Need advice for upgrading amp, Sennheiser HD600
Feb 12, 2014 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

acidogio

New Head-Fier
As the title says, I am a proud owner of a nice pair of the classic sennheiser HD600.

My actual set up consists of:

hd600 > schiit magni amp > pre-amp > thorens turntable

or

hd600 > magni > modi > pc

I feel as the magni is a tad on the bright side, and that I could really improve the sound I get out my senn's (especially when listening to vinyl) with an amp upgrade.

Mind, I've done some research, and apparently the most recommended amps for this specific headphone are:

*bottlehead crack OTL
*darkvoice 336se
*little dot mk III or IV
*schiit asgard

even though I've done my fair bit of research, I must admit at this point I'm quite confused about what amp I should go with, and why.

what I'm looking for is to enhance the sound I get out of my senns, adding maybe a little bit of emphasis on the low frequencies but without losing the somewhat neutral sound we all know the hd600 for.

I feel that a tube amp would be the best way to achieve that, and I am looking forward to receive some valid suggestions from any of you with some actual experience with these cans and the amps I've mentioned.

At this point I'm quite lost and even though I've read and lurked on the forum for A LOT of time I would appreciate your help very much.

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 4
   I notice you have the Asgard on your list, how about the Valhalla or Lyr. Both sound pretty good on the HD600's.

Some say the Valhalla is even brighter than the mangni, which is definitely a cons for me. Tube rolling isnt a viable option as far as I've read in its review here on head-fi.

I would also have to order it to Europe and pay customs on it, while I could probably find the others mentioned within the EU, with a bit a search done.

Most of all I can't really make my mind up, since I haven't got the chance to try any of those amps beforehand, hence the request of advice from those who actually have owned or heard them on the HD600.

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 4

Some say the Valhalla is even brighter than the mangni, which is definitely a cons for me. Tube rolling isnt a viable option as far as I've read in its review here on head-fi.

I would also have to order it to Europe and pay customs on it, while I could probably find the others mentioned within the EU, with a bit a search done.

Most of all I can't really make my mind up, since I haven't got the chance to try any of those amps beforehand, hence the request of advice from those who actually have owned or heard them on the HD600.

I didn't know you were in Europe. Check out Meier Audio, the Corda Rock or Jazz would do you just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back