Need a new pair of headphones similar to DT770
Jun 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Discostink

New Head-Fier
So, I've had a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro for the last few years that have finally crapped out on me, so I'm on the market for a new pair. At first I was thinking of just getting a new pair, but I figured I'd check with people who actually know about this stuff first before I spend my money. 

I'm mostly looking for something similar to the DT770's, in that they're closed and filter out a lot of outside noise, yet are quite comfortable to wear for longer periods of time. I'd prefer a nice amount of bass in them, but not something too overboard, so the highs and mids are too washed out.

My budget isn't huge, around 200 USD, so it'll have to stay around there. It's a bit restrictive, but it's really all I can muster up right now.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #2 of 8
Why not just get another pair of DT770s if you really like them? It's not like your budget allows you to jump up to a better class of headphones. You might be disappointed in anything else you get.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 8
The SoundMAGIC HP100 is somewhat similar to the DT770, but it is more neutral (mids aren't recessed, highs aren't as harsh) and slightly better all-around.  The HP100 uses pleather pads, but they can be swapped for the DT770 pads.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Why not just get another pair of DT770s if you really like them? It's not like your budget allows you to jump up to a better class of headphones. You might be disappointed in anything else you get.

Because it's entirely possible that there's a better alternative to something when you don't really know much about the subject. Just figured I'd check if there's a pair of headphones that have the same features but in higher quality for the same price.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #5 of 8
Because it's entirely possible that there's a better alternative to something when you don't really know much about the subject. Just figured I'd check if there's a pair of headphones that have the same features but in higher quality for the same price.

The DT770s have an excellent sound and are often considered a best choice for their price. Finding some that sound better to you would likely involve demoing different pairs, unless you can describe in detail what you do like and don't like about the SQ of the DT770s. Then maybe someone might be able to suggest an alternative.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
The DT770s have an excellent sound and are often considered a best choice for their price. Finding some that sound better to you would likely involve demoing different pairs, unless you can describe in detail what you do like and don't like about the SQ of the DT770s. Then maybe someone might be able to suggest an alternative.

Well that's comforting at least, nice to know I made a good purchase back then.

As for specific sound quality, I don't really have a hugely specific need. If the DT770's are the best choice in their price range and the sound levels they have, that that's all I need to know. Thanks.

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
So, I've had a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro for the last few years that have finally crapped out on me, so I'm on the market for a new pair. At first I was thinking of just getting a new pair, but I figured I'd check with people who actually know about this stuff first before I spend my money. 

I'm mostly looking for something similar to the DT770's, in that they're closed and filter out a lot of outside noise, yet are quite comfortable to wear for longer periods of time. I'd prefer a nice amount of bass in them, but not something too overboard, so the highs and mids are too washed out.

My budget isn't huge, around 200 USD, so it'll have to stay around there. It's a bit restrictive, but it's really all I can muster up right now.

Audio Technica ATH-A900X (closed) headphones.
One step up in sound quality over the DT770s
Digbuy sells them for $154.99, plus tax & shipping.
and as they are only around 40-ohms, do not need to be used with a headphone amp.
But really not the best choice for use with receivers, as receiver's headphone jacks usually have a high impedance.

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Not really there German ha

There is the new DT770 32ohm and the Custom 1 Pro, or the UE6000's but I wouldn't say there better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back