NBA Playoffs!
Apr 21, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #77 of 827
I think theThunder are in the Nuggets' head now with the four straight I saw a lot of dipped heads and drawn shoulders from the Nuggets. Hopefully for them, home cooking will right the ship. 

The Lakers shouldn't lose another game against the Hornets, Should they, I'll chalk it up to nothing more than apathy. Even the mighty CP3 can't offset the size mismatch inside. San Antone on the other hand...that series is juicy! It was a war last night. 

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #78 of 827
Lakers defense showed up last night.  Bynum is a monster.  Wow, when they can win with Kobe as their fourth leading scorer....  And if Gasol finally decides to wake up, watch out.

Memphis is giving SA all they can handle.  I dunno, could they have a chance in this series??

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #79 of 827
I would give them a lot more than New Orleans. Memphis is tough. They have Randolph and Gasol down low, plus gritty wings in Allen and Battier. To me, the Spurs will win because of experience, and that they play so well together. Buttttttttttt, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised, should it go the other way. 

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #80 of 827

Quote:
Lakers defense showed up last night.  Bynum is a monster.  Wow, when they can win with Kobe as their fourth leading scorer....  And if Gasol finally decides to wake up, watch out.

Hopefully (for Laker fans) Gasol is pacing himself for a long championship run, don't want to peak too early y'know. But is it just me or does he somehow seem unhappy in his role? Maybe he is just an unhappy guy.

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #81 of 827
Gasol's getting crap from all sides for his level of play, I'd be unhappy too. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #82 of 827
The spurs probably have a team of geriatricians on speed dial. However, I do agree that their experience gets them to the next round.

Would not be surprised at all if Portland/Dallas goes to 7.

Apr 22, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #83 of 827
It looks like there are 4 or 6 teams older than the Spurs in the playoffs ATM, depending upon whether the criteria is age in years or actual minutes played:

It's hard to make out, so here's the link.

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #84 of 827
Remember, Parker is "only" 29 or something, McDyess, Ginobili and Duncan really are the only "geriatric" ones in the rotation. And while Manu is old for a guard, he doesn't have the same mileage as some of those his age; thanks to his injuries (which are mostly ankle related). Duncan on the other hand, never really relied on athleticism.

I'm kinda worried why the heck Chicago can't dominate Indy the way we expected them. No, it's not necessarily a bad thing (more exciting finishes!), but it has to be a concern for Bulls fans there, right?

Apr 22, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #85 of 827
^ Indeed those finishes have been exciting, but do you feel the outcome has almost seemed inevitable? The Bulls have Rose. He is going to make a play. While in the waning moments, the Pacers are going to flail about like a carp on the deck of fishing boat. Everyone knows I love to call out floppers, and this Hansbrough kid has potential. He caught more phantom elbows than a FIFA star last night. 

I am curious about the Bulls as well but not worried for them yet. They defend and attack the hole; good traits for the playoffs. 

My take is that the Spurs' main problem is with who has become older, and that is Timmy D. As a result ,San Antone has become a drive and dish team, even more dependent on team defense.  Thusly, the Griz have matched up well with Randolph and Gasol and their long wings. Remember while tough, Blair is all of 6' 7". Bonner is a drift 3 shooting big man, not a low post defensive presence. Now that I think about it, the Spurs earned a tough draw if the seeds hold up. Get past big and physical Memphis, they get tall and long OKC. Earn that stripe, then its the Lakers' twin towers for a reward! Woah daddy. 

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #87 of 827

Quote:
^ Indeed those finishes have been exciting, but do you feel the outcome has almost seemed inevitable? The Bulls have Rose. He is going to make a play. While in the waning moments, the Pacers are going to flail about like a carp on the deck of fishing boat. Everyone knows I love to call out floppers, and this Hansbrough kid has potential. He caught more phantom elbows than a FIFA star last night. 

I am curious about the Bulls as well but not worried for them yet. They defend and attack the hole; good traits for the playoffs. 

My take is that the Spurs' main problem is with who has become older, and that is Timmy D. As a result ,San Antone has become a drive and dish team, even more dependent on team defense.  Thusly, the Griz have matched up well with Randolph and Gasol and their long wings. Remember while tough, Blair is all of 6' 7". Bonner is a drift 3 shooting big man, not a low post defensive presence. Now that I think about it, the Spurs earned a tough draw if the seeds hold up. Get past big and physical Memphis, they get tall and long OKC. Earn that stripe, then its the Lakers' twin towers for a reward! Woah daddy. 

Haha great analogies in that first line, classic virometal. But the part that I bolded, this plays right into the Spur's hands this year. The reason they have the best record in the West this year is because of their ability to go small and quick and sink a lot of treys. This is very different than the Spurs teams we have seen win recent championships but it's working for them so far.

Apr 22, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #88 of 827
So the Spurs would rather play the Griz and Thunder over the Hornets and Mavs. This is the Hornets whom lost David West  for the year with CP3 on bad knees; Dallas whom is one of the few teams older than the Spurs themselves.  Memphis even tanked to take on San Antone. That's how much they think the Spurs have them right where they want them. The Thunder I'll give you, although the Spurs' three wins were against a Perkins'less OKC. The Perkins edition has the second best league record since March 1st and is currently up 2-0 on the small ball Nuggs.  

I say to the Western finals, and it won't be easy. How far do you have them?

Apr 22, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #89 of 827
I always root against the Spurs as a Lakers fan but they are well-coached and a class act so they have my respect. They seem to be able to use their quickness pretty well against the longer teams around the perimeter this year, are well-disiplined on D and most importantly they make a lot of 3-point baskets from out there. Having said that that the Thunder can be scary good, and they are my dark horse to take the West. It should be a great matchup if it goes that way and I think it will.

The Duncan-Perkins matchup will be especially interesting around the hoop; my guess is that Duncan will try to draw Perkins outside so he can dish to his slashers, and Perkins will try to up his offensive output to keep big Tim busy down low. The Spurs' D should be able to somewhat contain the Thunder's transition game, and they run a good half-court offense so if they can keep the pace reasonable anything can happen. It will be playoff experience vs. youthful exuberance, we will see who wants it the most...

Apr 22, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #90 of 827

Quote:

^^ My main concern is really just that if Chicago can't get it done early against the Pacers, what happens against Miami/Boston/Orlando/Atlanta? I admire Derrick Rose and I'm on the Rose MVP Bandwagon, but even MJ had clunkers in crunch time, what more Rose? (this is the part where you all bring torches and pitchforks and try to burn me down).

Quote:
I say to the Western finals, and it won't be easy. How far do you have them?

^^ Are you talking about the Spurs or OKC? I got the Spurs to the Western Finals, but only because I think Manu and TP are playing out of their minds, and Timmy D has this weird aura about him that even though we all know he's just about washed up, we still think he can drop 40-20 on any given day (and I do believe that too). But don't let that mean that it's an easy matchup. I only picked the Spurs over OKC only because, well, they're the Spurs, and we just can't take them out of the picture unless one of TP, TD or Manu is seriously hurt. Every year. Every darn year.

BTW, I'm watching Game 3 of the BOS-NYK matchup. Goodness, Mike D'Antoni is just an awful coach. His Knicks stint exposed him as a Steve Nash coattail rider. Badly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back