NAD Viso HP50 or Vmoda m100?
Apr 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

yopeople70

New Head-Fier
I am deciding between the NAD VISO HP50 and the V Moda m100. They both look really promising. I listen to mostly hard rock, symphonic metal, new age orchestral, and electronic dance and trance. I have medium size ears, but a pretty large head (I have to put a pair of bose oe2 on the largest setting to fit my head). Has anyone tried both of these headphones and prefer one over the other, or does it really just come down to what type of music you listen to? Also, I have a Fiio e6 portable amp. Would this help running it off of a phone?

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 14
The M100 is quite bass heavy, the HP50 is a bit bass heavy and the Momentum has a relatively neutral bass. Treble is a little low in level on the Momentum though, so it may sound a little boring/mellow. The HP50 has a bright, elevated treble, but not to the point of being overwhelming. Think about the 50s as having a smiley-face eq curve. While the M100s are superbly sturdy and good looking I think they're too far from neutral to the extent that you might get a headache after listening for an hour or so because of all the added bass. The momentum is less fatiguing, however my favorite of the three is the HP50.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 14
  The M100 is quite bass heavy, the HP50 is a bit bass heavy and the Momentum has a relatively neutral bass. Treble is a little low in level on the Momentum though, so it may sound a little boring/mellow. The HP50 has a bright, elevated treble, but not to the point of being overwhelming. Think about the 50s as having a smiley-face eq curve. While the M100s are superbly sturdy and good looking I think they're too far from neutral to the extent that you might get a headache after listening for an hour or so because of all the added bass. The momentum is less fatiguing, however my favorite of the three is the HP50.

I would have to disagree.  The HP50's treble is very laid back.  I would say they are slightly warm but more or less neutral.  I quite liked its signature except for the too polite treble.  Too back the headband is terrible and might not fit a large head comfortably.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 14
  I am deciding between the NAD VISO HP50 and the V Moda m100. They both look really promising. I listen to mostly hard rock, symphonic metal, new age orchestral, and electronic dance and trance. I have medium size ears, but a pretty large head (I have to put a pair of bose oe2 on the largest setting to fit my head). Has anyone tried both of these headphones and prefer one over the other, or does it really just come down to what type of music you listen to? Also, I have a Fiio e6 portable amp. Would this help running it off of a phone?

For those genres, just get the M100 and don't look back. When the guitars are soaring and the kick drum is pounding you'll thank me.

May 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 14
I just returned my set of M100's. They are a fantastic set of headphones but not without issues. I have a big head too, and big ears.... The m100 out of the box is extremely uncomfortable. I was really only able to listen to a couple songs before the pain set in. I added in the paper towel mod and while it helped, it wasn't a final solution. So count on picking up the XL pads.

The sound is absolutely fantastic for pop songs or r&b, for rock... not so much. I found the guitars could get pretty muddy sounding. That and the comfort was a deal breaker for me, especially for the price. 

While I have not heard the hp50, I would be nervous to try it out because I think comfort would be an issue. If it helps any I did research for days on end for a headphone set around the 300 dollar mark and after the disappointed with the M100's... I'm trying the AKG K545 ( a little cheaper) . They are in the mail being shipped to me now. Heres hoping :D

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 14
You might want to read Tylls reviews at Innerfidelity:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/bassheads-delight-v-moda-crossfade-m-100

He characterizes both headphones quite well. To me the HP50 is the more versatile headphone, but less sturdy and therefore less suited to street-use.

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #10 of 14
I have a NAD HP50 headphone, and for me it lacks in bass.
I do listen a lot EDM, and pop. Not so much rock, and never classics and such, so the bass is really important there.

I ordered now used m-100, and UE6000 hoping that one of them can give me that "reference" sound from my beloved Soundmagic E10.
Yes, I find its IEM signature the most balanced for me.

I do have many other IEMs, some are 5 times pricier, but none of them satisfy me more than Soundmagic.
Most of them lack in bass also, but Velodyne v-pulse for instance just seems too much bass, and muddy.

So seems to me, I'm not die hard bass-head ,but I do love some hard hitting low end.

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 14
I do listen a lot EDM, and pop. Not so much rock, and never classics and such, so the bass is really important there.

I ordered now used m-100, and UE6000 hoping that one of them can give me that "reference" sound from my beloved Soundmagic E10.

I do have many other IEMs, some are 5 times pricier, but none of them satisfy me more than Soundmagic.
Most of them lack in bass also, but Velodyne v-pulse for instance just seems too much bass, and muddy.

So seems to me, I'm not die hard bass-head ,but I do love some hard hitting low end.
the hp50 responds well to eq and amps. So eq the bass up.

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 14

Did you get the m100 yet? If so then how do you like it in comparison to the hp50?

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #13 of 14
I have Shure SRH1540, HP50, UE6000 and V-Moda (also ATH M50).

IMHO Shures have distant/recessed mid/vocals and some distracting mid-bass hump.
Really nothing special, and I'm going to sell them.

NAD is the most balanced out there, yet sometimes I want just a little more bass, that's why I bought all the others.
Also they are the closest is signature to HE500 which is very good (but no match for office use).

UE6000 has excellent amount of mids/bass, just the treble is a slightly recessed. Also much less sensitive than others.

V-Moda is really too colored, to compare it with any of aforementioned. Don't get a listen at all.
Also for sale.

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks! I finally got the m100 and absolutely love them. The only problem I have is long term comfort, even with XL pads. Other than that they are almost as clear as the NAD HP50 but with more bass. Yes the midrange isn't as forward but at least it appears level to my ears. I really enjoy the bass for music that thrives on it. For acoustic, classical, etc. The v-moda m100 is only so so. It all depends on what you listen to really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back