NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Sep 10, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #62 of 3,345
Hey whats up guys, could the guys who listened to these headphones explain if they give the same SQ as the m4u 1 / 2?

Im looking for an upgrade to my ATH m50 and these look great, not sure if they would do well for desktop only use/soundcard :)

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #63 of 3,345
I made a trip down, little did I know, this ended my pursue for my chase for portable headphones.... 

These headphones are sooo un-assuming, I thought it would be like the typical B & W p5 headphones, unusual design with sub-par quality sound... the design part is unique as P5, but the sound blows the P5 out of this universe...

First of all these headphones are very clean sounding headphones, bright I may say, but not overly bright like the K550 or HD800 that kinda bright... nor does it sound artifical like the K550 ( K550 makes me feel like I am chewing ice-cube)... The highs, the mids, the lows are exactly reflected where they should be... these are actually very similar to the m4u 1 , very clean sounding but not fatiguing... but one thing it has over the m4u as per mentioned is the bass, it has definitely more well extended bass than the m4u without affecting the mids and the highs... It is quality bass rather than quantity bass...

when listening with the m4u1, it makes you know there is music playing, however hp50 makes you feel you are inside the music, so immersive and the soundstage is brilliant, as immersive as the momentum/kefM500 but the soundstage blows the M500/momentum out of the water, it obviously isnt as wide as the HD800, but when listening to Adele, it makes you feel as if You are stuck in an acoustic room with her and she is trying to seduce you... it is that room feel , the body of the sound is so good and 3d that you DO NOT NEED an external amp, it sounds so brilliant out of my iphone 4 that I might even consider not buying a DAP...

FIT... these headphones fit perfectly and enclose your ear perfectly IF you have a small/medium ear like me... the leather is a little breathable, I prefer to have velour pads myself but the leather pads might isolate sound better so its a give and take... talking about isolation, these actually isolate very well IF you have the perfect fit for the pads, I cant see they isolate well if you have an enormous ears, sorry elephants these are not for you... 

Housing.... These are actually pretty portable when you sling it to the leather case that comes with the box. I am able to put it nicely inside my sling bad without any awkward buldge to my sling bag. These are obviously not as portable as those foldable headphones, but I find it significantly better portability then the momentum, for the momentum you have to house it in the big-ass casing if you want to bring it on- the go...

Overall, when you combine the cleaness of the M4u1 sound, add extended bass, add the immersiveness of KEF M500/ Momentum and the soundstage of the HD600, you get the HP50...

As the british says : sodding good!

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #64 of 3,345
Interesting first impressions, they look interesting indeed :).

Where can you actually buy these? As I've not seen them online.

Also how does the SQ/bass compare to something like the M100.
Would you use these only as a portable or are they good enough for desktop use paired with a soundcard aswell?

It'd be interesting to hear.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #66 of 3,345
  Interesting first impressions, they look interesting indeed :).

Where can you actually buy these? As I've not seen them online.

Also how does the SQ/bass compare to something like the M100.
Would you use these only as a portable or are they good enough for desktop use paired with a soundcard aswell?

It'd be interesting to hear.

I bought it in Singapore at a retail shop for 350 SGD... you do the maths....

The SQ is so much cleaner than the M100, M100 is so bassy and I find the mids and highs congested as a result but M100 is a fun sounding headphone... HP50 gives you that base of M100 and much cleaner mids and highs ...

As for desktop, I do not think you need an amp but you need a good DAC/ soundcard. I plugged it straight from my computer, the sound feels congested and bloaty, but pair it with the ODAC, the sound is so much cleaner and listenable....

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #67 of 3,345
how does it sound with a soundcard only?
Are the hp50 ''fun'' aswell? And is there a global release date know or an online shop?
Do they fit comfy or do they tend to slide of your head?

thats pretty good pricing by the way.

cheers

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #68 of 3,345
  how does it sound with a soundcard only?
Are the hp50 ''fun'' aswell? And is there a global release date know or an online shop?
Do they fit comfy or do they tend to slide of your head?

thats pretty good pricing by the way.

cheers

It will sound awesome with good soundcard...

The HP50 are not "fun", they are "smooth" and "extremly accurate". Fun to me is along the lines of custom one pro and M100...The fit is perfect , will not slide off your head, Comfy wise... they are comfortable enough as there are space to breath within the pads.... the clamping force is just right, I would say for me even more comfy than the M100....

I have no idea whens and wheres is the release globally, sorry about that....

hope you get to try one for yourself and hopefully get blown away as much as I did.... :)

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #70 of 3,345

It will sound awesome with good soundcard...

The HP50 are not "fun", they are "smooth" and "extremly accurate". Fun to me is along the lines of custom one pro and M100...The fit is perfect , will not slide off your head, Comfy wise... they are comfortable enough as there are space to breath within the pads.... the clamping force is just right, I would say for me even more comfy than the M100....

I have no idea whens and wheres is the release globally, sorry about that....

hope you get to try one for yourself and hopefully get blown away as much as I did.... :)

Great comments.  It sounds like they could be a nice complement to my M-100.  I am anticipating their US arrival.

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #73 of 3,345
After a few more listens, I would like to balance the book, these are the negatives (IMO)...

1) In order to create the 'room feel', there are 'echoes'... it is like a acoustic concert hall where you are at the last row, the voice sometimes will have waves of echoes behind them. This became very prominent when I listen to 'Rolling in the deep' by Adele, it will not appear the whole song, rather some of the quieter, more acoustic passages... but some of the other songs will not have it at all.... these is a unique feature and CAN be a make a break deal to some.... and you will only notice it ONLY when you give it a serious listen ....

2) These cans CAN isolate outside noise but they do leak, and the leakage is quite bad. If you are alone, you will have no problem blasting the volume, but if you are in a subway/Library and you do not want people to listen to your music, you need to adjust your music to low volume and even then, they still do leak...

However, the sounds that comes of these cans is so good, I am willing to forgive the flaws (for now)... 

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #74 of 3,345
Uh, how can they leak if they are closed cans
confused.gif

Is there an opening between the earcups and the headband assembly?

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #75 of 3,345
No idea...

If you are listening in a quiet room, the sound leak is quite prominent. However when used in a subway/noisy environment... at low to medium level, the sound leak is very very low and very acceptable, and no ppl would notice it... but at higher volume, the leak is so prominent you are warranting an arrest...

As for the opening... when putting these cans on, it felt sealed and you dont feel any opening... the clamp is just tight enough but not extreme clamp like the FA003/HM5 and maybe that is the reason for the sound leak... more clamp = less sound leak maybe...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back