Need an advice for new Headphones. Limited 1500$ budget
Mar 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

pila405

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for a good pair of headphones for under 1500$ (source and amplification will be chosen accordingly later on) which will answer the best the following requirements:
(At the moment I am considering the HD800, but didn't listen to them.....yet)

*I listen to Classical music (Baroque - present composers) almost exclusively with a bit of jazz.

-Balanced all over the spectrum
-Neutral and transparent
-Natural sound
-As detailed as possible
-Clean but pleasant treble
-Tight bass with good impact. Not blown\slow\exaggerated, but precise with full body (After all, it is the most important register for the harmonies)
-Liquid and vibrant, yet not forwarded, midrange. Most of the musical I listen to is instrumental.
-Comfortable. My head size is quite average, and I don't want the headphones to press my head\ears.
-Won't require amplification\source which will cost another few grands. (I have a budget for B22 and Buffalo DAC atm)

Thanks in advance :)

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 56
HD 800, matches your description of your ideal headphone right down to a tee.

with the right amp, the hd 800 has very accurate well controlled bass that still has weight and body to it, i never find it too light, though the treble might be a bit too much at times, but since you said you mostly listen to classical and jazz, you should find it just right.

you could also look at beyerdynamic T1, though i think you will enjoy the HD 800 more.

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 56
Quote:
Hi,

I am looking for a good pair of headphones for under 1500$ (source and amplification will be chosen accordingly later on) which will answer the best the following requirements:
(At the moment I am considering the HD800, but didn't listen to them.....yet)

*I listen to Classical music (Baroque - present composers) almost exclusively with a bit of jazz.

-Balanced all over the spectrum
-Neutral and transparent
-Natural sound
-As detailed as possible
-Clean but pleasant treble
-Tight bass with good impact. Not blown\slow\exaggerated, but precise with full body (After all, it is the most important register for the harmonies)
-Liquid and vibrant, yet not forwarded, midrange. Most of the musical I listen to is instrumental.
-Comfortable. My head size is quite average, and I don't want the headphones to press my head\ears.
-Won't require amplification\source which will cost another few grands. (I have a budget for B22 and Buffalo DAC atm)

Thanks in advance :)

Can't imagine another phone since you listen primarily to Classical and jazz. The amp and DAC are pretty much the top of the SS/DIY world. The hd800 might lean on the treble side, but has enough detail in the bass. It won't have the bass impact like that of closed phones, but good enough for orchestral things (unless you just want to have the drums/timpani shake you). Never heard of a person complaining about the hd800 for the mid rage. Just the treble.

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 56
What about the T1\T5p\LCD-3 etc'?

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 56
the T1 would be nice too, slightly less soundstage and a bit more bass than hd 800, slightly warmer too. 

the T5p wouldn't be a good option, not as refined, a little bass shy for most people. im sure the LCD-3 would be too colored and dark for classical. not neutral.

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 56
And what about the HiFiMan headphones? Are they anything near?

Have you tried the T1 with SS amps?

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 56
the HE-6 would be nice but requires alot of work to get them to sound good.

the HE-500 isn't quite as good, and unfortunately lacks soundstage. 

havent tried T1 with SS amps unfortunately.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 56
Quote:
What about the T1\T5p\LCD-3 etc'?

Like dubstep says, it's darker/colored. Also have seen somewhere talking about fail-rates for the diaphragm since it's thinner and rips, if I remember correctly. T5p was apparently disliked for the price-performance ratio compared to what people got with the t1. 

Quote:
the HE-6 would be nice but requires alot of work to get them to sound good.

Needs one man of an amp 
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 56
If you go with HD800, I'd suggest a different route from the B22. While a decent pairing, you can get better sound for the same or even less money now.

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #11 of 56
Maxvla - What amp would you recommend on?
I've read on the much cheaper M3, Lovely Cube, BCL, M-stage (which doesn't seem to be in the same league). 
I guess you would recommend the BHA-1, but for now it is out of my budget.

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #12 of 56
M-Stage would be ideal if you need to go cheap for a while. Get it with the built in DAC (only $30 more) for later re-purposing options once you upgrade. For DAC go Resonessence Concero. Concero sounds great and can be re-purposed later as well as a high quality converter if needed, or sold off. Both are small so you can move them to an office/work rig once you've upgraded out of them, and/or they are cheap enough that you won't lose much on them if you decide to sell them instead of re-purposing.

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #14 of 56
Don't know why I didn't think of the possibility... Haven't any reviews on them, will read later for sure now that you've brought it up. Thanks :)
Unfortunately I won't be able to listen to them before I purchase because I don't know anyone owning them anywhere near.

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #15 of 56
I'm  a classical, jazz, and opera music lover.  The HD800 are wonderful, but if they were my only or main transducer and I listened for hours at a time I think they would be a bit too much, even with a steady diet of the best vinyl played on very top end equipment.  

I have sensitive ears.  I've known many in my audio career who have ears as touch as stone.  So depends on your sensitivity.  

We all want to max out our budget, knowing if we spend the most we get the best.  But if I had to choose only one setup I would get the Koss electrostatic.  So involving, yet a bit full and sweet, and they are among the easiest easiest to listen to transducers I've ever heard given that they have good detail.   

Certainly it should be noted that I have not heard the LCD3, but I am waiting to have them come back into stock and then I can speak about them.  

If you read the Koss thread you'll see why I can't call them underappreciated.  Owners love them.  But those who do not have the Koss do not appreciate how good they really are, it seems.  The inexpensive looking amplifier that comes with them, the very low price considering they are electrostatics and come with an amp, the lack of glitz in their construction all combine to make many folks think they are less than what they really are.     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back