Need closed cans for gaming/music!
Jan 8, 2010 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cokenbeer

New Head-Fier
I've been reading here for quite a while getting ideas and picking up some of the suggested gear, but now I have a question for the more experienced members!

Currently, I'm using a Sennheiser PC350 headset for gaming and also have a set of older 580's that I picked up a few years ago. I don't use my headphones much for music or movies because I have a very good set of speakers from Focal.

However, for the past year I've been living in an apartment building, and I'd rather not have any noise complaints! I still use my speakers for movies since it's usually only a few times per week and it's not late at night, but I can't leave music blasting the whole time I'm here!

So what I'm looking for is a nice headphone setup that I can use for gaming (obviously I'll pick up a clip on mic) and for music listening.

I listen to all types of music, but mostly listen to rock/alternative, and house/dance music.

I like the Sennheiser HD580 and 595, but find them a little lacking in clarity and bass, and the PC350's are mostly crap except for the closed design and awesome mic.

I don't have a set budget, since it's probably my first step into REAL audiophile headphones I'm willing to "invest" in a decent setup including amp/dac. At the moment I'm using my PC with an Asus STX sound card and iTunes with all ALAC format music.

Thanks for the help!

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 15
You can get the ATH AD 900. No real need for a dedicated amp. Sound great for gaming, and a bit better for music than the AD700.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get the ATH AD 900. No real need for a dedicated amp. Sound great for gaming, and a bit better for music than the AD700.

He said he needs closed cans....

I heard some people recommend Denon AH-D2000 or even their higher end models for gaming, music and movies. But only if you do a certain mod to the earpads (not sure what mode) or buy JMoney replacement earpads. Do some research regarding what I said first, as I'm not talking from my own experience and merely relaying what I've read on this forum some time ago.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 15
Yeah, I can used open fro music and what not, but my GF will kill me if she has to listen to the idiots on vent while I'm gaming!

Maybe the best route would be to get some closed cans for gaming then another pair for music?

I've got money burning a hole in my pocket right now
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 15
This thread has information about modding the pc350 headset to improve the sq. It involves drilling holes in the back speaker casing and (optionally) adding wool. A mod like that is virtually permanent though, so it might not be for you.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 15
There's always the Audio Techinca closed version of the ATH-AD900, the ATH-A900 (closed)

I'm debating whether to get the 900s over the lower, cheaper, version (a700s), but if you've got the money the A900s are good closed cans for gaming, even if they AD900's open design provides a better (yet very leaky) soundstage. Very comfy too.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 15
Does Anybody here think I would benefit from some higher end closed cans? Something like the ATH-W5000? Yes I would be purchasing an AMP/DAC but for now I want to narrow down headphones so I can look for some to listen to!

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He said he needs closed cans....

I heard some people recommend Denon AH-D2000 or even their higher end models for gaming, music and movies. But only if you do a certain mod to the earpads (not sure what mode) or buy JMoney replacement earpads. Do some research regarding what I said first, as I'm not talking from my own experience and merely relaying what I've read on this forum some time ago.

Yes... perhaps something closed with a little more bottom end like the D5000.

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cokenbeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, if somebody were spending up to $1000 on closed headphones what would people suggest?

I think you will hear a lot of suggestions for the Denon AH-D2000, AH-D5000 and the AH-D7000. Especially if you want very nice bass. Put the JMoney pads on them, or mod them yourself to get better soundstage and imaging and they will even excel in gaming. There where some Head-Fiers whom thought that was comparable to an Audio Technica AD900 or even Beyerdynamic DT880 for gaming and movie use.

Keep in mind, I'm a noob myself and just take my comment as a suggestion for headphones to look into. Research those in other words and then judge for yourself whether they are what you are looking for.

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 15
1000$? Pro 900 plus a really nice source and amp. Hard to beat that under 1000$

Really the only closed headphone I can recommend to you.

D2000 is maybe nice but the wooden denons are kind of coloured. At least the markl modded I had have some club cellar tone going on. They aren´t transparent if you are looking for that. Such things works "sometimes" for music but for movies/games it get kind of weird when things doesn´t sound as you expect them to. When you get resonances out in the open like you are in a cave it feels wrong to me.

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #14 of 15
Benefits well they are quite different so much depends on your preferences as always. ED 8 is really a different headphone. It do offer better isolation but they sound more closed in. Soundstage is not at all equal to the Pro 900. Guess it part the smaller cavity, part the better isolation and part the rolled off treble and mid bass. I run my Pro 900 Kees modded so I seem to get less mid bass but still more low bass then the ED 8.

I use ED 8 solely for music in combination with primarily the Pro 900 currently.
For games and movies the Pro 900 outperforms the ED 8 with my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #15 of 15
Denon 2000's without a doubt. They are closed headphones with amazing bass and surprisingly good sound stage. They do leak sound a little, but its on par with someone whispering right next too you. The cable is the only downside to the headphones. Its somewhat stiff and tangles often if you are using the headphones at a short distance from the audio source. If you plan to use these headphones 10+ feet from your source then the cable will not be an issue. They are extremely easy to push too, you could easily use these in an ipod and get decent sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back