Need good black history/slavery book without n-word
Apr 22, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AH! Now I see. I got those two words mixed up. So Negro is the less derogatory term. Its a language issue, because in finnish language Neekeri (sounds bit like N-word) is the less bit derogatory one, though also used racistically, and shortened term Nekru (sounds like Negro when pronounced) is actually the racially insulting one.

Thanks for clarification.

Negro is actually spanish for black.
People down in southern USA are close to the borders of Mexico, South America etc, and the word traveled up to the USA and got used on black people.

The N word has no relation to it, and was actually a word referring to people who lived like poor slobs and were uneducated and could have been used to describe any colour person, but the people back then used it so often to refer to the black people then, that it just got affixed to them.

The word is just better off forgotten really.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think hes talking about the country of Niger, which has one G rather than the derogatory word that has GG in it.
Im not sure if Niger and Nigeria are the same thing, but i remember looking at some world globes and seeing the work and thinking the same as he thought.

I was actually speaking about both. They are neighbours. And to add more to the confusion, niger (IIRC) means black. And thats one of the sources where N-word came from AFAIK, so unless that extra G makes a world difference, you are just calling him black, just in different language. And now I am confused again...
icon10.gif

Okay, enough derailing I guess.

*edit* Ah, didnt see your post Drag0n. So again, I got words mixed up. *facepalm* I guess I should stay silent and just follow the thread.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Also do not black people themselves call each other with that name (not to the extent of american blacksploitation films ofcourse, but it is there).
It's just one of those things that white people aren't allowed to do because their ancestors were greedy ********. The word when used between two blacks I imagine it's interpreted as a sign of brotherhood, sort of sarcastic in a way, though these days it's more along the lines of "Ha white guys, we can do this and you can't. How's that for racism?" The word when used by a white to a black is interpreted as racist because of the history behind it. When used by a black to a white, it's just weird and also humorously ironic. When used between two whites then even I feel both whites need a solid kick to the nuts.

Funny thing, I grew up in the ghetto and pretty much everyone used the N-word (-ga), including some whites. We all knew each other to some extent, so folks were cool with it. (I'm Southeast Asian, picked it up from the black kids, use it around black kids, never been called out) If you were someone from say a different socio-economic class who wasn't black, then it might become an issue. But usually we just laughed it off.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

I was actually speaking about both. They are neighbours. And to add more to the confusion, niger (IIRC) means black. And thats one of the sources where N-word came from AFAIK, so unless that extra G makes a world difference, you are just calling him black, just in different language. And now I am confused again...
icon10.gif

Okay, enough derailing I guess.

This derailing can be good though, incase the question should come up and the OP has to explain this to his children, or anyone else.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

This derailing can be good though, incase the question should come up and the OP has to explain this to his children, or anyone else.

Edited my post a bit. Im not exactly sure anymore if Niger means black or did I just mix it up with the spanish word.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny thing, I grew up in the ghetto and pretty much everyone used the N-word (-ga), including some whites. We all knew each other to some extent, so folks were cool with it. (I'm Southeast Asian, picked it up from the black kids, use it around black kids, never been called out) If you were someone from say a different socio-economic class who wasn't black, then it might become an issue. But usually we just laughed it off.

They made another word to use more affectionately "nigga" rather than putting "er" at the end of the word, and thats usually the form used by rappers and in public.

Some people accept the "Eminem-types" saying nigga to their homies, but some dont. I think they shouldnt and its best left alone.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

They made another word to use more affectionately "nigga" rather and putting "er" at the end of the word, and thats usually the form used by rappers and in public.

I know. The -er version is what we'd consider offensive, but even then who says that other than old-time racist codgers and skinheads?

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Edited my post a bit. Im not exactly sure anymore if Niger means black or did I just mix it up with the spanish word.

Its connected and means black. Alot of languages are connected and have some of the same roots.
There wouldnt be a problem with the word at all, except that because of the way it was used in American history, it made the word bad, so being it offends people, its just better off not used. Just like most foul words.
They all came from somewhere innocent originally.

Take B*tch. Its just a name for a female dog, and youll hear it often in dog shows, but people are offended by it because of the way people use it.
Same with many other words like ass. Ass is a word used even in the King James bible and is just a donkey, but some picky people may not like it if the word is used in public by a child. Theres nothing wrong with any of these words, but if it offends, then dont say it around those people.
smily_headphones1.gif

***APOLOGIES TO THE OP. I HOPE YOU FOUND SOME OF THIS INFORMATION USEFUL AT LEAST, AND MAYBE THE BOOK AND DVD I SUGGESTED MAY BE OF SOME HELP ALSO. WE TOOK THIS THREAD A BIT OFF COURSE. ***

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Its connected and means black. Alot of languages are connected and have some of the same roots.
There wouldnt be a problem with the word at all, except that because of the way it was used in American history, it made the word bad, so being it offends people, its just better off not used. Just like most foul words.
They all came from somewhere innocent originally.

