Need a pair of closed headphones
Oct 24, 2010 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TLDMan

Head-Fier
I have a pair of Portapros and am looking for a step up in a closed set.

-I'll be plugging it into my computer about 75% of the time (320/FLAC), but also want to use it with my iPod and an AT-LP60 turntable connected to a home theater receiver.
-Additionally, I want to use the headphones in a library (so minimal sound leakage is important), while drumming (I'm not looking for the best isolation though,) and on-the-go, though not too often. So it has to be somewhat portable.
-I listen to mainly indie rock, indie pop, and folk; however, my music tastes span many genres including shoegaze, psychedelic, punk, grunge, and electronic. I listen to most genres except for rap and hard metal which I keep at a minimum.
-I like my bass strong, but not if it overtakes other parts of the music.
-My price range is <$150, but I'd be willing to go up to $200 if it makes a big difference in quality. I will not be using an amp.

For the past few months, I've been looking at many headphones. The M50 and SRH840 caught my attention. I immediately dismissed the 840 due to comfort and have been seriously considering the M50, but I recently heard that the M50 isn't great with rock and has recessed mids that make it ill-suited for both aggressive rock and folk. I also recently saw the HD-25 1 II which I heard was what I was looking for, but the $200 price tag and the supra-aural design turned me off (I'm looking for around-ear cans.)

Anyone have recommendations? No IEMs, please.

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 8
DT250 (80 ohm) maybe. Mids aren't recessed like they are on the M50 and it just sounds better overall imo.

Oct 24, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 8
"I recently heard that the M50 isn't great with rock and has recessed mids that make it ill-suited for both aggressive rock and folk" - wow. Mids recessed on M50? Compared to? I find them to be perfect - probably even a bit emphasized. Also, they sound great right out of the ipod. Opinions differ from one person to another but I just wanted to let you know that you shouldn't skip considering M50 just for that reason.

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 8
Not out yet but this looks interesting and will probably meet most of the criteria (I've never known Klipsch products to lack bass): http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/image-one-overview

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 8
At $200 i'd buy the Sennheiser HD25-1's and nothing else would get a look in. Because essentially they're DJ headphones, they have a higher sensitivity and so an amp isn't really needed. The HD25-1's, are the most 'inlike' Sennheiser headphones that Sennheiser do. They are quite ofrward, the bass is strong but not overbearing and i've had mine since 1997 and i would never get rid of them .... perish the thought.

I know that newer models have come along, but at $200 i've yet to hear 'better'. A truly special pair of headphones. Like i said, don't let the Sennheiser name put you off, the HD25-1's  Rock!

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
DT250 (80 ohm) maybe. Mids aren't recessed like they are on the M50 and it just sounds better overall imo.

Thanks for the opinion. I heard that Beyers need an amp to sound good. Is that true?

Quote:
"I recently heard that the M50 isn't great with rock and has recessed mids that make it ill-suited for both aggressive rock and folk" - wow. Mids recessed on M50? Compared to? I find them to be perfect - probably even a bit emphasized. Also, they sound great right out of the ipod. Opinions differ from one person to another but I just wanted to let you know that you shouldn't skip considering M50 just for that reason.

I'm not dismissing them entirely - they're still up in the running - but I've heard many comments around here about the mids being recessed compared to other phones at this range (like the 840s.) 

Quote:
Not out yet but this looks interesting and will probably meet most of the criteria (I've never known Klipsch products to lack bass): http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/image-one-overview

Looks pretty good, but I'm kind of looking for something with a reputation.

Quote:
At $200 i'd buy the Sennheiser HD25-1's and nothing else would get a look in. Because essentially they're DJ headphones, they have a higher sensitivity and so an amp isn't really needed. The HD25-1's, are the most 'inlike' Sennheiser headphones that Sennheiser do. They are quite ofrward, the bass is strong but not overbearing and i've had mine since 1997 and i would never get rid of them .... perish the thought.

I know that newer models have come along, but at $200 i've yet to hear 'better'. A truly special pair of headphones. Like i said, don't let the Sennheiser name put you off, the HD25-1's  Rock!

Yeah, it's not the Sennheiser name that's putting me off, more so the on-ear design. If they're really that good, though, I'd still go for them. How's the comfort, isolation, and leakage?

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 8
After doing some more research, I'm pretty set on the M50s. Just a quick question before I go through with it, can the M50 be EQed to bring out the vocals a little more?

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back