Need blues recommendations...
Sep 20, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #31 of 45
You might want to try this set too.
B0000AOYBN.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It is the best I have heard early Son House and Skip James sound.

JSP records http://www.jsprecords.com/ which is where the McTell set and this one are from have some great box sets at reasonable prices. Amazon usually has them for $25.99 to $28.99. I have built large prewar Blues, Jazz and Country/Bluegrass collections thanks to them.

Sep 21, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #32 of 45
the Skip James albums recorded in the 1960s sound much better than the vintage stuff, and James played much of the same material, so the post-rediscovery stuff is where i would start for anyone that doesn't want to deal with the lower sound quality material.

Sep 21, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #33 of 45
Based on this thread I digged into blues a bit. I do not know if it qulifies, I guess yes, but I had the crossroads 4 cds live by Clapton and some other albums.

I listen to several things and decided to keep BBking/Stevie Ray Vaughan ; "In Session' and BB King 'BLues on the bayou'.

I do not know blues that much so, at least for now, I do need good sound and I really enjoy those 2 albums.

Lionel

Sep 21, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #35 of 45
Some good recommendations here... I just picked up some Johnny "Guitar" Watson, Little Walter on the Chess label, and T-Bone Walker tonight from the local Barnes and Nobles bookstore. Very cool stuff. I am now interested in a whole genre that I never paid too much attention to before, which is fun. I'm sure I will be trying out more of the recommended artists in this thread soon.

Sep 21, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #36 of 45
I have some funk/blues promos from an old record store gig from Johnny "Guitar" Watson. Along with a pro-O.J. Simpson dance track by Code Blue, they were my proud processions as worst music collected there. There is of course other great stuff by Watson, but not on those discs.
wink.gif

And sad to see Ali Farka Toure go recently

Best Blues disc I've heard in a looooooong time is Buddy Guys 2001 release Sweet Tea. I know it sounds tired, but it gave me faith in a genre I gave up on.

B00005CC2J.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59812986_.jpg

Sep 21, 2006 at 10:27 AM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
the Skip James albums recorded in the 1960s sound much better than the vintage stuff, and James played much of the same material, so the post-rediscovery stuff is where i would start for anyone that doesn't want to deal with the lower sound quality material.

That was pretty much my line of thought. The folk / blues revival in the 60s meant that alot of the greats made a comeback with new recordings. While they are probably not as "seminal" as the vintage stuff, it is probably a good idea to start there - I am not sure whether I want to buy recording that date from the 20s and 30s, get totally turned off by the sound quality and end up giving up on the music. Better to start with tolerable sound, then go backwards in time.

Sep 21, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #38 of 45
Jubei says,
Quote:

Better to start with tolerable sound, then go backwards in time

I am not questioning the talent of many of the roots-blues players, but some of the records are more than 70 years old. The newer ones being 50 plus years old. It could be some hard sliding for the ill prepared.

An older album that sound o.k. and covers a lot of older blues musicians is "Bottles, Knives & Steel". It has Son House, Weaver and Beasley, Blind Boy Fuller, Buddy Woods and in my opinion, one of the best: Huddie William Ledbetter "Leadbelly".
etysmile.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
...Best Blues disc I've heard in a looooooong time is Buddy Guys 2001 release Sweet Tea. I know it sounds tired, but it gave me faith in a genre I gave up on.

B00005CC2J.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59812986_.jpg

Yeahhh!.. that album rocks!
cool.gif
Excellent sound quality too.

Sep 22, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #42 of 45
I have always liked Buddy Guy. I liked the album "Bring 'Em In" (Some nice Chicago Blues, but with a good amount of Soul). Based upon a couple recommendations on this site, I purchased "Sweet Tea".

I do not claim that there is a deep white-line that separates Blues from Rhythm and Blues from Rock and Roll. Sweet Tea started out with the song, "Done Got Old" - straight blues. The last song, "It's a Jungle Out There" - straight blues. The seven songs between the first and the last are more Rhythm and Blues, if not outright Rock and Roll.

Very good album (I liked it more than "Bring 'Em In"), but not an album full of The Blues.
etysmile.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #43 of 45
I like Buddy Guy too - but much prefer his early stuff on Chess. I am also partial to his Vanguard album "A Man And The Blues". Don't have much of his more recent CDs - I only have Damn Right I've Got The Blues, Live! The Real Deal and Heavy Love. Can't say I like them very much. Having said that, his cover of Cream's Strange Brew is real funky.

Thing is the man can really play a mean guitar but his albums are rather spotty. When you compare him with his contemporaries like Otis Rush and Magic Sam, he doesn't really have many signature tunes. The only one I can think of is "My Time After Awhile".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back