NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Apr 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #106 of 1,623
I would consider the product the pioneer in that area. They have been working out the user interface for 10 years, were bought up by Logitech. When you look at the Bryston server or M50. How many people do they have devoted to that one product, its niche, where Squeezebox thats all they do? Maybe its easier to create than I think... idk. 
Just wondering is all.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #107 of 1,623
Yeah, I know what you mean. But a small transparant OS that manages a large library and is controlable by an iDevice for example, isn't exactly rocket science. So there are a lot of options. I'm just not that interested in squeeze box, just looking into more elegant options.

That and I could use a nice CD player. This one would match. I'm looking into all options for this, but this one is attractive.

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #108 of 1,623

Quote:
Looking good! 

Have any other owner looked into the M50 Media player? Basically the new master series CD player that connects to USB storage and rips CDs and works as the head of a music server (wifi streaming, ipad/pod library remote etc).
Kind of like some of the Vortex Box servers out there. It looks fantastic, but it's a bit on the steep side ($2500 if I am not mistaken). I'm checking with my local NAD dealer to see if she has one, or can get one, and if I can get a good price. A more expensive means of removing the computer from the equation, but possibly more elegant.

That looks like a nice unit! Keep us posted if you try one out. Do you know what connectivity options it has (out to the dac)?

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #109 of 1,623

Quote:

That looks like a nice unit! Keep us posted if you try one out. Do you know what connectivity options it has (out to the dac)?

Yeah, I'm eyeing it and the digital vault (m52). Really expensive server once it's all said and done, but I might go all out. Waiting to hear back from my dealer.

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #110 of 1,623
I didn't check but I assume the M50 has I2S?
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I'm eyeing it and the digital vault (m52). Really expensive server once it's all said and done, but I might go all out. Waiting to hear back from my dealer.

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #111 of 1,623

Quote:

I can't find it in writing. But it does do an HDMI out signal (from attached storage, or CDs / DVDs) to the M51. The M51 states I2S over HDMI compatibility, one would assume this is the method since the 3 are all intended to run together, but currently it's just assumption. 

If my dealer can get me on under retail, and it's available, I'll probably pick it up next week and have more to report. I'm not even sure that they are out yet. The info I can find is from as far back as September and as recent as January, saying it was due in March. It's almost May, so hopefully it's around.

Mac mini would move to the bedroom with the Calyx, and the NAD stack (lol) would be the livingtoom rig. Who knows though, I might chicken out. Nothing is broken with the Mac setup, so I might just be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. I might just buy another mini and more storage and skip all this expensive nonsense.

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #112 of 1,623
I could see myself ending up with 2 completely different rigs similar to where you may end up with the M50. 

The idea of putting the headphone rig in a corner closer to the balcony for 'listening with a view' is appealing. 

Quote:

Quote:

I can't find it in writing. But it does do an HDMI out signal (from attached storage, or CDs / DVDs) to the M51. The M51 states I2S over HDMI compatibility, one would assume this is the method since the 3 are all intended to run together, but currently it's just assumption. 

If my dealer can get me on under retail, and it's available, I'll probably pick it up next week and have more to report. I'm not even sure that they are out yet. The info I can find is from as far back as September and as recent as January, saying it was due in March. It's almost May, so hopefully it's around.

Mac mini would move to the bedroom with the Calyx, and the NAD stack (lol) would be the livingtoom rig. Who knows though, I might chicken out. Nothing is broken with the Mac setup, so I might just be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. I might just buy another mini and more storage and skip all this expensive nonsense.

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #114 of 1,623

Quote:
What is the middle NAD piece without the screen? Power supply?

Their 3TB RAID 5 "digital media vault", the M52. Hook it up to the M50, it rips to that, and you can of course use it as a networks storage.

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #118 of 1,623
apparently more stock is due in .au mid next month and all prior units delivered here sold out very very quickly.

i have put my name down for one, pending an audition as i was looking to upgrade from my nfb2 anyway and this looks like a good fit.

the connectivity options may be a little buggy at this time but as they can upgrade the firmware, it will get fixed soon , its the typical "get it out there and get the market share, then we can patch it later on" attitude, very microsoft like lol but also very typical of the software industry.

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #120 of 1,623
So it's in my main system... A couple comparisons to the Bryston.. Bryston is warmer sounding and more laid back. I'd say the Bryston is still a pretty neutral sounding Dac though. The Nad is not forward sounding either. The Nad makes instruments sound far more real, especially piano. The Nad has less bass, more detail and control than the Bryston. I notice great separation between left and right. Mids are nice. I think you notice more because their is less bass bloom. It doesn't sound thin, but is very different in presentation. The Dac is very fast and captures a ridiculous amount of detail, it's still musical though.
This is just listening to it as a Dac, without the pre function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back