NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Nov 28, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #2,566 of 3,345
I would not call these neutral. They sound pretty natural, but imo they do have a mid bass emphasis. Bass extension is decent, they would be good for gaming I think.

While not technically neutral as in ruler flat, I think HP50 has the most natural sounding frequency response/tonality than any other headphone I've heard. Headphones like HD600 and HD800 which are technically flatter than HP50, sound a bit thin in comparison IMO.

Nov 28, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #2,568 of 3,345
While not technically neutral as in ruler flat, I think HP50 has the most natural sounding frequency response/tonality than any other headphone I've heard. Headphones like HD600 and HD800 which are technically flatter than HP50, sound a bit thin in comparison IMO.

Try audio technica r70x. Very natural, balanced sound without the mid bass hump the hp50s have.

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #2,570 of 3,345
They do give a satisfactory thump through the mid bass but I always thought they were a bit lacking in the sub bass region, nothing a little eq can't fix.

What source did you use with them? I find HP50 to have plenty of tight sub bass presence with my Fiio X5 headphone out, Fiio E12A or JDS O2. When the headphone is being powered by lower quality amps, the sub bass can lack some tightness in the sub bass and so the region may seem lacking. I notice this issue when I drive my HP50 out of a Fiio X1 headphone out, a typical smartphone, integrated soundcard or cheap consumer portable players.

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #2,572 of 3,345

What source did you use with them? I find HP50 to have plenty of tight sub bass presence with my Fiio X5 headphone out, Fiio E12A or JDS O2. When the headphone is being powered by lower quality amps, the sub bass can lack some tightness in the sub bass and so the region may seem lacking. I notice this issue when I drive my HP50 out of a Fiio X1 headphone out, a typical smartphone, integrated soundcard or cheap consumer portable players.

I used them mainly out of my idevices and sometimes out of my marantz cd player. Neither of them had a satisfactory sub bass response for my tastes, i found it most noticeable when playing hip hop or movie scores, the thunderous low end i enjoy just was not there. I suspect the improper fit had something to do with it.

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #2,573 of 3,345
I'm sure the cable is very nice. I said what I said because I looked up that very cable on their website and it is presently $275 for the NAD VISO HP50 version. That's more than the cost of the headphones, so I thought you'd spent that.

old post

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #2,574 of 3,345

I'm sure the cable is very nice.  I said what I said because I looked up that very cable on their website and it is presently $275 for the NAD VISO HP50 version.  That's more than the cost of the headphones, so I thought you'd spent that.

I tried to find the $275 NAD VISO HP50-specific cable you mentioned but I couldn't. Could you send the link? I'm curious to see how this $275 cable differs from the silver dragon that I previously purchased that has now been re-tasked for the HP50's.

http://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-headphone-cable-v3.html

I jusr searched moon audio silver dragon cable and that's it.  The NAD HP50 option is in the "headphone connection type" pull down menu, halfway down with the Fidelio X1.  The premium version is $445!

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #2,576 of 3,345
Apologies in advance for going a little OT, but it's Sunday morning and I'm watching pro-football players walking into the stadium - and 4 out of 5  players are sporting full-size headphones - wish my phone-recognition skills were more developed.
It makes me wonder if the unifying thread that connects us all is repetitive head-trauma.......

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #2,579 of 3,345
Insanity.

Insanity, indeed - but at least we are able to self-treat with large doses of high-quality audio!

On the NFL watching front, I see that players are wearing headphones on the field during preliminary warm-ups,too.

There don't seem to be many IEM fans in the NFL, however.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #2,580 of 3,345

It makes me wonder if the unifying thread that connects us all is repetitive head-trauma.......

You might be on to something!

There don't seem to be many IEM fans in the NFL, however.

Or they are just much harder to see on camera compared to a big pair o'cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back