NAD Viso HP30, anyone?
Sep 8, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #46 of 57
  Just came here out of curiosity because I love my HP50's only to find bad feedback about the 30's. Oh well, it still keeps me from buying the headphone which is a help for sure.
Thanks for writing up all this guys.

Yeah well stick with the HP50's. the HP30 is nowhere near as nice as that. If you stuffed a sock in each ear of the hp50 and also removed the backs so they're kind of open leaky and non isolating, and made them out of clamping and things unpleasant to touch the ear, you have the HP30. I'd be happy to test anything but they have gone back to Amazon. Quickest turnaround yet - about 45 minutes and they were at the pick-up point.

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #47 of 57
  what a shame, suck beautiful design headphone 
triportsad.gif

I know. I was VERY disappointed, but this is just my opinion. Sheldaze is trying them properly, though it's not looking promising. The fold method is very stupid, by the way - an ideal way to break these headphones.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #48 of 57
Perfect timing - there's a meeting going on across the hall. That combined with the HVAC, computers, the sound of my typing on this keyboard to write this - I can definitely conclude there is almost zero sound deadening happening with these headphones. It sounds only slightly more closed than my open Grado headphones. The NAD HP30 are cutting out the highest frequencies, making the other sounds that much more noticeable.

Onto the sound. The imbalance is noticeable even during the commercial break, prior to playing a music video on YouTube. The announcers voice sounds muffled. Still, to my ears, there is something missing - the lower part of the treble, the highest part of the mids? I'm not technical - I just like good sound. It completely trashed one of my favorites, Peter Gabriel - Don't Give up. Well, I'm giving up for music.

Onto talking tech videos. Well, for this, it's not bad. Tech videos with questionable sound quality are fine through this headphone. But there's yet another issue. The cable is so short that it is actually suspended in the air between my head and the computer. If this was meant for portable use, I agree with the previous comments. I would have assumed it had more sound insulation, and likely a single headphone connector so that you have fewer tangle issues. As such, it truly seems like another headphone without much purpose.

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #49 of 57
I've a pair of these in house now for review.  It's been years since I heard the HP50, before burn in, I have to say that the bass has a bit of a euphoricness to it while the treble seems a little more settled.  The midrange holds plenty of air while vocals and clarity hit high with a good amount of warmth all around. I'm compiling the headphones I'll be comparing these to before I send them back after the review.  I don't have too many on-ears, but here's a short list: 
  1. V-Moda XS (no longer have the M-80s)
  2. Bowers & Wilkins P5 (gen 2, don't have a gen 1)
  3. Blueant Embrace
  4. Phiaton MS 430 Fusion

Before I leave, some general impressions.  The headphones themselves are a little less "flat" than they looked in the pictures.  The ear pads are a little weird, but can be removed (they are proprietary).  The headband will cause issues after a while being similar to a thin bar that sits across your head (like the Bowers & Wilkins P3, and P5).  

They look great with a nice modern design

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #51 of 57
tinyman392 looking forward to your review. Impressions will do in the meantime. :bigsmile_face:

Didn't think anyone was interested, so I canned the idea. But, since someone is, I'll do a writ up this weekend :)

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #52 of 57
@tinyman392 looking forward to your review. Impressions will do in the meantime.
bigsmile_face.gif

I should also mention, that I did post my official review of the HP30 a little while back: http://www.ifans.com/forums/threads/nad-viso-hp30.418085/

Nov 30, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #54 of 57
That's a really nice review. Thanks!

No problem.  Sorry about the tardiness of the comparison.  Busy with school lately, neural networks not going the way I want them to...  Personal problems :p  Good news is that this is the last week of classes, bad news is that finals are the week after :p  I will get something done though.  

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #55 of 57
@Claritas: Sorry it took a while to get this up, been really busy with other reviews, projects (school), and finals.  That said, I've taken the BlueAnt Embrace out of the comparison (if you want to read that comparison, let me know, I can add it in!  Let me know ASAP though, I need to send the HP30 back to NAD :p).  

NAD VISO HP30 vs Buncha' Headphones

The NAD VISO HP30 walks itself into a price bracket that is dense with competition priced right around 230 dollars.  The V-Moda XS seems like its most logical competitor price-wise, however, the likes of the B&W P5 S2 (I'll just used P5 for this review) will be the closest in terms of sound signature.  With that all said, let's take a closer look at its competition.

NAD VISO HP30

Price: 230 (200 street)
Signature: V-Shaped

Phiaton MS 430

Price: 180 (45 street)
Signature: Neutral

V-Moda XS

Price: 230 (129 street)
Signature: Warm-over-neutral

Bowers & Wilkins P5 S2 

Price: 300 (285 street)
Signature: V-Shaped

NAD VISO HP30 vs Phiaton MS 430

The NAD VISO HP30 and the Phiaton MS 430 are really on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to sound signature.  The HP30 has a V-shape while the MS430 sound neutral in comparison.  So the contrast between the two headphones will definitely be strong.

We'll start out with the bass, where these two differ in just about every way.  The HP30 has a bass that is boomy in contrast to the MS430s with a strong, thick impact (though it stays within its bounds).  The 430 has a smaller, much better controlled punch.  In terms of speed, neither is really the fastest, I'd have to say that the MS 430 might have an edge.  As for depth, both do provide a bit of depth, but the MS430 has a little more of a subtle approach to it while the HP30 can sound more euphoric in comparison.  It's quantity helps it out quite a bit in this area; the 430 can use a little more presence in the deepest lows.

