Need advice for the Grado HF-1 and DT880
Sep 21, 2006 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aluren

Headphoneus Supremus
recently i took the plunge and got the Grado HF-1. i've had them for about 2 weeks now and been listening to them whenever i could and try to get used to the sound. coming from the DT880, i noticed that the HF-1's mids seem to be overly emphasized. female vocals seem unnatural. soundstage is smaller. not as detailed as the DT880. i've read about the grado's signature sound and how they're known for the mids. i did not expect it to be like this since this is the first grado i've owned and listened to. however, i do want to say that they are fun to listen to when it comes to certain music genres, particularly rock and techno. the bass is much more impactful than the DT880. going back to the DT880, it seems like there's no bass whatsoever.

i'm now swtiching back and forth between these two cans. for slow music, its the DT880 and for fast music, its the HF-1.

so i wanted to know which cans would carry all the positives of both cans? would the HHF-1 be the solution? GS1000? my budget can be pretty high, about $1000-2000. basically what i'm trying to get at is getting that one headphone that will have the best of both worlds. i'm kinda tired of switching headphones back and forth and wouldn't mind paying a hefty price for a nice pair of headphones that will do the job.

Sep 21, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 8
you may love the gs1000's. incredible soundstage, detail, bass, comfort. one of the best headphones I've ever heard. they are not the same as other grados vis a vis mids, and with the huge soundstage/imaging it's not possible to also have the "onstage/in your face" presentation of hf1's et al. if you are not addicted to that presentation, these are possibly your dream "one can to rule them all" headphone. I just sold mine to buy PS1's, but that's after 10 years of RS1's - I need the in yer face thang for some harder rock. but the gs1k's are so good that I am already planning on buying another pair asap. they are in another league in every way from HF1's and DT880's. also, Todd (ttvj) gives a 30 return if they're not your thing, so you can try them with no risk.

Sep 21, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 8
thanks for the advice, analog. i find it very helpful. i have been reading reviews and impressions on the GS1000 and the post by DRSpeed85 "noob's impression on GS1000" really caught my attention since DRSpeed85 mentioned that those cans doesn't carry the signature Grado mids, which i spoke of earlier and thought the HF-1's mids were over emphasized.

how about the audio-technica series, say W5000 or L3000? again, as analog mentioned, i am looking for one headphone to rule them all. my desk has been so messy with all the phones and i hate to have to switch headphones for different genres of music, understandly knowing that there isn't a perfect headphone, but simply something good enough to handle it all.

Sep 21, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
thanks for the advice, analog. i find it very helpful. i have been reading reviews and impressions on the GS1000 and the post by DRSpeed85 "noob's impression on GS1000" really caught my attention since DRSpeed85 mentioned that those cans doesn't carry the signature Grado mids, which i spoke of earlier and thought the HF-1's mids were over emphasized.

how about the audio-technica series, say W5000 or L3000? again, as analog mentioned, i am looking for one headphone to rule them all. my desk has been so messy with all the phones and i hate to have to switch headphones for different genres of music, understandly knowing that there isn't a perfect headphone, but simply something good enough to handle it all.

How do you like your E500's? Are they pretty perfect for a IEM or is there something you'd change about them?

Sep 21, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 8
There is no "headphone to rule them all," at least if you don't love a certain presentation. If you like two headphones as opposite sounding as the DT880 and HF1, I strain to imagine something that could give you the sound of both in one package. On one hand you have a a headphone that has euphonic bumps at strategic points across the spectrum to compensate for roll-off and lack of soundstage. On the other hand you have a headphone that is perhaps so linear and well-behaved that many people find it to be boring. The mentality of sound reproduction could be nary any more divergent.

Considering that you enjoy two so different headphones, it is hard to way which of the higher-ups will sound right for you. My advice is just to try them, as many as you can, however you can. There is no perfect headphone, you just have to find one(s) that make compromises that you can live with. Perhaps you will find that your current duo is a great pair. Perhaps you'll gravitate to a more all-around headphone which would not do what the HF1 nor the DT880 does quite as well, but prevent as much headphone swapping.

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 8
you know, its only after listening to the HF-1 that i realized i'm quite a bass head. its good that you asked, wakeride, because i do find the e500 to have a pretty nice balance between the HF-1 and the DT880. it has both the details of the DT880 and the bass/fun factor of the HF-1. at one point, i actually thought about getting rid of all my cans and keeping only the e500. however, i find that there's certain genres that the DT880 does so much better and same for the HF-1.

very good advice, irondreamer. i guess i would need to go to a meet and try'em all out. maybe some amps will compensate for what my cans lack. as far as the one headphone concept, i guess i was just trying to see if there's something that'll fit me best, and the answer to that only i can obtain. kinda like people who have both a roadster and an SUV.

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 8
Do be sure to entertain the Beyer DT-990s ('05) as a potential one can solution for your preferances, irregardless of price...

Has the bass, somewhat relaxed mids (relative to foward, or in your face) with sparkling HFs....And IS a fast driver for rock with clarity & seperation with complex music, and a WIDE soundstage presented as being closer to the performers than the 880s (I believe) or my 701s....

Although, I'll also keep my AKG-701s with their neutral presentation for relaxed moods and music....

Of course, mods to your DT-880s may be something to look into; Search, or PM "Great Dane" I believe i'm referancing on that mod...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back