Narmoo! What is that? NEW iem from New company the RIM.
Feb 21, 2014 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

Dsnuts

Headphoneus Supremus
Firstly let me introduce you guys to a new iem brand called Narmoos. More info can be found here. 

RIM
10mm
98db/1mW
10Hz-20Khz
16 Ohm impedance
3X bass tuning buttons.

Many of you guys might recognize this particular design and it has always intrigued me that earphones can be tuned with screw on caps that either enhance the bass or lowers the bass end to ones own preference.. Previous efforts from other companies have had some mixed results with their efforts but these.. These are new to the earphone realm. So how they do?. I was contacted by Eric at Narmoo and he was excited to see how I liked their newest and only offering..With more earphones for this start up company in the future I was eager to try these out.

I gave them a good 50 plus hours of burn in and I will get to how they sounded and what burn in has done for the sound later but for now. What you guys are seeing is an earphone based on a philosophy that is near and dear to my own beliefs..Value for your money is truly what you get with the RIM. Most earphones offer the basics. Tips of various sizes and if your lucky one that works with your smartphone have a good build or better yet provided a nice case..

What you see in the picture above is what you get in the package.. One of the nicest cases for earphones if not the nicest I have seen on any set. Including my $350 Sony XBA-H3..The RHA750 comes close but this case these earphones came in is the best quality I have ever seen for a pack in case.Inside are these earphones tuning screws and the different sized tips. The tips are nothing to write home about they are the standard fair and do their job but what makes these earphones worth writing about is how much they cost and what you end up getting. So without further ado.. Introducing RIM from Narmoo. Once you all get to the bottom of this review there will be a special announcement from Eric I believe.

BUILD....
So the build quality of these phones are excellent..I have not seen phones in the $100s that have the solid build quality or the isolation of these earphones. They do have microphonics but worn over the ear microphonics are at a minimum..These are exactly the type of iems you can use on your busy commutes or even while working out. I have no doubts these can take years of use.. I treat all my earphones like they are all $300 phones so I have no issues with the longevity of any phone I own but I know many of you guys use your phones to the point of breaking them. I have no doubts these can take everyday use including on your smart phones as they have a built in mic..

SOUND....
You guys might know of the older Hippo Vb or the Xeport 5010. Which has the exact same form factor of the RIM and while initially I thought these RIMs might be a rebrand.. I do believe these are an evolution of the screw in bass form factor.. I owned the Xeport a while back and it was the 5010 that had the best overall sound from recollection but I ended up selling them to a friend.. These are a new version of that same tuning..First let me get to the foundation of the sound that is on these RIMs.

These have a wide large balanced sound presentation and with a turn of the screw in bass ports you get varying levels of bass for this large presentation. Silvers bass light to the Blacks being bass heavy. On open box listen the sound was not as tight as I would have liked and brought back memories of why I ended up selling off my Xeports but with 3 days of burn in the overall sound has tightened..Treble grain was evident on open listen and now it has dissipated. Bass end has tightened.. From memory the Xeports were a bit too bass heavy even when using the bass light screw. And what probably did them in for me was that the overall quality of the screw on interface had some really bad QC issues..I ended up stripping several of the screws and had to get new ones..In any case. The sound was good and had much potential but it was quickly passed by with other more exciting offers from other manufacturers.

RIMs are a revision of that sound an form factor. While the sound tuning is very similar. The RIMs tuning actually works.. Bass on the black screws have what I perceive as 6-8dbs of bass both mid to sub bass frequencies. The bass or the complete sound presentation is not as clean sounding using the black screws but it is cool the option is there when needed. Guys that want their music with a full blown bass will enjoy the bass end of these. The bass is strong. Bass head levels actually and while not the most refined bass of higher end in ears does a great job with bass heavy genres.. Outstanding for Hiphop and edm on the black screws. The Silver screws ultimately is what I enjoy which gives a more closer to a neutral bass presence.. The bass is still boosted but is around 3-4dbs in bass.. While the grey screws are at around 5-6dbs.. 

The silver screws give a nice balanced presentation that does not color the bass end as much and genres requiring more detail the silver screws give the best performance there..Tonality is a touch on the warm side of sound and is a non fatiguing presentation. Mids are relatively grain free but does exhibit some grain in the upper treble region..Again burn in has helped tremendously to tightened up the sound overall making the bass screws much more effective..

The bass end is tremendous..Bass lovers will definitely enjoy these..Even with the lightest bass screws there is solid bass presence. So I suppose these would not be for the guys that want no part of any type of low note but I find the silver screws to do an excellent job of keeping the lower mid range bass free. The Greys work well when out and about as they add a more fuller low end to the sound that is welcomed during busy commutes that helps out block out outside noise..The blacks? You a basshead?..Try them out.

The mids of the phones are actually the strong suit of these earphones..A touch mid forward sounding, Vocals and instruments have a nice even presentation. A big full mid section that come correct. Guys that enjoy their vocals male and female will be surprised with the fullness of vocals and enveloping mid range..The mids could use more definition and better instrument separation with more depth in sound but for what is on there the sound is very satisfactory.

