NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jun 1, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #3,151 of 3,345
I have had mine for two years. I stretched them for ages at the time..actually bent some of the metal..which is risky.

To bad, flexing the headband and putting books between the cups has worked wonders for me. When I first got them they were so tight I could last maybe 15 minutes before my head ached. When I watch Blue Jays and Toronto Raptors games I hate listening to the announcers so I put on my headphones and listen to music while I watch with my glasses on. I noticed the headphones on my head for maybe 15 minutes and then I forget I have them on. They are often on for 2 to 3 hours at a time and completely comfortable now. Perhaps NAD changed the headband in later releases as mine don't seem as square on top as the original units I looked at in 2014.

I certainly wouldn't have bought a second pair if my first pair weren't totally comfortable. I plan to take the long term route in adjusting the headband. I will leave them stretched out between books for several days and see if they will gradually get comfortable instead of flexing the headband.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #3,152 of 3,345
I have a smallish head but big ears, and I bought my HP 50 used, so I might just be lucky, but I’ve never found them uncomfortable. Cramping pressure is just right for my head, and the pads are just big enough, and I’ve never felt any pain on my head or ears from the HP 50.

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #3,153 of 3,345
I have a smallish head but big ears, and I bought my HP 50 used, so I might just be lucky, but I’ve never found them uncomfortable. Cramping pressure is just right for my head, and the pads are just big enough, and I’ve never felt any pain on my head or ears from the HP 50.

Do you have a problem getting a good seal with your Mr. Potato head? :o2smile: I mean I have a fairly big head and I would say average sized ears but I need to be careful a little when positioning the cups to get a good seal. As large as my head is I only go down 1 notch on the extenders so I would have thought someone with a smaller head might have seal issues.

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #3,155 of 3,345
Do you have a problem getting a good seal with your Mr. Potato head? :o2smile: I mean I have a fairly big head and I would say average sized ears but I need to be careful a little when positioning the cups to get a good seal. As large as my head is I only go down 1 notch on the extenders so I would have thought someone with a smaller head might have seal issues.

Haha, no, although on my little noggin’, I find I don’t need to extend them at all - but no problems getting a seal. :)

Jun 4, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #3,159 of 3,345
Wondering if anyone actually ordered a set of these earpads?

Interesting, they do look like actual HP50 earpads and not the brainwavz. Funny but my white HP50's have black earpads so not sure where the white replacements would come from. Seems awfully cheap price for these earpads, the brainwavz are like $32 CDN vs I think $12 on the site. Not sure if I would trust the quality. I got a reply back from NAD finally on my email asking if replacement earpads can be bought. I had to email them proof of purchase before they would give me a response, still waiting. Since I bought a second backup pair of HP50's probably won't bother getting additional earpads after all. I would like to know how much NAD would charge for them though.

Jun 4, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #3,160 of 3,345
Do a search in this thread for the guy who successfully performed a transplant using a set of shooting headphones.

I saw on a site where someone took the earcups apart to try and improve the seal or something, just a matter of removing 4 screws I believe. Apparently they are fairly modular in design and should be easy to repair or tweak. Not sure about the headband though, I guess if you don't want to preserve the existing padding you could remove it or just maybe cover over the existing leather headband with more leather. It might even give you a little more padding on the headband as well.

I don't know, having two pairs I thought about maybe at some point adding some more foam on the headband to make it more rounded and less square. Then get someone to sew another piece of leather over it.

Jun 5, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #3,161 of 3,345
The reason I mentioned searching that particular mod is he undid the stitching on the headband and clearly pictured the pre-tensioned thin metal band and wire connecting the cups.

After removing the broken wire and cleaning up the connections on both ends it was clear cleanly fabricating and installing new padding and cover on the headband would be quite difficult. So he Canucked the heck up and mounted the cups on the above mentioned frame from some shooting ear protection.

Tl;dr Repair the surface to stop it from flaking or deal with the hard to replace padding/cover in your own fashion.

Those pads look so cheap I'm still debating it. They might be exactingly produced copies that outlive the headphones. Or more likely possessed of hilarious bad shortcomings.

Jun 6, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #3,162 of 3,345
Getting pretty fed up with NAD customer service,

A simple question as to whether replacement earpads can be purchased. You would think I was applying for a mortgage for god sake. Three emails so far from them each time wanting more information on my purchase. Jeez I am not trying to make a warranty claim, just trying to see if I can buy some extra earpads. If I hadn't bought a second pair I might have just ordered some brainwavz to try out and be done with NAD already

Jun 6, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #3,163 of 3,345
The reason I mentioned searching that particular mod is he undid the stitching on the headband and clearly pictured the pre-tensioned thin metal band and wire connecting the cups.

After removing the broken wire and cleaning up the connections on both ends it was clear cleanly fabricating and installing new padding and cover on the headband would be quite difficult. So he Canucked the heck up and mounted the cups on the above mentioned frame from some shooting ear protection.

Tl;dr Repair the surface to stop it from flaking or deal with the hard to replace padding/cover in your own fashion.

Those pads look so cheap I'm still debating it. They might be exactingly produced copies that outlive the headphones. Or more likely possessed of hilarious bad shortcomings.

Well I don't know, not super impressed with the stitch work on the earpads on either pair of HP50's I bought. The stitching is pretty misaligned and this is what I am most concerned will not hold up over time. I have to wonder if these units were so cheap because they were manufacturer rejects because of the poor stitching. I mean I can't complain saving $460 CDN on the two pairs but still would be nice to have some backups.

Do you have any idea how old these modded pairs were when he had to do the repairs? Would like to get some idea how long I can expect them to last.

Jun 6, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #3,164 of 3,345
Getting pretty fed up with NAD customer service,

A simple question as to whether replacement earpads can be purchased. You would think I was applying for a mortgage for god sake. Three emails so far from them each time wanting more information on my purchase. Jeez I am not trying to make a warranty claim, just trying to see if I can buy some extra earpads. If I hadn't bought a second pair I might have just ordered some brainwavz to try out and be done with NAD already
Search on the NAD website for importer in your country and send the e-mail to them instead. Ask if they sell directly or ask for NAD dealer in your area they work with. Thats what I did and it worked perfect. Bought original replacement pads at the end for EUR 18. Regarding Brainwavz, not sure if they ad new line already, but at the time I asked them they didnt confirm any pads that they sell that can be used as direct replacement, so, either they bigger or differ. Good luck.

Jun 7, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #3,165 of 3,345
I now own these again after selling a pair in 2015.

I distinctly remember the frankenstein headband of my original pair but my new pair looks normal. Has anybody confirmed that nad have changed it?? It looks the same geometrically as the headband on the HP70. The ear cup material is also different from memory.

Anyway, I'm glad to have them back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back