Take B*tch. Its just a name for a female dog, and youll hear it often in dog shows, but people are offended by it because of the way people use it.
Same with many other words like ass. Ass is a word used even in the King James bible and is just a donkey, but some picky people may not like it if the word is used in public by a child. Theres nothing wrong with any of these words, but if it offends, then dont say it around those people.
smily_headphones1.gif

***APOLOGIES TO THE OP. I HOPE YOU FOUND SOME OF THIS INFORMATION USEFUL AT LEAST, AND MAYBE THE BOOK AND DVD I SUGGESTED MAY BE OF SOME HELP ALSO. WE TOOK THIS THREAD A BIT OFF COURSE. ***

Yes I understand that the word itself is not bad, but due to circumstances it can be offending. I was more splitting hair and goofing around.
biggrin.gif
But I do have a point too, because the word is actually relatively harmless, (which you confirmed) getting hyped up over it is not good OP. Might even be a good chance to teach your kids what the word is, where it has come from and why its not approriate to use it. And if they do not hear it from you, they will hear it elsewhere and might even use it. This is just my POV though.

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #25 of 46
Heres a video of the Rosa Parks story.
She was a black woman in the 1960's that was told to sit in the back of the bus, but she stood her ground and sat in the front, and this tells what happened to her because of her bravery of standing up for morality and ethics.
In the reviews, a teacher says she uses it in her middle-school.

Amazon.com: The Rosa Parks Story: Angela Bassett, Peter Francis James, Tonea Stewart, Von Coulter, Dexter King, Cicely Tyson, Chardé Manzy, Stephanie Astalos-Jones, Patsy Benson, Charles Black, George Caldwell, Johnnie Carr, Julie Dash, D. Scott Lump

May 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #27 of 46
I am getting all the books suggested. I also agree with you all that said they are too young. I was in 7th grade when it was on TV and it had parts that I'll never forget.

The DVD is already on it's way but I guess I will save it for my wife and I.

Thanks for so many replies. The conversation deviated a bit, but let's not let it get too political. Heaven forbid the "powers to be" on this site see us get religious.
confused_face(1).gif

May 2, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by iq160plus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been listening to ROOTS (Alex Haley) on a 30 hr cd set this week. I intended to have my 6 and 8 yr old kids listen as an educational book at night, but it is riddled with "the n-word" about 1/2 way in.

Being a white man with two young kids, I do not want them to listen to such a book. Turned off Huckleberry Finn for the same reason.

On it's own merit, ROOTS in context for an adult seems not offensive as an educational resource. However, since I have told my children about all of the racial slurs I know for all sorts of races and the reasons for using never them, it seems counter-productive to allow them to listen to ROOTS.

I want them to have a realistic view of the horrible history of slavery. We have the bible for some in Egypt, Assyria, etc. I am looking for a book that tells the horrible beginning that black people had in their first experiences in the United States.

Any Ideas for books not riddled with racial slurs, and available in Audio Book form?
happy_face1.gif

I have ROOTS DVD on the way. I do not remember it being as bad. I also appreciate any ideas on how to properly educate children on the horrors of that part of history since it began early in US history and was heavily part of it up until I was a child.

Slavery in the US was not a isolated incident. Every country owned slaves at one point in history.. It's just that the US, for whatever reason, is the poster child for the misdeeds of slavery... Hell.. Slavery still goes on today. Why people give a word such power (N) is beyond me... & 6-8 is really too young.

May 2, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

They made another word to use more affectionately "nigga" rather than putting "er" at the end of the word, and thats usually the form used by rappers and in public.

Some people accept the "Eminem-types" saying nigga to their homies, but some dont. I think they shouldnt and its best left alone.

If you are 'down' a 'hip' black guy will call you 'nigga', & you can say it to him.. Too me that's like calling someone bro or dude.. & that's what it has become..Slang. I call everyone bro.. A blackman took offense to it once, & told me he doesn't like white people calling him bro..

May 2, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #30 of 46
Regarding slavery, ensure your children get a balanced view, and not one predicated on skin colour. While of course there was such a notion as "white man's burden", don't forget that slavery existed in Africa between and amongst Africans before the Europeans and Americans got involved.

Slavery is cross cultural and racial, American and European white master / black slave relationship is just a tiny sample of slavery, in addition to a European/American economic white master / white slave relationship.

so there's a black history of slavery, a white history of slavery and everything in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back