Need a bit of help deciding which door to take into the world of hi-fi headphones!
Nov 29, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #16 of 37
Why not shell out a little more and buy the more expensive Grados?

I'm not a fan of the 60 or 80s, I think their treble is harsh and the sound overall isn't as good as headphones in the same price range.

As for the HD555 or HD595. Get the HD555 and do the mod (takes like 5 minutes) and you'll have a sound of the HD595 at half the price. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #17 of 37

Quote:
Why not shell out a little more and buy the more expensive Grados?

I'm not a fan of the 60 or 80s, I think their treble is harsh and the sound overall isn't as good as headphones in the same price range.

As for the HD555 or HD595. Get the HD555 and do the mod (takes like 5 minutes) and you'll have a sound of the HD595 at half the price. 

I've heard of this mod. What does it do? I'm guessing it loosens some sort of diaphragm, but I'm new at this
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #18 of 37
There are a lot of post regarding this mod, even youtube videos. Search for them.  Essentially, it involve opening the headphone and remove a piece of foam. It is completely reversable and increase bass.   There is also another mod which involve cutting off part of the internal grill and increase soundstage. this one is not reversable.  Again, numerous posts on this, a quick search will have threads including step by step pictures for it.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #19 of 37
Yep. I was taking about the foam mod. Its quick, easy, and makes the sound a lot better.

The grill mod I didn't touch. I don't like doing scarier things to my headphones.... but the foam one is easy and harmless. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #20 of 37
i have heard the hd595 intimately as my friend owns one, as well as a grado sr325is. i have owned an alessandro ms2i before and a grado sr60. unamped i would choose the grado, even the sr60, over the hd595, as the grados have better detail, and better sound as per my ears. the hd595 sounds neutral and somewhat uninspired, even with the amps that i tested them with (audio-gd c-2c and little dot mk2). the problem with the grados will be comfort and listening fatigue. i sold my grado because i could not tolerate extended listening time with them...

i would suggest the grados for your music, but get the senns if you cannot tolerate excessive highs, or if comfort is a main consideration...

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #21 of 37
I serioulsy suggest the OP try some form of these headphones or the other. Granted differeing senns models and Grados models will sound quite different, but the overall sound sig for a brand is similar.

Decide with your ear. Everyone is different and each opinion on this thread is quite valid. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to the treble of the Grados. Maybe its music taste. There are a lot of reasons why someone would prefer something over the other. 

I like the HD555/HD595 because I have a good collection of classical and instrumental music. These do very well with them. Someone who likes rock music will probably enjoy the 60/80s. Another who likes trance might not like either. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #22 of 37
Hey headfiers, update: I was actually able to audition some Grados today at a local shop here! I tried the sr 80i's and enjoyed it...then I foolishly tried the Sr 225i and thought my ears had been touched by God Himself
gs1000.gif

I was unable to audition the 595, as they were out at the moment and did not have a test unit. It's a pretty small but cool shop. I did try some AKG and thoroughly enjoyed those as well.

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #24 of 37
I auditioned a pair of Beyer DT 770 today and really enjoyed them...the mids seemed a bit recessed though. Does this change any after burn in?

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #26 of 37
The problem of recessed mids, overbearing highs, or tonal imbalance in general, can be rectified through the use of an equalizer. 

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #27 of 37
Thank you guys for all of the help and advice. I finally purchased the Grado SR 80i as I was thoroughly impressed with their sound and their ability to drive well without an amp. I have learned soooo much on these forums and I will definitely be coming here more often and really learning about the complexities of one of my new-found joys
darthsmile.gif

Dec 4, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #28 of 37
Questions:  Are you in McKinney, Tx and if so, what shop did you go to?  Did you buy from the local dealer?

TIA

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #29 of 37

Quote:
Questions:  Are you in McKinney, Tx and if so, what shop did you go to?  Did you buy from the local dealer?

TIA

I do live in McKinney, TX. But, I had a lot of trade-in credit on Amazon, so I bought from a dealer called "Huppins." I love supporting local businesses, but I just did not have the assets to buy at full price at the time.

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #30 of 37

Quote:
Quote:

TIA

I do live in McKinney, TX. But, I had a lot of trade-in credit on Amazon, so I bought from a dealer called "Huppins." I love supporting local businesses, but I just did not have the assets to buy at full price at the time.

I see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back