Treble tuning is done on the safe side. These have proper treble presence that don't offend with its relatively sibilant free tuning.. Treble definition and sparkle is ample and while microdetailing is not it's strong suit.It could use a touch more treble extension and depth here as well but for what is there. These earphones were made for enjoying your music more than picking off details of orchestras and live shows..Actually there are only a handful of earphones I consider it's equal for the given price of the RIM...Perfect for that daily commute as they isolate very well while giving you that full range large sound..I do believe for a first time effort..Narmoo has created a very competitive product..

CONCLUSION....
It is interesting to me that one can take some screws and just throw them on for more bass or less depending on your mood. I know on these threads many guys complain how a phone has too much or too little..While these are not without any bass even on the lightest setting,  what makes these interesting is that they will suit more guys in how they prefer their bass presence over most iems with a simple adjustment.. Bass is not only what these earphones offer. Their full enveloping mid range lets you enjoy your vocals and instruments in full frontal glory all done with a large stage. A very satisfactory sound overall. The strong build, great isolation a solid sounding phone and all presented with one of the best earphone cases I have ever seen.  The sound kicks above the price for listen with ease. Yet another compelling new product from a new company. Now here is the kicker. These cost $30 new on amazon.com and I do believe Eric @ narmoo has a special announcement for all headfiers.  Subscribe and find out..

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 76
Nice review Dsnuts!!

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 76
That case looks nice! Used to really like the Xeport they were fun and an easy listen, comfy fit, with a fairly big sound. Always a place for a cheap tunable phone esp. if it is bang-for-the-buck.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 76
The funny thing is Eric @ Narmoo has no idea I just posted this. He mentioned to me a "deal" for all headfiers..So stay "tuned"..Ya ha. I made joke..

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 76
  That case looks nice! Used to really like the Xeport they were fun and an easy listen, comfy fit, with a fairly big sound. Always a place for a cheap tunable phone esp. if it is bang-for-the-buck.

I got rid of my Xeports a long time ago but from memory these definitely has a tighter sound over the Xeports. The build is actually is a higher quality as well. I hated the screw port of the Xeports. I have no issues swapping out the screws of these at all and from memory the screws of the Xeports never really amounted to much..All of them sounded bassy when I had them.

The RIM after burn in you can clearly tell the difference with the different screws.. They do have a similar sound to the Xeports but I do like these much better.

The case is freaking awesome. It is a harder shell instead of the soft stuff you get from other manufacturers.. I like it a lot. It is so roomy I can carry a small player and a few earphones with all the tips in there. I bet the case itself is worth half of the price payed to hear these. Lol.

Pic of the large and in charge case.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 76
Excellent review D's! Thanks for sharing. I've always been fascinated with tunable IEMs and this seems like a winner. How is it compared to the MH1 in terms of details and extension?

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 76
This sounds amazing. One thing I remember about the vb's is that I found the mids good but really dry. Is this the same at all or is it a bit more lush with the warmth? Thanks for introducing these!

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 76
Excellent review D's! Thanks for sharing. I've always been fascinated with tunable IEMs and this seems like a winner. How is it compared to the MH1 in terms of details and extension?

Thanks fellas. As you guys know the MH1C is more of a bigger bass end over the mids and treble. I think the MH1 properly amped sound their best and can hang with much more expensive in ears. These RIMs have a big full sound without the need for an amp. With an amp they scale accordingly. Sounds tighter and cleaner..I will do a proper AB of some other phones real soon but from memory. Bass extension is similar on both but the RIM using the black screws are definitely basshead worthy. It is big full brawny bass and actually does a pretty good job of maintaining sound integrity..Treble extension I would say these have a touch more sparkle to the treble but the MH1C are more refined in treble..  The main difference is the scope of sound of these RIMs is bigger fuller and a more even presentation. The MH1s mids and highs can sound somewhat compressed with the bass end that sound bigger, but there is none of that happening on the RIM  The bass can be bigger than the MH1s with the black screws and lesser with the silver. I would say the grey comes the closest to the level of bass that is on the MH1. I wouldn't call the mids dry on these there is a warmth to the sound I wouldn't say it is a lush sound either. Relatively smooth the mids are actually done well on these.

Interesting. Nice write up as always.

This sounds amazing. One thing I remember about the vb's is that I found the mids good but really dry. Is this the same at all or is it a bit more lush with the warmth? Thanks for introducing these!

I wouldn't call them dry.. I think the mids and overall sound for being a larger sounding in ear need more depth which helps in the lushness factor. The sound is more wide than deep..Which might give a feeling of dryness but also keeps the overall sound front and center. Smoothness is a part of the sound on the mids but is lacking just short of being lush. The treble and the upper mids area for the most part does not influence the overall tone to the sound so this leads to the warmer tonality more so than having a large bass end so it is more of a natural warmness in tone vs a bass emphasis warmness..The warmness is only slightly so and not overly done...Tonality is actually done very well on these.  Treble presence does not lack for highs but to really stand out these could use a bit more extension and definition in the highs.  This is the type of sound that you can just grab and listen to in a pinch. .Easy on the ears and can be down right fun for bass fans.

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #15 of 76
Thanks D's! Sounds to me they have similarities with the carbo Basso...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back