NAD VISO HP50 vs Audio Technica HTM 50x's?
Jul 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

BarbecueGamer

100+ Head-Fier
HP50 are $300, and HTM 50's are $170. Plain & simple, which one is better? In all area's, highs, mids, and lows. I honestly find it shocking that two top people who reviewed BOTH these headphones on YouTube. Say that the Audio Technica HTM 50x sound better! How is this possible!? I've heard literally nothing about good things for the HP50's sound, literally nothing! Reviewers couldn't come up with a negative for the sound. But for the M50's, they could! They said the M50's sound quality is quite good, but somewhat uneven. And that the mid-range is slightly withdrawn making these cans sound just slightly hard. So why are these same people who reviewed both headphones, that couldn't come up with a negative for the HP50's, but could for the M50's. But say that the M50's sound better! I just don't get it? It can't be true. If so, then wow! Someone name me one headphone that is undeniably better than the M50's without being twice it's price. I mean my gosh, people say the M50's are overrated. But man, if this is true. Then no there not! 

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 24
The M50's are bass>treble>mids... closed in, but pretty dang good nonetheless.
The HP50's are mids>bass>treble... more open, and more relaxed... better detail and dynamics too... plus the tonality is much much much better.

For quiet listening or more modern genres that are asking for a bit more thumping bass, the M50's could come out ahead, but I'd pay for the HP50 every time. If I ever wanted closed cans (even regardless of price), those would be in my shortlist.

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 24
I actually just got a reply on YouTube from the guy who has and reviewed both headphones. TheGamingAudiophile, and he replied with this exactly- "Honestly, they sound relatively similar with the M50 having more subbass and treble presence. The HP50 has the bigger soundstage and slightly more detailed sound. For the value alone, the M50 wins, but you can't go wrong with either." 

I just don't understand, if it's only advantages are a bigger soundstage, and "slightly" more detailed sound. Then is it even worth it? I mean man! All I'm looking for hear is a pair of headphones that has all of the pros of the M50's, so does what the M50's do, but better. But apparently that headphone doesn't even exist. I've looked high and low, but no luck. I want a pair of headphones that has better highs than the M50's, better mids than the M50's, and better lows than the M50's. With still being well balanced like the M50's. Like I said, this headphone must not exist. There's so called *better headphones out there, but never undeniably better. You can only find headphones that are better in some area's, but worse in other's. Man, I'm getting really tired of this. So much so that I'm considering not even getting a pair of high grade headphones anymore. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 24
Well, to each his own. This is a highly subjective hobby... and M50's do what most people want: a noticeable increase in detail over what most are used to; extended bass with a fun emphasis; quicker treble; and mids that have no noticeable flaws. For a first can, they're a great starting place. As far as what is a good upgrade to the M50's... I'd say trying open cans would be a good start, or something like the closed Fostex TH-600's which have a similar V-shape but with a very noticeable leap in openness and detail. My advice is to just listen to as many as possible, and be honest with yourself. I love my LCD-2's, but they don't stop me from enjoying my Q701's at just 10-15% of the cost. Diminishing returns are very real, and not everybody expects the same thing from headphones. Don't spend money just 'because', unless you really are happy.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 24
  I actually just got a reply on YouTube from the guy who has and reviewed both headphones. TheGamingAudiophile, and he replied with this exactly- "Honestly, they sound relatively similar with the M50 having more subbass and treble presence. The HP50 has the bigger soundstage and slightly more detailed sound. For the value alone, the M50 wins, but you can't go wrong with either." 

I just don't understand, if it's only advantages are a bigger soundstage, and "slightly" more detailed sound. Then is it even worth it? I mean man! All I'm looking for hear is a pair of headphones that has all of the pros of the M50's, so does what the M50's do, but better. But apparently that headphone doesn't even exist. I've looked high and low, but no luck. I want a pair of headphones that has better highs than the M50's, better mids than the M50's, and better lows than the M50's. With still being well balanced like the M50's. Like I said, this headphone must not exist. There's so called *better headphones out there, but never undeniably better. You can only find headphones that are better in some area's, but worse in other's. Man, I'm getting really tired of this. So much so that I'm considering not even getting a pair of high grade headphones anymore. 

Uhh, assuming we're still talking about the NAD VISO HP50 and not some other HP50, if what my friend @BillsonChang007 says is true, then TheGamingAudiophile probably has no idea what he's talking about. Billson Chang told me that they have a very balanced and mid-focused sound -- something the M50 clearly isn't. Oh yeah, news flash -- the M50 isn't balanced. Not even close. Also, the HP50 wins hands-down in detail retrieval against the M50s. Honestly, I think you should stick to Head-Fi and ask people who do know what they're talking about.

I see you're a very new Head-Fi'er as you seem to not be able to understand diminishing returns yet. In other words, as headphones get pricier, the improvements get smaller and smaller, making them less worth it. A lot of headphones may be "slightly" better than others, but there are some headphones that are a huge contrast to what you're used to hearing, for better or worse. Different headphones were made with different purposes -- that's why there are so many headphones around today.

