Need balanced amp suggestion for K340, budget $500
Dec 17, 2022 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SonicDawg

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I've a pair of modified AKG K340s for years that have been collecting dust. I want to set up a system around them again.
In the past, I've basically just driven them directly from classic speaker amps and they sing beautifully. But unfortunately while speaker amps provide a lot of power, the noise floor is quite high. So this time around I want to get a dedicated balanced amp, for around $500. I know this isn't a very big budget, but I'm not looking for TOTL here. As for my taste, I prefer warmer, relaxed sound, but with enough airiness and good speed and heft in bass (basically just enhancing K340s' natural sound signatures). Thanks!

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 4
I think @JAnonymous5150 could give you a good recommendation. He has experimented with the K340 on several system's. I use an unbalanced system with the 340's. I have no issues with power or noise at all. My Luxman R-113 drives them through the HP out and provides them with plenty of headroom to spare and sounds very magical. It has the versatility to add tube like warmth from the preamp or clean direct input.
The K340 are a very special, unique underappreciated HP that IMO are technically better sounding than most anything < $ 1000 these day's.
Do you know which driver's are installed in yours?

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 4
I think @JAnonymous5150 could give you a good recommendation. He has experimented with the K340 on several system's. I use an unbalanced system with the 340's. I have no issues with power or noise at all. My Luxman R-113 drives them through the HP out and provides them with plenty of headroom to spare and sounds very magical. It has the versatility to add tube like warmth from the preamp or clean direct input.
The K340 are a very special, unique underappreciated HP that IMO are technically better sounding than most anything < $ 1000 these day's.
Do you know which driver's are installed in yours?
Thanks for the suggestion. I believe my pairs are the bass-light version, but after switching out the old pads with some Ebay K240 pads, the bass volume increased.

Dec 20, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 4
HIFIman EF400 its a good Dac/amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back