large collection of remotes to power on the receiver, the soundbar, the TV, and whatever peripheral I'd be using, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back