Need a sound card with coaxial output, does brand really matter?
Jul 28, 2010 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Thaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
I need a sound card that has coaxial output and will support Kernel Streaming for XP.  Does brand matter at all or can I just pick up any old sound card?  Any recommendations?  Right now I have a Chaintech AV-710 and use the optical output, however I was never able to get kernel streaming working and I'd like to get something with a coaxial output.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 13

Quote:
I need a sound card that has coaxial output and will support Kernel Streaming for XP.  Does brand matter at all or can I just pick up any old sound card?  Any recommendations?  Right now I have a Chaintech AV-710 and use the optical output, however I was never able to get kernel streaming working and I'd like to get something with a coaxial output.

I would care more about the rest of the components in the PC. If you have a bulky video card and a crappy PSU in your pc, this will at least increase the noise floor (also for digital), and this will be much more noticeable than any subtle differences between different cards digital outs.

I would choose a card with good drivers for digital. You can pick up a used RME Digi for like 70 eur or so. Its drivers are superb, measured in kilobytes (means that guys knew what they are doing :) I had both RME Digi, Rme HDSP, ESI u24, Awe64 Gold and integrated realtek hd at the same time, and although I was not that anal to compare their digital outs thoroughly, the first thing I noticed in my preliminary comparison was that computer/psu matters much more.

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 13
My power supply has plenty of head room, my PC is basically dedicated towards internet browsing and audio.  So, just a bunch of HDD space.  I really just want bit-perfect output via coaxial on the cheap.  I'd rather spend more money on a nicer DAC.

edit: What about something like this  -->  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829270006

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:

Have you considered an external unit like the Hiface which allows kernel streaming or the Teralink X2 which has ASIO..etc.

Have you checked the specifications on the digital out on your mobo, if you have one?

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 13
Since your on XP just able any driver or configuration is going to be shakey, the easiest way is to go with Rob's suggestion imo.  I would just go with the Hiface and connect to an external DAC.

My configuration is similar, just it skips the whole USB---->Spdif piece.
WASAPI(Like ASIO/Kernel Streaming) -----> Auzentech Prelude Spdif ------> External unit for music.

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Have you considered an external unit like the Hiface which allows kernel streaming or the Teralink X2 which has ASIO..etc.

Have you checked the specifications on the digital out on your mobo, if you have one?

Actually, I haven't considered any external units, although it does sound like a very easy way to achieve bit-perfect output.  Can you provide a link to where I can purchase the Hiface and Teralink?

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 13
The HiFace is a transport, meaning you need a DAC to go with it(and amp if you so desire or you can just buy a combo box)

http://www.tweekgeek.com/_e/Portable_Computer_Audio/product/HiFace/M2Tech_HiFace_Turns_an_Ordinary_PC_into_an_Audiophile_Music_Server.htm

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Actually, I haven't considered any external units, although it does sound like a very easy way to achieve bit-perfect output.  Can you provide a link to where I can purchase the Hiface and Teralink?

Hiface
You can buy them from many places: TweekGeek
Teralink
You will have to look for the Teralink X2 but that might be your best bet if you want both Coaxial,optical and BNC output.
There may be a few for sale here on the forum.

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #11 of 13
Thanks for the information.  I also noticed that Audio-GD is planning on releasing a similar product as the M2Tech HiFace.  With all the issues people are having with different parts being used on different HiFace adapters, I'm going to hold off until the new Audio-GD USBFace can be reviewed.  I'm also planning on getting the DAC-19 DSP, so at least the cases would look similar...

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #12 of 13
IIRC, The issue with the Hiface, is for people that bought them awhile back.  Anyway, some are giving attention to the Audio-GD USB device.
Maybe you can buy both as a deal.

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #13 of 13
The Audio-GD does look appealing.  Something that bothers me about the HiFace is the size.  I know it's a basic device that works, but I can't help but think it's just a cheap piece of plastic that cost $150.  For my desktop setup, the Audio-GD form factor is MUCH more appealing.  We'll see if it ever makes it to production though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back