name me some good DACs for DVD-A
Sep 7, 2006 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

rodentmacbeastie

500+ Head-Fier
On my quest for a new source, I have distanced myself from the 98% certainty of my previous plans! I was all but 100% on buying the Opera Droplet CDP5.0 until I had a listen to m SACDs again on a friends player(I am without SACD), he played me some DVD-A and I was impressed! All of those DVD-A sounded at least as good as the SACD and the option of outboard DAC turns me on.

Please help me on my quest. What are the best DACs in the $500 to $1500 range that can handle a DVD-A signal? I would also like tubes in there as well, but not neccessary.

To clarify, here are the other ideas.

1)Droplet 5.0CDP (I love this thing but it limits me to Redbook. It has a good volume control to use as preamp or cans direct to XLR)
2)Modded Oppo universal, Storm D01. (the modded Oppo is supposed to sound better than the high end stock Marantz players. This theoretically gives me rockin' Redbook through the Storm, and SACD and DVD-A from the Oppo. Also the ability to convert other signals)
3)Oppo with digital only mods, (insert name here) external DAC. (Presumably DVD-A with a good DAC should sound better than almost any Redbook at any price. Can connect other sources to DAC)

Bonus points are given to the DAC with remote, high quality volume control, tubes, balanced outs, I2S input, free...

Sep 7, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie
Easy, take almost any universal player and use the digital out!

You can get a digital undecoded DVD-A stream through any universal player's output?
blink.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 15
Simply put:

Great DVD-A player -> phenom analog cables -> Amazing ADC device -> Monster Brand Digital Coax!!! -> Amazing 24/96 24/192 DAC -> Superbly Amazing Ultralicious analog cables -> Bithead -> SR60's

Problem solved

Sep 7, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by InSides
You can get a digital undecoded DVD-A stream through any universal player's output?
blink.gif

I do not know about any, but many do it limited to 24/96 do to liscencing contract.

Sep 7, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Here's a more interesting challenge - identify a DVD-A transport.

Best regards,

-Jason

That's easy. Esoteric P-03 Universal.

Sep 7, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
That's easy. Esoteric P-03 Universal.

They make a universal? For some reason I thought they only did SACD...

Best,

-Jason

Sep 7, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

They make a universal? For some reason I thought they only did SACD...

Best,

-Jason

There is the P-03 and P-03 Universal. I went with the P-03 b/c it is supposedly better for pure Redbook and SACD playback. The Universal is slightly more expensive, but you do get video as well. I just stick with the Denon 5910ci for video and DVD-A needs.

Sep 7, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
There is the P-03 and P-03 Universal. I went with the P-03 b/c it is supposedly better for pure Redbook and SACD playback. The Universal is slightly more expensive, but you do get video as well. I just stick with the Denon 5910ci for video and DVD-A needs.

Ah, I see. Cool, I just looked up the Universal. I'm guessing with the DSD conversion you would use the iLink digital jacks to get the signal out to the DAC.

But then (back on my harping on the practical impossibility of doing what the original poster is intending) you would need a SACD DAC. Not a DVD-A one.
wink.gif

Damn though. I'm gonna hog quite a bit of time on your source at the national meet. That is one cool piece of kit.

Best,

-Jason

Sep 7, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Ah, I see. Cool, I just looked up the Universal. I'm guessing with the DSD conversion you would use the iLink digital jacks to get the signal out to the DAC.

But then (back on my harping on the practical impossibility of doing what the original poster is intending) you would need a SACD DAC. Not a DVD-A one.
wink.gif

Damn though. I'm gonna hog quite a bit of time on your source at the national meet. That is one cool piece of kit.

Best,

-Jason

You can use the D-03 SACD DAC for Redbook and SACD. It can be hooked up to the P-03 via dual AES or iLink and wordsynch.

Sep 7, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
Technically you could also rip the DVD-A's to your computer and then use the digital output on your computer.

I don't know if times have changed, but I believe there had been only one commercially produced soundcard would actually output a high rez DVD-A signal? And that was only for non-protected DVD-A (of which all of mine aren't...)

I guess you could rip and probably remove the protection somehow, though I don't know anyone who's been successful at doing this...

Best,

-Jason

Sep 8, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #14 of 15
One of the problems is that it is up to the DVD-A record label if the quality of the digital output is good or not. Case in point Santana - Sharman resamples the output to 48khz. There is no stopping this. Any manufacturer who bypasses this option is in breach of their licence of the technology. It is a countermeasure against piracy, or at least that is what they claim.

Any good standard redbook dac that can accept 96 or 192khz inputs too will decode DVD-As, but only those that will allow you to play them in their high-res glory.

If you really want the best from DVD-A or SACD then you're pretty much limited to Standalone players or players with proprietry interfaces (Teac units, or Denon link units etc).

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #15 of 15
My headphone system is Oppo 970 with DAC1794(Amazing sound, From Taiwan. I know Some Head fier have them.)

Oppo 970 can play SACD and DVD-A, but DVD-A has better performence that I've try.

I think the problem is oppo didn't have any higher grade DSD decoder chip inside. Maybe?

I still find the way to mod. my oppo into a higher performence uni. player , but that's a long way to go.
mad.gif

Edit: $500~1500, maybe contact RAM. Maybe they have some demo player can try? Full modded and you don't need a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back