Need a HT receiver around $500 (not for headphones btw)
May 20, 2009 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Zorander

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace an old AIWA receiver (reason: too tall, stereo only and is breaking down). I would like some recommendations from fellow members as to what to get at my price range.

My criteria is simple: around $500 (can stretch a little if worth it), at least 5.1 (prefer 7.1 for future-proofing) and sounds good (musical?) for the price. This will be used mainly for TV viewing and occasional games/movies with an audience that is not into 'audiophile listening', i.e. general use. I would use my existing Rotel integrated but but I would like to utilize all front, rear and center speakers the AIWA originally came with.

Please do not hesitate to bombard me with suggestion (and let me know if I am missing any vital info).

Thanks in advance!

May 20, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #3 of 15
Did you need HDMI? Also, since you already have an amp, why don't you use a surround processor instead of receiver?

May 20, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i went with pioneer and it was pretty good i paid like 300usd. i would lokk into pioneer elites and the denons. check out amazon they have competitive prices on them. once you find the model that you want head to avs forums and see what people there have to say about it.

I did have a look at Denons but most seem well beyond my budget. Is there a good entry-level amp from them? I would be happy with a Pioneer amp too since I already have a Pioneer DVD player (albeit an old, entry-level unit). I don't know where they stand with the competition though. Are Pioneers considered good in the HT market? What about Sony?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you need HDMI? Also, since you already have an amp, why don't you use a surround processor instead of receiver?

I don't think I need HDMI at the moment but one never knows if it becomes a necessity in the near future. The Rotel amp I mentioned is a stereo integrated hence why I need a HT receiver.

Thanks!

May 20, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

hy don't you use a surround processor instead of receiver?

If he buys a surround processor he'll need to buy a 3 channel poweramp as well. I'd look at Yamaha amps, and perhaps buy one second hand that way you can go up the range.

May 20, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 15
Separate components will probably cost more than your budget. Yes they are better. However, $$. The surround pre-amps are the costly bit. Amps are pretty affordable. My receiver has an 8 channel pre-out if I want to add external amps. Most receivers don't in the sub $500 range though.

Don't bother with hdmi hd audio. Just go hdmi video or component w/ coax or optical audio. I have a Denon 589 receiver and it sounds pretty damn good with my 550 MKII floorstanders. I don't really need a sub for most music b/c the response is solid down to 40hz. I still intend to add a sub very soon though lol. The 589 is around $300.

The Denon have the Audyssey room calibration software. It auto sets up your speakers to create a better sound w/ less echo/reflections. With just two speakers, I get very good "surround" effects.

May 20, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

damn good with my 550 MKII floorstanders. I don't really need a sub for most music b/c the response is solid down to 40hz.

For AV you may actually prefer setting everything to 80hz, and with subwoofer on. For movies I'd recommend a subwoofer even though your speakers go down to 40hz.

Quote:

It auto sets up your speakers to create a better sound w/ less echo/reflections.

It can't sort out reflections but if you have bass peaks it should sort out that. You can't expect EQ to sort out if your HT is in a glasshouse.

From my research it seems to me only subwoofer channel is worth playing with PEQ the rest should be alright, and should sound better without going through a EQ filter.

I don't ike Audyssey because you can't see before/after, I want to know what it's doing to the signal, and by how much- and if the rooms response.

May 22, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 15
I would recommend getting a Denon with probably packaged speakers, which is Boston Acoustic. I bought my Denon 488BA a few months ago before Circuit City was still open. Its a good receiver and the speakers are also very good. I bought open box for $400. Its 5.1 (5 x 75 W and 100W down firing subwoofer).

You may want to be on the lookout for some good open box deals (with protection plan of course). I was not too particular about HDMI upconversion (due to the cost factor). I send the HDMI from my ps3 to my HDTV and the sound to the receiver using the digital optical cable. This setup works fine for me.

Best.

May 22, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 15
I only have one sub iriver. Two stereos and one sub = bigger speakers crossed at 40 w/ no sub.

Anyway, just ordered TSC 250 sub. Got it cheap enough to try it.

Denon receivers, atm, are my favorite. Very impressed with what my entry level 589 puts out. My big Boston Acoustic receiver kicks its butt but the 589 still does stellar for the $$.

May 23, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 15
I'm considering going with the 789 atm though I don't know if this is an overkill since I'm going to be pairing it with the existing AIWA speakers (which does not sound bad) and considering it's only for 'general' use. The 689 can be had for $200 less but I don't know if the inability to pass audio through HDMI as well as the lack of video upscaling ability are worth that difference. OTOH I'm eyeing the cheap Yamahas too; plenty of them around the $200-400 bracket.

May 23, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 15
AIWA Speakers??? What hehehe upgrade those too
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 15
For goodness sakes yes. Get the 689 and some new speakers man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back