Things take a turn as we dive into the midrange.  There definitely is a smoothness to the way the HP30 handles the midrange.  Details seem to come a little more effortlessly with the MS 430 due to this.  In terms of clarity, however, neither really seem to lack in this department.  The vocals, on the other hand take a quick switch.  The MS 430 keeps them in-line with the instrumentals (quantity wise) while the HP30 gives it a more forward approach.  This also gives vocals a strong dynamic with the HP30.  

As we go up into the highs, we do find that the HP30 does take it when it comes to overall quantity.  The MS 430 are a little more tame with the amount of treble they give you, though the HP30 still do a better job rendering them.  The MS 430 smears some of the treble slightly and almost gets sibilant (though doesn't quite reach sibilance).  The HP30, despite having much more quantity, has a little better clarity and presence overall.  

The Phiaton MS 430 originally retailed for 180 dollars, 50 dollars less than the HP30.  So it makes sense that the NAD would outdo the Phiaton in most categories.  However, the MS 430 has dropped greatly in price to being under 50 dollars, so they may be worth a look in terms of value.  When deciding between the two, the Phiaton is technically inferior, but does have a more neutral sound signature.  

NAD VISO HP30 vs V-Moda XS

The NAD VISO HP30 and V-Moda XS are both priced right at 230 a piece (such a coincidence) so this would be the battle to look for.  They both offer a different sound when it comes what signature they wish to provide.  Once again, you get a warmer signature offered by the V-Moda XS vs the V-shaped signature of the NAD VISO HP30.  

Once again, we'll start in the bass.  Once again, we find the NAD VISO HP30 boomy over the XS (I'm sensing a pattern here).  The bass is simply bigger on the HP30 than on the XS; that's not to say that the XS doesn't have enough quantity, it definitely does.  Both get excellent depth and presence.  In general the XS is a little tighter and faster when it comes to the lows while the HP30 offers a stronger, better-defined impact.  

As we go into the midrange, we do find that both headphones render the music a little smoother than it should.  This does cut into the detailing overall, though the V-Moda do it a less than the NAD.  Clarity is strong on both headphones as well.  The other main difference is in vocal presentation.  The NAD have their way of making vocals a little darker in general.  This results in the XS offering vocals with stronger dynamics over the HP30.  

Walking up the chain once more, we end up in the treble.  Both headphones actually do a terrific job in this area.  Detailing and separation, for both the entire treble range, are great with either pair of headphones.  There is one thing that should be noted, the HP30 offers more energy and quantity in this area while still being able to maintain high quality as well.  

This was probably the battle of battles since both headphones sit at the same price range.  An in reality, both are on par with each other, but for different reasons.  Personally, I feel the V-Moda XS edges out the NAD VISO HP30 slightly, but preference does play a roll into that.  If you're looking for a V-shaped signature, the HP30 is the way to go...  Maybe, the Bowers & Wilkins P5 S2 may have something to say about that.

NAD VISO HP30 vs Bowers & Wilkins P5 S2

Speaker company meets speaker company.  V-shape signature meets V-shape signature.  Who does it better?  The pricier Bowers & Wilkins P5 (Series 2) or the NAD VISO HP30, priced at 300 and 270, respectively?  This is probably the most interesting of the battles as both of these headphones have such similar signatures.  

Oh boy, we've found a headphone that offers more boom than the HP30.  The P5 offers a boom that is slightly (and I stress the word slightly) boomier than what the HP30 offers.  In terms of presentation, they are playing the same game overall.  Good depth comes from both of them as well as presence throughout.  Though, I should note that the P5 does have a slight bias on the sub-bass that the HP30 doesn't have; this can backfire on the P5 at times however causing the bass to lose control.  In terms of speed and tightness...  Who am I kidding?  Neither do a great job at that.  

We'll move into the midrange and find that the HP30 does do a better job in terms of vocal dynamics.  This is the most apparent part to me (keep in mind that this was a weakness of the HP30 against the other headphones).  Clarity and detailing is improved against the P5 as well.  In reality, what ends up happening is that the P5 sounds like it has a slight veil in the midrange in contrast to the HP30.  

Stepping up into the highs, we find very similar presentations once again.  Both offering great detailing and separation throughout the region.  However, the HP30 does have slightly more quantity and thus more energy throughout this area.  This results in a slightly stronger, more dynamic snap as well as sparkle.  Neither really gets sibilant or harsh.  One thing I will mention is that the P5's treble is much easier on the treble and one that I do prefer.  In actuality, however, if you can deal with the extra energy, it's really a wash when it comes to technicalities.  

So this one seems like a no-brainer when it comes to winners: the NAD VISO HP30 offers more controlled bass and more dynamic mids.  However, when we go up top, it's a matter of preference, they both are technically very strong.  I really can't justify spending the extra 70 dollars on the Bowers & Wilkins P5 unless you crucially need the tamer treble.  

Conclusions

The NAD VISO HP30 really is a strong contender in this price range, there is no doubt about that.  It's able to outclass things under its price range and keep up with things in its price range.  Heck, it's able to outclass at least one headphone above its price range.  NAD walked into this battle with a V-shaped signature, a V-shaped signature that outperformed the only other headphone in this range that has one...  So my conclusions: if you're looking for a neuralish/warmer headphone, get the XS, if you want a little more V in your step, the HP30 is probably the headphone for you.  

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #56 of 57
Thanks much tinyman! Your review should be useful to many, as closed on ear is still an underserved niche in contrast to the other form factors.

Mar 11, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #57 of 57
I recently purchased the HP30 and thought they are fantastic sounding, really nice actually. sadly, the shape of my outer-ear doesn't work well with the HP30 and I found them too uncomfortable. I sold them to my friend who found them very comfortable so it really does come down to the fit. Really sad as I love the look and the sound signature of the HP30. I think anybody looking for a stylish, well tuned portable should consider trying the HP30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back