But really, if you're looking for something that does the M50 but better, there are tons of choices out there that do that and more. Come out of your pessimistic rant and take a look at the sea of heapdhones you could choose over some lousy M50s. Philips Fidelio X1. Beyerdynamid DT660. Yamaha Pro 500. If you wanna go really high, Audeze LCD-XC.

If you want a great pair of headphones, then Head-Fi's the place for you. But stop moping and start looking. Happy hunting. 
wink.gif

-- thatBeatsguy

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 24
I just wanted to say your comment really enlightened me. And yes, you are indeed correct. I'm a very new Head-Fi'er. I'm also not an audiophile by any means. So I'm not exactly well educated with all this stuff. Even though I try to be. In essence, I'm just an average guy looking for an awesome pair of headphones. I have never owned a pair of high quality headphones in my entire life. The best I've received is a pair of apple buds I got with my iPhone. I absolutely love music, so I knew I wanted better for myself. So I set out to find a pair of cans, something amazing, breathtaking. Where every song I listen to is like an absolute dream. As if the artist is singing right besides you. Just a straight up orgasm to your ears. I'm going to take your advice and stop moping around. I think I was just getting to greedy for my own good. I've decided I'm going to take the dive and invest in the NAD VISO HP50. I doubt I'll be disappointed. And hey, by the slim chance that I am. I can just return it. I'll let you know how it turns out. I don't quite have the money saved up yet. But I suspect I'll have the headphones in roughly 4 weeks from today. 

Well, thank you so much thatBeatsguy for all your help! I very much appreciate it. If there's anything I can do to return the favor please let me know. 

Oh, one more quick thing. It sounded like your friend possibly owned a pair of HP50. If so, could you please ask him really quick what amp he would recommend for the headphones. Unless of course you could just answer that question for me. I've been thinking about getting the Objective2 amp. What are your thought's on it? I don't have a whole lot to spend on an amp. So that one seems to be perfect for me. And I hear it beats out amps way more expensive than it. Also, will that amp improve the sound quality at all? I know, here's my lack of knowledge showing again. And how does it compare to the Apogee One amp? If you don't know then that's fine. I was just curious to know because John from Tldtoday paired up that amp with the Audio Technica HTM 50's and he said it was quote on quote "an eargasm". Once again, thank you so much for all your help! I really do appreciate it! I mean it, if there's anything I can do to return the favor let me know. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 24
  I just wanted to say your comment really enlightened me. And yes, you are indeed correct. I'm a very new Head-Fi'er. I'm also not an audiophile by any means. So I'm not exactly well educated with all this stuff. Even though I try to be. In essence, I'm just an average guy looking for an awesome pair of headphones. I have never owned a pair of high quality headphones in my entire life. The best I've received is a pair of apple buds I got with my iPhone. I absolutely love music, so I knew I wanted better for myself. So I set out to find a pair of cans, something amazing, breathtaking. Where every song I listen to is like an absolute dream. As if the artist is singing right besides you. Just a straight up orgasm to your ears. I'm going to take your advice and stop moping around. I think I was just getting to greedy for my own good. I've decided I'm going to take the dive and invest in the NAD VISO HP50. I doubt I'll be disappointed. And hey, by the slim chance that I am. I can just return it. I'll let you know how it turns out. I don't quite have the money saved up yet. But I suspect I'll have the headphones in roughly 4 weeks from today. 

Well, thank you so much thatBeatsguy for all your help! I very much appreciate it. If there's anything I can do to return the favor please let me know. 

Oh, one more quick thing. It sounded like your friend possibly owned a pair of HP50. If so, could you please ask him really quick what amp he would recommend for the headphones. Unless of course you could just answer that question for me. I've been thinking about getting the Objective2 amp. What are your thought's on it? I don't have a whole lot to spend on an amp. So that one seems to be perfect for me. And I hear it beats out amps way more expensive than it. Also, will that amp improve the sound quality at all? I know, here's my lack of knowledge showing again. And how does it compare to the Apogee One amp? If you don't know then that's fine. I was just curious to know because John from Tldtoday paired up that amp with the Audio Technica HTM 50's and he said it was quote on quote "an eargasm". Once again, thank you so much for all your help! I really do appreciate it! I mean it, if there's anything I can do to return the favor let me know. 

A good amp? Well, I'm not very experienced in the amp department, so I'll let my friend Billson take over. Good luck with your purchase!

-- thatBeatsguy

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 24
The HP50 is designed to play from low power portable audio devices.  An iPhone 4 should be fine.  If you have an iBasso DX-50--piece of cake.  Although an amp might provide some level of benefit, it should not be necessary from most devices. 

However, if you are using a computer with on-board audio (which is almost certainly crappy--even if it also powerful enough to drive your can), you will need to upgrade the DAC by way of a decent sound card (some of which include amps) or an external DAC or DAC/amp.

