Naim Audio Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
May 25, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #16 of 710
Do it. It's not going to be as good at detail retrieval, nor as wide in soundstage as your TT2/Mscaler but for musicality, it's perfectly acceptable.

And perfectly acceptable for most of us means it's actually damned good. I haven't noticed any glaring faults in the 1-2 hours I've listened to it. Early impressions. But first impressions are positive so are unlikely to change.
Yeah, I got it as a secondary system to complement my high-end TT2/mScaler system.

Jun 1, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #17 of 710
Yeah, I got it as a secondary system to complement my high-end TT2/mScaler system.

My unit should be hear today. I’ll be comparing it against the Focal Arche, which is a very enjoyable headphone amp. I downgraded from the Chord Dave/mscaler and found myself looking more for musical enjoyment, than the last bit of resolution. Chasing resolution did not lead to more enjoyment.

What I like about this setup is there is nothing to fuss about. I don’t have to worry about usb cables, interconnect cables, streamers, dac. It’s all in there. I also realized Chord Dave/mscaler was beyond my budget and couldn’t feel comfortable keeping it. If I was ok with that kind of budget, maybe I’d look at the Bartok and Mola Mola dac. But think I should be pretty happy if the Naim, if it’s as good as everyone says. Plus I found adding Danacable Reference Lazuli made a bigger difference to the sound of my Focal Utopia’s than the Dave to the Focal Arche.

Jun 5, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #19 of 710
Jun 6, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #20 of 710
@iamoneagain - interested in your impressions with some more time on the unit :)

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #21 of 710
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #22 of 710
@iamoneagain - interested in your impressions with some more time on the unit :)
Too many threads on the Naim HE and I figured that I would probably just ask here. :) Do you find the Naim HE working well with IEMs, especially with Traillii? Thanks!

Jun 17, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #23 of 710
Too many threads on the Naim HE and I figured that I would probably just ask here. :) Do you find the Naim HE working well with IEMs, especially with Traillii? Thanks!

I’ve only used it balanced with Focal Utopia’s. Only iem I have are some very old UE10’s I could try. I remember they sounded horrible with the Hugo 2 and don’t think I ever gave them a shot with the Dave. Had no need to use iems at home.

And yes, there are too many threads. In other forums, they would have combined all these into one. Kind of mess here.

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #24 of 710
The output impendence was a tad high. The IEM cable is too short so I haven’t really plugged in IEM’s either. I can give it another go later today

Jun 17, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #25 of 710
So I just tried mine and it had zero hiss or background noise. Completely black. Volume control is very precise and didn’t increase too much with each step. It’s hard to say on the sound quality because I’m comparing to Focal Utopia’s and never was a big fan of my iem. Says they’re only 13.3 ohms with a 119db sensitivity. Not sure if that’s out of spec for what this amp is really supposed to drive.

Jun 17, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #26 of 710
Just tried mine briefly this morning before work.

No hiss/noise with the Trailii.

Great dynamics, dynamic control and power ; volume at about 30 to 35 was enough for me. It is a desktop amp. And a very capable one at that.

Close to neutral with a slight warmth. A hint of mid bass emphasis but still well controlled. Works well with say the Utopia. The Trailii doesn't really need it.
Treble extension could be better. I remember the delicate sparkle as more noticeable from the Chord and SP2K.

Only criticism compared to my other sources are likely related to the DAC. The Trailii is a busy IEM with it's multiple BA/EST so feels lush, full and rich. The soundstage from the Naim is narrower than my other sources and the separation/layering/air between the notes felt more congested. Made me think of oversampling (all the upsampling talk on the Chord threads). Especially noticeable on busy tracks e.g. Ronski, Lasting Light (2013 album remix). I had been listening to the HD800S all of last night so that could also subliminally affect my impressions.

I could plug the Chord TT2 into the Naim HE but that defeats the purpose of the all-in-one so I've never done it.

Take into account that the Naim HE retails at $3290US. A Chord Hugo2/2Go +/- Cayin C9 or a Chord TT2 all retail for more. **** I've just realised it's cheaper than even the SP2000. So take that into context with my comparisons.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #27 of 710
Thanks so much everyone! Really appreciate all the input.

Jun 17, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #28 of 710
Just tried mine briefly this morning before work.

No hiss/noise with the Trailii.

Great dynamics, dynamic control and power ; volume at about 30 to 35 was enough for me. It is a desktop amp. And a very capable one at that.

Close to neutral with a slight warmth. A hint of mid bass emphasis but still well controlled. Works well with say the Utopia. The Trailii doesn't really need it.
Treble extension could be better. I remember the delicate sparkle as more noticeable from the Chord and SP2K.

Only criticism compared to my other sources are likely related to the DAC. The Trailii is a busy IEM with it's multiple BA/EST so feels lush, full and rich. The soundstage from the Naim is narrower than my other sources and the separation/layering/air between the notes felt more congested. Made me think of oversampling (all the upsampling talk on the Chord threads). Especially noticeable on busy tracks e.g. Ronski, Lasting Light (2013 album remix). I had been listening to the HD800S all of last night so that could also subliminally affect my impressions.

I could plug the Chord TT2 into the Naim HE but that defeats the purpose of the all-in-one so I've never done it.

Take into account that the Naim HE retails at $3290US. A Chord Hugo2/2Go +/- Cayin C9 or a Chord TT2 all retail for more. **** I've just realised it's cheaper than even the SP2000. So take that into context with my comparisons.
Use with the Chord on the Naim would definitely defeat the purpose because the Naim actually converts the analog to digital first. It doesn’t just pass it through like the Focal Arche.

The sound of the HE is interesting. It doesn’t have as much space or air as the Chord dacs but what you’ll notice is you stop trying to analyze the music. The bass and mids are it’s strong suite. It also has really good texture to the music as well. This presentation works well with the Utopia’s because they can seem bright or too thin on other setups.

Jun 17, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #29 of 710
I just tried some upsampling using roon’s 4 different filters and I didn’t like as much as feeding the original file. It gave it more space but loses some of the weight and the nice bouncy rhythm. Once you get used the Naim sound signature, it’s kind of addictive.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #30 of 710
Just placed the order. Excited to try it out with my D8000 pro and various IEMs! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back