Need amp suggestions
Dec 21, 2010 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Clincher09

500+ Head-Fier
Amp wise, I currently own the Fiio E3 and E5. However, I was looking into getting a "real" headphone amp. I plan on getting new phones as well, something bass heavy, and I'd like an amp that would work well with this. I'd also like to keep it below $100 but I'd go up to $150 if it's worth it.

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 11
If I were you and had $150 to spend for a amp, I would buy the Headsixfor $166. I saw it
from this amp roundup thread where it is regarded highly. He rated A for every aspect of this amp.

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 11

That roundup thread is pretty old and doesnt have ANY tube amps in it, considering the fact that at that time the cheapest tube amp was 600+ dollars. After doing quite a bit of research, i finally decided to pull the trigger on the Little Dot Mark 2. I suggest you to do the same, they are considered to be the best amp at that price range and can be customised easily by changing the tubes.
Quote:
If I were you and had $150 to spend for a amp, I would buy the Headsixfor $166. I saw it
from this amp roundup thread where it is regarded highly. He rated A for every aspect of this amp.

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
That roundup thread is pretty old and doesnt have ANY tube amps in it, considering the fact that at that time the cheapest tube amp was 600+ dollars. After doing quite a bit of research, i finally decided to pull the trigger on the Little Dot Mark 2. I suggest you to do the same, they are considered to be the best amp at that price range and can be customised easily by changing the tubes.

I don't know much about tube amps. Can someone possibly dislike the distortion coming from the tubes? Are normal amps and tube amps comparable?

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 11

Most people say that solid states sound quite a bit different from tube amps, that tube amps have better vocal and general midrange presentation but less of the exact detailness of solid states and generally have warmer sound. Well to be honest i havent heard one for myself (im still learning) so i decided to get one for myself just to try 80 dollars is a pretty good deal IMO.
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know much about tube amps. Can someone possibly dislike the distortion coming from the tubes? Are normal amps and tube amps comparable?

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 11
1. Tube amps are, at best, transportable, but I dont know anyone who would contemplate moving one on a regular basis.

2. My T3 is in a drawer somewhere, and has been for months. It was designed for IEMs, but my PL50s work fine straight from a DAP - I believe that HeadphoneAddict thought very highly of this little guy, though.

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 11

The most moving I would be doing is bringing them with me if I'm riding in a car, so I guess tube amps won't be a problem. 
Quote:
1. Tube amps are, at best, transportable, but I dont know anyone who would contemplate moving one on a regular basis.

2. My T3 is in a drawer somewhere, and has been for months. It was designed for IEMs, but my PL50s work fine straight from a DAP - I believe that HeadphoneAddict thought very highly of this little guy, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back