NECO SOUNDLABS PORTABLE V.2 AMP
May 20, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #361 of 424
But that's not his own, party pooper.

May 20, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #362 of 424

Awesome!  I was fortunate enough to have Neco send me one of these just prior to his announcement of their availability. Quite a bit better than a V4.1 in all the ways that the V4 improved on the V3 but even a bit more.  The current feedback design really allows this amp to control what my Slants are doing. PRAT is the most immediately noticeable difference!

Happy Listening,
Jgwtriode

May 21, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #365 of 424
I wasn't even expecting this Neco amp to be nearly on par with my Stepdance in sound.
Also, I just love the sound of ADA4627, my favorite opamp.

May 22, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #366 of 424
  I wasn't even expecting this Neco amp to be nearly on par with my Stepdance in sound.
Also, I just love the sound of ADA4627, my favorite opamp.

Honestly it is a substantially better amp than the V4 even with the virtual grounds, which was noticeably better than the original V4.  I have followed the progression of these amps since the V3.  So this is the fourth variation I have owned.  It is the biggest step in my opinion.  I suggested to Neco he call it the V6 to suggest the jump in performance.  However Neco is truely modest about his work.  I gave him a number of preliminary comments about the performance.  My system is in an intermim state at the moment as my uptone regen went south and my USB cable broke so I am improvising.  I will have a W4S recovery reclocker in the next week or two.  Waiting on a new production run. And building a new usb cable myself using silver gold wire etc.  Then I can more thouroughly comment on just how good.  But the V5 is noticeably more detailed, more musical more involving and throws a larger stage in all directions than Neco's most recent version of the 4.1.  It drives my Paradox Slants much more effortlessly than the 4.1 and plays louder at same volume and gain settings.  Bass is more detailed and extended.
Dynamics are noticeably more powerful and simultaneously more subtle.  It is not a small difference in my opionion and this is very obvious with LFF's Paradox Slants. Soundstage actually on them defies the sense you are listening with headphones. I threw Fidelizer Pro in to the mix just before my uptone and cable bit the dust.  I am expecting even better with W4S recovery reclocker and my new cable.  I am a bit of maniac about sound quality...but my budget is always tighter than I would like.   That is one of the main reasons and of course the fact that FLYSWEEP recommended the V3 to me originally.  I have been a Neco fan every since.  I have communicated at length with
him and have found him to be an absolute gentleman, a brilliant designer, and someone who takes his customers feedback and satisfaction very seriously.  He has bent over backwards for me on a couple of occasions.  I would recommend his products and service to anyone.

Best of Luck to you in your search for musical enjoyment!

Happy Listening,
jgwtriode!

May 22, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #367 of 424
You can PM Flysweep about the Stepdance for comparison.  I am pretty sure he owned one or may still.  He could give you a very good sense of the differences with it and the original 4 with AD 4627's.  I trust his recommendations and hearing implicity based on a number of conversations and a very similar approach to listening.  He also is a true gentleman!

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

May 31, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #368 of 424

I recieved NECO V5 yestaday.
V5 is so good better than V4,V3,V2.
It has wide sound stage and no distortion with high dynamic range music.
Example
  1. Title: Stravinsky: The Song Of The Nightingale, The Firebird, Rite of Spring
  2. Artist: Eiji Oue, Minnesota Orchestra

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #370 of 424
Finally pushed the buy button on a V5,  now just to need to find a good home for my V4. I can't really use it as desktop as I have Neco's Bossfet V3 desktop already 
very_evil_smiley.gif
not as many made but nice if you can find one.

...and the waiting begins..................
frown.gif
gs1000.gif

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #371 of 424
V5 Arrived today halfway through Animalia by Mammal Hands an album I'm know well and neco really has made a simply superb amp again. The Dual mono I love and such an engaging amp and it will only get better. Early to give much detail but yes everything is better. I will miss opamp rolling but I never found one that sound like this.

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #373 of 424
Just got my V5 today.So much better than the AK amp,albeit not as neat a fit.
What to do with my V4 and V3?

Indeed!  Sadly Neco's resale value on this site is not equivalent with how good the amps are.  The V4 especially with virtual ground update is still an excellent amp but it's not a V5.
Oh well!  It must sound extremely fine with those phones.  I love it on my Slants.  Takes them to new levels.  

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #374 of 424
V5 ordered, fellas.

tongue_smile.gif

tongue_smile.gif

tongue_smile.gif

Been awhile since I've wanted (or needed) a solid state amp.. especially a portable one.  The Leckerton UHA-6S MKII (ADA4627B opamps), Meier Audio QuickStep, and the Neco V4 (ADA4627B opamps) were my faves.. and since owning those, little (if anything), has interested me (they're that good).  The last (dedicated) ss amp I had was a Cavalli Liquid Carbon (from the original run).  It was a really nice amp (when run in balanced mode) but, to my ears, it lacked some resolution.  My current portable DAC/amp duties fall to the LHLabs Geek Out V2+ Infinity.  It's frighteningly good (when run balanced), but I'll switch it to exclusive DAC duty when the V5 arrives.  I'm quite excited to hear Neco's latest project.. will report back, of course.

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #375 of 424
  V5 ordered, fellas.

tongue_smile.gif

tongue_smile.gif

tongue_smile.gif

Been awhile since I've wanted (or needed) a solid state amp.. especially a portable one.  The Leckerton UHA-6S MKII (ADA4627B opamps), Meier Audio QuickStep, and the Neco V4 (ADA4627B opamps) were my faves.. and since owning those, little (if anything), has interested me (they're that good).  The last (dedicated) ss amp I had was a Cavalli Liquid Carbon (from the original run).  It was a really nice amp (when run in balanced mode) but, to my ears, it lacked some resolution.  My current portable DAC/amp duties fall to the LHLabs Geek Out V2+ Infinity.  It's frighteningly good (when run balanced), but I'll switch it to exclusive DAC duty when the V5 arrives.  I'm quite excited to hear Neco's latest project.. will report back, of course.

Looking forward to your impressions Flysweep!  Mine just continues to improve with each upgrade I do in front of it!  The new w4s recovery reclocker made a huge difference and my extreme short usb cables to and from it made with Zenwave/Neotech silver gold wire. 11 inch diy usb cable from dac to recovery and an approximately 2 inch one from the reclocker to the dsd micro dac. Still burning in but make the difference between the V5 and the V4.1 even more apparent.

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back