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 24

Many thanks ThatBeatsGuy! 

I have experienced both the HP50 and ATM-M50 myself and currently owned the HP50. Both have a very different signature. I can definitely see why the YouTube reviewer find the ATH-M50 to be more engaging although I disagree. Here's my short comparison between the HP50 and ATH-M50 [individually done as well]

Audio Technica ATH-M50:
I personally am not a fan of this headphone. Indeed, it is a great pair of headphone 2 to 3 years ago, but given that there are so many audio brand releasing better headphone at a similar price, it is no longer on my top list. Anyway. The bass on the ATH-M50 extends deep, but it lacks the control that the UE6000 offers. ATH-M50's bass sound bloated and boomy. It bleeds to the recessed midrange. If anything, I find the treble on the ATH-M50 to be hot and I find it a fatigue to listen to at times. The lack of soundstage is also my concern with the ATH-M50. If anything, I would rather go for the UE6000 which is now discontinued but still can be found online easily for less than $100. The only thing I adore about the ATH-M50 is its ultra durability. The housings are mostly made of plastics but they are EXTREMELY durable. The pads can be a little stiff after some use. 

NAD VISO HP50:
I bought it used mainly because it is popularly mentioned here. I personally like my B&O H6 better for the H6 is more relaxed, better built, more comfortable and easily transportable. The HP50's bass goes deep down, all the way down. Very well controlled and unlike the ATH-M50'S V-shaped sound, the HP50 is pretty flat throughout. That said, the HP50's bass are not as powerful as the ATH-M50. The midrange is very natural, awesome dynamic. The highs are clean as well. No spikes as mentioned. The HP50 also offer impressive soundstage at $300, in a closed headphone. Its got the width right, but not the depth. The downside I find in the HP50 is that the lack of instrumental separation makes it not ideal for rock music. While the midrange is very natural, I do not find it as smooth as the B&O H6.

Personally, I find the HP 50 is a major upgrade over the ATH-M50. Both do not need an amplifier to power it as they are both extremely easy to "drive" The HP50 wins the ATH-M50 in:
- Wider soundstage
- Neutral and Natural
- Tight bass
- Dynamic
- Resolution
- Clarity
- Less Fatigue

but the HP50's build quality and comfort is a big drawback for me. I will am working on a full review for the HP50 so if you do not mind waiting until next week :)

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #13 of 24

Many thanks ThatBeatsGuy! 

I have experienced both the HP50 and ATM-M50 myself and currently owned the HP50. Both have a very different signature. I can definitely see why the YouTube reviewer find the ATH-M50 to be more engaging although I disagree. Here's my short comparison between the HP50 and ATH-M50 [individually done as well]

Audio Technica ATH-M50:
I personally am not a fan of this headphone. Indeed, it is a great pair of headphone 2 to 3 years ago, but given that there are so many audio brand releasing better headphone at a similar price, it is no longer on my top list. Anyway. The bass on the ATH-M50 extends deep, but it lacks the control that the UE6000 offers. ATH-M50's bass sound bloated and boomy. It bleeds to the recessed midrange. If anything, I find the treble on the ATH-M50 to be hot and I find it a fatigue to listen to at times. The lack of soundstage is also my concern with the ATH-M50. If anything, I would rather go for the UE6000 which is now discontinued but still can be found online easily for less than $100. The only thing I adore about the ATH-M50 is its ultra durability. The housings are mostly made of plastics but they are EXTREMELY durable. The pads can be a little stiff after some use. 

NAD VISO HP50:
I bought it used mainly because it is popularly mentioned here. I personally like my B&O H6 better for the H6 is more relaxed, better built, more comfortable and easily transportable. The HP50's bass goes deep down, all the way down. Very well controlled and unlike the ATH-M50'S V-shaped sound, the HP50 is pretty flat throughout. That said, the HP50's bass are not as powerful as the ATH-M50. The midrange is very natural, awesome dynamic. The highs are clean as well. No spikes as mentioned. The HP50 also offer impressive soundstage at $300, in a closed headphone. Its got the width right, but not the depth. The downside I find in the HP50 is that the lack of instrumental separation makes it not ideal for rock music. While the midrange is very natural, I do not find it as smooth as the B&O H6.

Personally, I find the HP 50 is a major upgrade over the ATH-M50. Both do not need an amplifier to power it as they are both extremely easy to "drive" The HP50 wins the ATH-M50 in:
- Wider soundstage
- Neutral and Natural
- Tight bass
- Dynamic
- Resolution
- Clarity
- Less Fatigue

but the HP50's build quality and comfort is a big drawback for me. I will am working on a full review for the HP50 so if you do not mind waiting until next week :)

Thanks for the insight as well, Billson! Those HP50s have gotten quite a lot of buzz around here lately, and I was just recently looking into them. Thanks!

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 24
Awesome, it's nice to hear from someone who owned both headphones. Thank you so much for the in depth analysis BillsonChang007. I'll most definitely check out your review of the headphones before I buy them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back